Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design | iLounge News

Apple unveils all-new iPod nano with aluminum design

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, September 12, 2006
News Categories: iPod nano

image

Apple today introduced its second-generation iPod nano. The all-new nano sports an iPod mini-like aluminum body, 24 hours of battery life, and increased storage capacity. The new nano, which is thinner and lighter than the original model, is available in silver, pink, green, blue and black in sizes from 2GB to 8GB. The new nano also has a brighter display and comes with redesigned earbuds. New software features include gapless playback and a new Search and Quick Scroll.

imageThe new 2GB nano model is available only in silver for $149, the new 4GB model comes in in silver, pink, green and blue for $199, and the new 8GB model in available in black only for $249. Apple also announced new accessories designed for the second-generation nano, including lanyard headphones ($39), an armband ($29), a dock ($29), and an ultra-compact USB power adapter ($29).

Along with the new nano, Apple has also created new packaging. The second-generation nano will come in an all-new transparent plastic box, allowing customers to see which color nano is inside.

image

« Apple acquires CoverFlow iTunes add-on

iTunes 7 announced with movie downloads, new features »

Comments

I wonder if the first generation accessories will still work with the new nano… I called Apple (got through right away -amazing!), but the woman I spoke to didn’t know for sure. It’s all new to her as well. From what she could tell, it seems as though the old docks, lanyard earphones, etc. will work. It would be nice to know. I’d like to order the 8GB, but I hate having to replace everything else too.

Posted by Amy on September 12, 2006 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

I wish the 8GB had all the colours…4GB just isn’t big enough.

Posted by VelvetOrchid on September 12, 2006 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

I wonder how the dimensions of the new nano compare to the old one. Will the old cases and accessories fit on the new model?

Posted by Charles on September 12, 2006 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Sweet!  I bought my nano less than 30 days ago, so I’ll be returning it tonight for a new 8 gigger.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 12, 2006 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

The headphones have been slightly updated, look.

Posted by Devin on September 12, 2006 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

Anyone know when the new 2nd generation iPod nanos are set for release in US and Canada?

Posted by Michelle on September 12, 2006 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

Wow,this new nano looks exactly like what most people thought the first nano would look like(a smaller version of the mini with a color screen).  Thank goodness. My first question is, why did they go the long way around with the first version nano that scratched and scuffed so bad?
My second question, when will the full size iPod get the same treatment?  I mean, it’s obviously a superior design and the colors make it even more personal.  While I like the functionality of the 5th (and now 6th) gen iPod, the design with the clear plastic top and the polished back is sooo 2005.

Posted by Brett on September 12, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

i just purchased the new 8GB from the apple store. According to the confirmation email, it ships tomorrow. Nice!

Posted by rob on September 12, 2006 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

What a shame. I was looking forward to the new Nanos but those things are ugly.

Posted by Steve on September 12, 2006 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

How’s the structural integrity of the new nano? I’m concerned if I put it in my pocket, will I snap it in half?

Posted by Henry on September 12, 2006 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Wow they are seriously ugly

Posted by HellHacker on September 12, 2006 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

Larry, from where did you hear the 2G Nano does gapless playback? - as this is being reported elsewhere only as a feature of the 5.5G devices

Posted by 2 many mixes on September 12, 2006 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

If I remember right, the silver was the most popular iPod Mini colour wasn’t it?  Doesn’t it strike you as a mistake to only be able to get 2 gigs with the silver one?  Surely it would have made more sense to release the silver in all sizes, or at least in the medium size range?

Posted by phennphawcks on September 12, 2006 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

HAHAHA what a joke. 1st gen nano was more cute than 2nd Gen nano. I beleive Apple trying to bring back 3rd and 4th gen ipods suitation like there was nothing happen but color screen. So to me apple just waiting for what Microsoft bring first next year and then after apple will put more attractive ipods. Also (samsung already anounce 32GB and 64GB flash memory)watch out early next year some thing new happen( 30GB and 60GB flash memory ipods)

Posted by Eskay on September 12, 2006 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Awesome!  I can finally regain that .01” of pocket depth my current Nano hordes.

Posted by EthanPeter on September 12, 2006 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

Aluminum is very scratch resistant, at least in your pocket that is. Drop your nano or mini and prepare for smushed corners.

That said this is a great upgrade. I’d love to get another 2GB and shave off 3/4 the mass of my 6GB mini. :D

Posted by minty on September 12, 2006 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

not as sexy as the original nano

Posted by jesse on September 12, 2006 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

I consider getting the 8GB nano, I already have the 30GB, but i don’ need that much space. But do you think that there will be new ‘bigger’ nanos early next year?

Posted by Pilot on September 16, 2006 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

I have an iPod nano Pink and I absolutely love it.  It is much better than the mini because it has a bigger screen and it is not just black and white

Posted by musik4life89 on February 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM (PDT)