Apple unveils iPad 2, coming March 11th | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPad 2, coming March 11th

During its Media Event today Apple unveiled the latest-generation iPad. Dubbed the iPad 2, Steve Jobs described the new model as an entirely new design. Building on last year’s A4 chip, the iPad 2 features a dual-core A5 chip which provides essentially two processors for twice the performance. Graphics performance in the new model has been enhanced even further with nine times the performance of the first-generation model. Despite the performance improvements, the A5 chip provides the same lower power consumption as last year’s A4 chip, providing the same legendary 10-hour battery life as the first-generation iPad.

As anticipated, the iPad 2 will also include two video cameras—one rear and one front camera for FaceTime, video and photo capture similar to the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch. The new model also adds the gyroscope sensor first introduced on the iPhone 4 last summer. Despite the extra hardware, the iPad 2 comes in at 66% of the thickness of the original iPad at 8.8mm—thinner than the iPhone 4, and reducing the weight to 1.3 pounds.

The iPad 2 will be available in two colours—black and white, both available from launch day, as well as 3G versions for both AT&T and Verizon at launch. The iPad 2 is expected to retail at the same prices as last year’s original iPad, with the 16GB model selling for $499 in the U.S. Expected release date is March 11th in the United States, followed by a simultaneous release in 26 other countries on March 25th.

« Apple demonstrates FaceTime, Photo Booth for iPad 2

Apple: 100 million iBooks, 15 million iPads, 100 million iPhones sold »

Comments

Sucks!
Why even have a press event for MINOR hardware and practically NO software updates?!
I’m SO SICK of Apple claiming “Total Redesign”, “ALL NEW”, “Unprecedented” whatever,  like every product every year, it’s slightly thinner, slightly lighter and has a camera, not even a good camera, the rear camera shoots HD video only, no stills, old iPod Nano camera?  So you can take still photos of your face only?
I/Everyone would be just as happy with a usable camera/ better battery life than a 33% thinner/ upto 15% lighter iPad!
No one was complaining about the original thickness, people wanted; a camera, anti glare….whatever, tons of things. this is s—-, their incremental updates are getting way more meager. And their marketing is promoting a disposability that is bordering on offensive!
SHAME TO ALL WHO BUY THIS AFTER BUYING THE iPAD1 !
IT IS THE SAME! YOU ALREADY HAVE A CAMERA IN YR POCKET!
SAVE YOUR MONEY CONSERVE THE ENERGY/RESOURCES!
DON’T BUY INTO PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!

It’s Malibu Stacey’s New Hat all over again!

Posted by rob on March 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

@#1 Hey Bill Gates! How are things these days?

Posted by Jim on March 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

I disagree with rob on some of his points. People DID complain about the thickness and subsequent weight of the original iPad. And I see more than just “MINOR” hardware improvements here. The A5 processor, two cameras, gyroscope…and thinner/lighter with the same battery life. That is fairly significant. Why totally redesign in year 2? And as for no new software, what about the iOS 4.3? That appears to be pretty significant. Especially with a greatly enhanced AirPlay that allows streaming of App AND web content via Apple TV. That has the potential to be huge.

I will agree that there were some letdowns here as well. I was hoping for double the storage across the board. For a device designed to store/play HD video, 16GB is pretty minimal. After apps, music and assorted other data (photos!) is synched, that will cut down on the amount of video you can carry around. Heck, my iPhone has 16GB. I would think the entry level iPad should be 32GB with models carrying 64 and 128. I also would have liked a dedicated SD slot. I plan on using the iPad to offload/store photos while traveling with my kids teams. The separate photo adapter works, but is hardly ideal. It is just one more thing to keep track of. And last but not least, I was really hoping for that antiglare screen. I am honestly not sure it isn’t an improved screen with less glare. I guess time will tell.

But over all, I am happy with this. I did not buy the original iPad. I didn’t even decide it would be useful until October. At that point, it would have been crazy to shell out the cash…knowing that iPad2 was around the corner. And I was not alone. I really think this version is aimed at those that held off for one reason or another, not necessarily at those that have had an iPad less than a year. That model works with the iPhone simply because AT&T (and now Verizon) subsidized an upgrade. If people had to pay full price, they would just wait out their contracts. That would put them on schedule to upgrade every 2 years. Which is how I see the iPad model playing out. iPad1 then iPad 3…iPad2 buyers refresh with iPad4. That is how I will do it anyway. smile

Posted by Mitch on March 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

@ #1:  Wow!  getting pretty bent out of shape for something that is optional for you to own.  I’ve got a solution for you - DON’T BUY ONE!  You should prolly hold off on buying any other piece of electronic equipment/PC because it will inevitably become obsolete next year.

Posted by jkoz73 on March 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

That’s funny, I could have sworn I read somewhere that it COULD take still photos. Oh yeah… from iLounge First Looks:

“Apple has added FaceTime, Photo Booth, and Camera apps to the iPad. FaceTime offers full-screen video calling to another iOS or Mac device. Photo Booth lets you snap photographs of yourself and apply realtime filters like the ones in the same-named Mac application. And Camera allows for full-screen snapshotting from the front or rear camera, as well as video recording with both cameras, albeit at different resolutions.”

We’ve been waiting since Christmas for this and have enough set aside for a 64gb model.

Posted by ScooterD35 on March 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Thanks Scooter,

I was unsure about that fact in my first post. But, I have now read that the rear camera will take still photos. Apple did not specify any megapixels or quality indicators though. I will just hope that it takes a decent snapshot. I have a real camera for REAL pictures anyway.

I have a pile of giftcards from Christmas that are also going to a 64GB iPad2. Now, do I want black or white? Decisions, decisions…

Posted by Mitch on March 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

There are a few nice features, but overall this is a fairly conservative update. I just hope lots of people don’t rush out to buy this thing because they have to have the new electronic status symbol.

Posted by Jerome on March 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM (PDT)