Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 13, 2006
News Categories: iPod nano

image

As expected, Apple today announced the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition. The 4GB RED nano, which is available immediately, features a red aluminum enclosure and sells for $199. Apple will contribute $10 from the sale of each RED nano to the Global Fund to help fight HIV/AIDS in Africa as part of a partnership with the (PRODUCT) RED initiative created by U2’s Bono and Bobby Shriver. Apple said it will also offer a $25 iTunes (PRODUCT) RED gift card next month.

“We’re ecstatic that Apple is giving their customers the choice to buy a red iPod nano and help women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa,” said Bono, co-founder of (RED). “It’s wonderful to see this incredible level of commitment from companies that are willing to lend their creativity in the fight against AIDS in Africa, the greatest health crisis in 600 years.”

“Now customers can buy the best music player in the world and do something to help the world at the same time,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’re honored to work with Bono, (RED) and this team to contribute to an incredibly important initiative and help change the way people think about AIDS in Africa.”

« Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card

DLO debuts Care Kit for iPods »

Comments

given the alleged profit margins on nanos…is $10/unit really that much of a sacrifice for apple?

granted, i know nothing about their philanthropic efforts, so this may be just a portion of their overall budget of helping…in which case, bravo.

Posted by OnlyShawn on October 13, 2006 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

I, too, gave the $10/unit a second thought. Then I realized, this is coming straight out of Apple’s profits. If they gave a larger portion, it would create the illusion that the iPods are priced higher than they need to be, which would result in a negative message. I think $10 is just about right.

Posted by coolfactor on October 13, 2006 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

I would have liked to see some additional “giving” as part of this effort. For example, Apple could say, if 1,000,000 RED iPods are sold, they would contribute an additional $10,000,000 to the cause, essentially doubling the contribution. However, they mustn’t go too far beyond the call of duty since other participating companies may not be able to provide the same contributions. It all has to be kept in balance.

Posted by coolfactor on October 13, 2006 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

I once sat in a meeting with Bono and the whole time leading up to it I excited about Bono from U2.  When I met him I left more interested for Bono the humanitarian, I mean what a guy.

Posted by Ian on October 13, 2006 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

I’m interested but I don’t see it on the Australian AppleStore. I’d be pissed if it were only available to the US.

I think it’s great that it costs the same as a regular 4Gb. A buyer doesn’t have to cough up a premium to participate.

Posted by Japester on October 13, 2006 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

Wish they’d offer it in the 8GB.

Posted by ugashred on October 13, 2006 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

I honestly thought it would look better than it does in red, but it doesn’t, at least for me. Maybe the control wheel should have been a different color? Oh well.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 13, 2006 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

> “given the alleged profit margins on nanos..”

Please tell me you’re not refering the “but the nano’s parts only total up to $14!” crap that’s been around…  There is a LOT more to making an iPod than just the parts.  $10 is a significant cut into Apple’s profits on the device.

Posted by m.sherman on October 13, 2006 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

$10 is still peanuts, regardless of the profit margins.

I do like the red color though. It’s nice.

Posted by ort on October 13, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

It would be nice if it was priced just $10 dollars higher.  Then the consumer and Apple would both be making a $10 donation, doubling the amount raised.  I doubt many people that can actually afford ipods would balk at a $10 donation on top of the normal price.  That being said, maybe they looked at that but decided it wouldn’t work.  Don’t know, but bravo to apple an the Product Red effort.  Now if I could just convince my wife I need one of these… wink

Posted by BrettB on October 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

Yes…now, because of the Red iPod nano, everytime I hear “With or Without You” I think of people dying of AIDS in Africa.

Thanks a lot, Steve Jobs.

Posted by JokerPoker on October 13, 2006 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

It definitely looks great.  Just got back from the Apple Store with one.  These are going to be very popular holiday gifts I believe.

Posted by RC on October 13, 2006 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

Good idea. But I don’t think it would kill Apple to give ten bucks for every nano sold towards AIDS research, instead of just for the red ones.
Luckily, the red one is gorgeous.

Posted by me on October 13, 2006 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

How can someone tell apple how much they should give but they do not give? Think again, how much of your cash have you used to help? Was that the best you could do? Help and do not criticize someone else for helping. They do good helping Bono’s organization, let them continue.

Posted by Bernardo Groenewold on October 13, 2006 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

$10 is peanuts.  Often, it only takes “peanuts” to make a difference.  I applaud all the companies who are contributing to this cause - or any charitable cause.  Even if it is just “peanuts”.

Posted by GoodnNuff on October 13, 2006 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that it isn’t better then nothing, or that they aren’t at least moving in the right direction.

Still, word on the street is that a Nano is marked up at least 100%. That means that they are only donating 10% of the profit, which isn’t a lot.

What I am really trying to say, is that my, (and probably many people’s) first reaction is going to be; “A measly $10 bucks? On a $200 item?”

It just doesn’t sound like a big deal. In fact, I guarantee that Apple will be making more money from all the free advertising and good-will from this project then they will be giving to fight AIDS.

All I’m saying, is that I would have liked to see Apple give more. It’s not like they are struggling.

Posted by ort on October 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

cant you people just help out its to raise awareness instead of ######## about who or what company isnt doing enough ?? i like this idea but owning 4 ipods im not gonna get another im going to support the cause by buying another product

Posted by draven898 on October 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

At least they’re doing something, Ort.
If you don’t think it’s enough and you “would have liked to see Apple give more” then instead of buying the next luxury item you don’t need, like say a $200 ipod, donate the money to help fight AIDS. Compared to some, It’s not like you’re struggling.

Posted by betty on October 15, 2006 at 12:10 AM (PDT)