Apple TV to play games? | iLounge News

Apple TV to play games?

The Apple TV could soon be used to play video games, according to an executive at PopCap Games. Greg Canessa, former general manager of Xbox Live Arcade and PopCap’s new vice president of video game platforms, said in an interview with Wired that his company plans to develop PopCap games for several devices, including the Apple TV. “I will help proliferate their titles on other consoles. It’s a broad in scope role,” Canessa said. “It will be about taking the stable of franchises and games out of PopCap’s studio and adapting, customizing it for different platforms—adding multiplayer, new play modes, HD, customizing the user interface and display for Zune, iPod, Apple TV, Nintendo DS, PSP.” PopCap already makes two iPod games—Bejeweled and Zuma.

« Report: EMI considering DRM-free music

Logic3 debuts iStation Traveller iPod speaker system »

Comments

Dashboard: Yes!
Games: whatever.

Come on, how hard can Dashboard be?  Even iPhone has it.

Games, at least, would require a different controller.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 9, 2007 at 9:48 AM (CST)

Dashboard would require a at least prefs syncing with the connected Mac/PC. You have to be able to set the place you want to see a clock or the weather for. For those widgets, ok, maybe.

Many other widgets rely too much alphanumeric input. Those are best left where they are right now: on your Mac/PC.

What might make more sense is to have contextual data present in your iTunes downloads. Have stats available at a sports game. Or pause the film to quickly look up what other stuff the director has made, or where you’ve seen this actress before.

Posted by aapl87 on February 9, 2007 at 11:01 AM (CST)

I could definitely see some kind of dashboard support in the future.  As for games, I would most definitely be interested in those, if they are reasonably priced like the ones for the iPod.  I wonder if apple would offer some kind of controller down the road, or if the Apple Remote would suffice.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 9, 2007 at 11:33 AM (CST)

Dashboard prefs can be set in iTunes, just like all of the other media/content syncing.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 9, 2007 at 10:30 PM (CST)

Is it just me, or does that Canessa guy have some kind of word salad thing going on? I mean, I recognize the words as being part of the English language and all, but the end result doesn’t seem to make any sense. “It’s a broad in scope role” does not roll trippingly off the tongue, but I guess I do try to keep my broads in scope whenever possible.

Posted by Dalek666 on February 10, 2007 at 5:06 AM (CST)

I can already play Bejeweled on my TV with my Wii.  Woot.

Posted by BHSPitMonkey on February 10, 2007 at 2:50 PM (CST)