Apple unveils iPhone 4 with front-facing camera, LED flash, more | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPhone 4 with front-facing camera, LED flash, more

image

As expected, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today unveiled the iPhone 4, with over 100 new features. Similar to the leaked prototype, the 9.3mm thick device—24% thinner than the iPhone 3GS—has aluminosilicate glass, chemically strengthened to be 30 times harder than plastic, on both the front and back with steel around the sides that also serves as part of the antenna system. As expected, its 3.5-inch display—which Apple is dubbing a “Retina display” due to its 326 pixel-per-inch pitch that’s above the limit of the human retina to differentiate the pixels—offers four times the resolution (960 x 640) of the current iPhone display, IPS technology, 78% of the pixels on the iPad, and an 800:1 contrast ratio, also four times that of the iPhone 3GS.

“iPhone 4 is the biggest leap since the original iPhone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “FaceTime video calling sets a new standard for mobile communication, and our new Retina display is the highest resolution display ever in a phone, with text looking like it does on a fine printed page. We have been dreaming about both of these breakthroughs for decades.”

Continue reading for more on iPhone 4.

imageThe iPhone 4 is powered by the Apple A4 chip, the same chip found in the iPad. Thanks to the power management features of the A4, along with the larger battery, the iPhone 4 achieves 7 hours of 3G talk time, 6 hours of browsing over 3G, 10 hours of Wi-Fi use, 10 hours of video playback, 40 hours of music playback, and 300 hours of standby time. A gyroscope will be included in addition to the accelerometer for sensing rotation, pitch, roll, and yaw; enabling more accurate, six-axis motion sensing when used with the accelerometer.

A new camera system was developed for the iPhone 4, with a larger five-megapixel, backside illuminated sensor that keeps the sensor’s pixels the same size as on the iPhone 3GS while improving low light performance. The autofocus system keeps the same tap-to-focus interface of the iPhone 3GS, adding a 5x digital zoom, and an LED flash; the camera will shoot HD video at 720p at 30 fps, and will also allow for use of the LED while recording. In addition, videos will benefit from the enhanced editing capabilities of a new iMovie application for the iPhone, which will be $5 from the App Store. Other iPhone 4 features include dual microphones for noise cancellation, a MicroSIM slot to allow for the larger battery, 802.11n Wi-Fi, and Quad-band HSDPA/HSUPA wireless, the latter standard not yet supported by most cellular carriers, but capable of increasing uploading and downloading performance.

The front-facing camera will work with a new feature called FaceTime video conferencing, which works from any iPhone 4 to any iPhone 4, anywhere there is Wi-Fi, with no setup required; it’s as simple as making a phone call. Callers can flip between the front or rear camera to let people see what they’re seeing in real time, and it works in portrait or landscape mode. Jobs said the company will work with cellular providers to offer the feature over cellular networks, but for 2010, the feature will be Wi-Fi only. The feature is based on H.264 with AAC audio, and Apple plans to offer the various components of the video calling technology feature as an open industry standard.

iPhone 4 will be available in white or black and with 16GB of storage for $199 or 32GB of storage for $299; any AT&T customer whose contract expires in 2010 will be eligible for the upgrade pricing. In addition, a new 8GB iPhone 3GS model will be introduced at $99. Pre-orders for the iPhone 4 will start June 15, with the launch coming on June 24 in five countries—the U.S. France, Germany, the U.K., and Japan. An additional 18 countries will follow in July, including Canada, with 24 more countries in August, and 40 more in September for a total of 88 by end of that month. Apple will also offer a new Dock for iPhone 4 for $29, and a new iPhone Bumper Case, in an array of six colors, for $29.

« iLounge’s full WWDC 2010 play-by-play transcript posted

iPhone OS 4 renamed iOS 4, coming June 21 »

Comments

Great new (i)phone! But it’s still slaved to AT&T so I’m not interested. Like the man in the WWDC crowd said: “Verizon!”

Posted by Herr Doktor on June 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

I am a little confused.  So is the “upgrade” pricing $199 and $299 or will it be different for existing AT&T iPhone customers?  I wouldn’t call it upgrade pricing if new customers are going to pay the same price for one as those of us already using one.

Posted by Paul Atkinson on June 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM (CDT)

The $199/$299 pricing appears to be for upgraders and new purchasers alike—so long as you have a contract expiring in 2010, that’s the price.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on June 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

Paul - The “upgrade” pricing refers to the price AT&T will offer customers already locked into a 2 year contract for their iPhone 3GS from last summer. If you were to buy an iPhone contract-free or before your upgrade date (usually 18 months into your 24 month commitment), you would be paying something like $500 for the phone. Essentially you are “early upgrading” for the same price you would pay as a new customer or someone at the end of their commitment. AT&T did this last year at the 3GS launch as well.

Posted by Mitch on June 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

Without either a price-drop or capacity increase (at the current price points) this becomes MUCH less attractive to me.

Posted by IDSmoker on June 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

so wgat so I get over just upgrading my 3Gs to os4?
1. new front and rearcam
2. better display

but what else that is a gamechanger?.

Posted by glen e on June 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

glen e - Sounded like a considerably improved battery, better/integrated antenna, faster processor, 802.11 n wireless (I thought the 3GS was 802.11 g, but I may be mistaken). This appears to be a sizable update from what I am reading. The “webcam” feature alone is pretty impressive.

Posted by Mitch on June 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

I don’t get it. I bought a 3GS last July with a 2 year contract. How much for a 16gb iPhone 4 if I want to upgrade?

Posted by franscene on June 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM (CDT)

So does this support voice dialing over bluetooth?  It’s still a sore point for me with my 3G.

Posted by ajdornier on June 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

Mitch - thanks..not sure I need all those new things - never ran out of batt, use it as a phone only and my ipad does the rest…we’ll see….

Posted by glen e on June 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

Can someone answer my question? I’d like to know what would be the price of a 16gb iPhone 4 if I bought a 3GS last July with a 2 year contract. Thanks!

Posted by franscene on June 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

What is the OFFICIAL clock speed of the A4? I find it highly suspicious Apple didn’t mention 1Ghz… And what about RAM? 256 MB or 512 MB?

Posted by Brian on June 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

No Verizon = Kiss My Ass Apple!  I am SICK AND TIRED OF AT&T BEING THE SOLE PROVIDER!  This is bull____!

Posted by Tak on June 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

64GB would have made me an iPhone owner. I think it looks great though and, considering the baby steps up to now, this is a good jump but I’ll be hanging on for a capacity boost.

Posted by BeefJerky on June 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

im getting one! ... i haven’t got he last one cause i waited for the front facing cam .. here it is

Posted by dennis on June 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM (CDT)

Hey, look! It’s still tied to AT&T!

*sighs and continues browsing the Android phones on Sprint where I have unlimited data…*

Posted by Daniel S. on June 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM (CDT)

I have to agree with BeefJerky. I was disappointed that there was not a 64GB version and will hold off of being an iPhone user until later. I’ll have to be satisfied with my 64GB iPod Touch. Don’t get me wrong, I do thing the iPhone 4 features are great, especially the screen (I do a lot of reading on my iPod Touch), but I have 32 GB of audio (compressed to 128 kbps AAC), and that would take up all the memory on the biggest iPhone 4.

Posted by Steve M. on June 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM (CDT)

If it turns out to be the best phone ever created…it’s only as good as the service provider.  At least 50-60% of my (iphone 3G) calls end up with a “dropped call”.  I can’t logically buy a phone that is stuck with AT&T.  It is amazing how people put up with the horrible service and will actually extend another 2 years.  OK, maybe everyone doesn’t experience what I have, but most people I talk to have the same results in the LA area.  AT&T has prevented me from even thinking about the iphone 4.

Posted by Earldom in Los Angeles, CA on June 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM (CDT)

idsmoker, dont be surprised if the 199$ iPhone 4 turns out to be a 16gb and the 299$ will be 32gb… just my guess.  i was really hoping to hear something about verizon but you know what… as long as att will let me keep my current unlimited data then they can have my soul for another 2 years.

Posted by skip on June 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM (CDT)

At least it now has flash!

Posted by Mr.Flibble on June 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >