Apple unveils iPod nano (updated) | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod nano (updated)

imageAt its special event in San Francisco today, Apple introduced the iPod nano, a completely new iPod that’s thinner than a standard #2 pencil and weighs only 1.5 ounces. The iPod mini replacement is available in 2GB ($199) and 4GB ($249) capacities in either white or black designs. The ultra-compact device features a high-resolution color screen, Click Wheel, and offers up to 14 hours of battery life.

“iPod nano is the biggest revolution since the original iPod,” said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. “iPod nano is a full-featured iPod in an impossibly small size, and it’s going to change the rules for the entire portable music market.”

The iPod nano has a standard 30-pin Dock Connector (allowing it to work with many current accessories), is compaible with both Mac and Windows via USB 2.0, and offers the ability to display photos and album art. Because it uses flash memory instead of a tiny hard drive for music storage, it provides completely skip-free playback. The updated iPod software also adds a new stopwatch, world clock and screen lock applications.

The iPod nano is available worldwide immediately through the online Apple Store. Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers will begin receiving shipments on or before this weekend..

imageiPod nano Accessories

Alongside the new iPod nano, Apple announced several new accessories for the device, which the company calls the “most fashionable and wearable iPod ever.” The new gear includes lanyard headphones ($39), which integrate the headphone cables into the lanyard; armbands in five colors, including gray, pink, blue, red and green ($29 each); a set of silicone “Tubes” in five colors, including pink, purple, blue, green and clear ($29); and dock ($29).

Update

iLounge editors Jeremy Horwitz and Dennis Lloyd have had the opportunity to test the iPod nano and check out all of its upcoming accessories. On the accessories front, most interesting is the fact that the new iPod nano Dock is the first such Apple device to include a “variable line-out” port, which attenuates the standard line-out signal downwards from the iPod’s Click Wheel. The company’s silicone “nano Tubes” provide complete protection for the entire iPod nano save its bottom ports, including thin coverage for the Click Wheel and top Hold switch. The lanyard headphones plug simultaneously into the iPod’s bottom headphone port and Dock Connector, using the Connector solely as a securing mechanism and the headphone port as a means to direct headphone audio. Armbands in all of the various colors are similar in perforated arm design to Incase’s recently reviewed iPod and iPod mini neoprene armbands, except open on their tops.

We’ve also learned that the iPod nano will be the company’s first to include the “Universal Dock Adapter,” a plastic plate which guarantees iPod nano docking compatibility with any accessory designed to include it. Nearly 20 companies are already planning products around the UDA design, which is similar to the plastic plates included with speaker accessories from Altec Lansing, Bose, iHome and JBL, and will eliminate the need for participating companies to design iPod-specific plates in the future. The UDA will come in the nano box alongside a USB-to-Dock Connector cable, headphones, the nano hardware, and iTunes 5 software.

We tested the iPod nano briefly with both stock and high-end Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro earphones, and found the audio quality of the newest iPod to be similar to existing iPods. Bass performance does not appear to have been markedly improved in the nano, and other audio and feature functionality often requested by iLounge readers (enhanced equalizers, FM tuner, etcetera) has not been included. However, the nano’s new stopwatch and lap timer works well, and features a nice metallic interface similar to the one in Apple’s Mac OS X operating system. The new security screen lock and world clock work well and are also easy to set.

The iPod nano will be able to display photos and transfer them from iTunes. According to Apple representatives, it will not be compatible with Apple’s or other photo connectors for straight-to-nano digital picture transfers, and will not be compatible with voice recorder devices, either. Like the iPod mini, nano is solely intended to be a device for media playback and storage, not creation.

Screen quality on the iPod nano is precisely what you’d expect from Apple: highly visible, with bright white backlighting and good resolution comparable to that used on the full-sized color iPod. Despite its small size, it displays text and photographs legibly, and with ease. It duplicates in all key ways the interface of the color iPod, and plays back all the same genres of audio - audiobooks, podcasts, music - without any problems.

Of the new products introduced today, iPod nano is unquestionably the superior, smarter offering. It takes all of the most popular features from the full-sized color iPod and makes them work in a smaller, cheaper enclosure. It’s especially stunning in that it replicates the look and feel of a full-sized iPod in a matching enclosure, rather than shrinking the iPod mini’s anodized aluminum body, as most expected it to do. The black version is especially slick, with its dark gray Click Wheel, but the white version offers familiar beauty in a small size. We cannot wait to provide our full review.

« More than 1,000 iPod accessories now available

Motorola ROKR iTunes phone introduced (updated) »

Comments

I love it. But it just looks a photoshopped picture.

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on September 7, 2005 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

To tell u the truth the most thing i’m confused about is what about the ipod shuffle? I mean the upgrade that it was suppose to get to a 2gigabite device was already taken by nano. So either they kill the shuffle or either they give more space to nano otherwise it just took shuffles part. Also i expected a 6 and 8 gigabite for the new “mini” and instead it’s less space. i think that that’s the main downside of this whole idea the memory i mean i’m thrilled from nano and i can’t wait to get one but can’t apple spend a bit more cash on memory, i mean that really did
get me in that point, but oh well… any way i’d like to hear from someone on the shuffle ipod, what’s going to happen? Anyway hope apple puts a bit more cash on it but in the meantime have a great life…

Posted by Curious on September 7, 2005 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

can’t wait to get it in my hands!!!!

Posted by nanolover on September 7, 2005 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

the headphone port on the bottom in my opinion is genius.

having the port on the bottom means the headphone cord has no way of getting in the way of the screen when you are holding it and the iPod is the right way up when you pull it out your back pocket.

very clever

Posted by ahan on September 7, 2005 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

The iPod nano is simply stunning and exactly what I wanted. As a iPod 2G, 3G, 4G and shuffle user I discovered a trend in how I used my iPods… my shuffle got the most use ever because of the small size, shock proof design that worked great for my running and travel. I *hated* the lack of a screen but found the iTunes autofill integration more than acceptable. What I really started wanting is a flash based, color screen, iPod-look-a-like in a shuffle form factor even with smaller storage capacity. I got it today and my order is already on file.

Posted by Dave on September 7, 2005 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

Well I just boxed up my 2 day old 1gig Shuffle to send it back. And ordered a 4gig black Nano.

It was a NO BRAINER for me!! The wife has a 60gig color… so I have no need for anything bigger then 4gig.

Posted by LynchMOB on September 7, 2005 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

I really like the black, but isn’t there a concern that the black shiney nano will show scratches?  The white finish doesn’t show anything…  I’m curious how the U2 finish held up.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posted by Macart on September 7, 2005 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Is there no Firewire support for real? I thought that the dock connector automatically supports both. Am I wrong?

Posted by Kiks on September 7, 2005 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

I think the Nano is a really nice addition to the iPod empire. I personally believe they didn’t name it the Mini because they’re going to re-introduce a new and improved Mini and replace the Shuffle with the Nano, and release the next generation iPods sometime next year.

Posted by Chris on September 7, 2005 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Simply FANTASTIC! A MUST HAVE! no other words…4 now…

Posted by iNandoX on September 7, 2005 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

I hope apple included multilingual display as with other ipods.

Posted by Candiana on September 7, 2005 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

I like the color screen and the new clock options but overall i will keep my 2G 6GB iPod mini silver. I think the iPod mini has the best size and feels the most comfort in your hands. I will go to the store in a few months and check it out and take the nano into my hands and feel it. But i wish they did come out with a New Mini as in same size factor and color screen and they should make a Black ipod mini.

Posted by Bob on September 7, 2005 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

How does the black finish hold up(u2 owners)???  Haven’t seen a belt clip yet…

Posted by Macart on September 7, 2005 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

The mini was a chick toy…
this one looks better and thank god it’s a flash player.
I’m glad they got rid of the cheezy colours.
should be interesting

Posted by Jon on September 7, 2005 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Although the Nano is a good idea, I think Apple is losing an enormous market by taking away the mini. I agree with a previous poster who stated that they should have just made this a revamped mini, with more colors than black and white (though I LOVE the black one). The selection of colors was HUGE in the market of teenage and young adult market who aren’t very computer savvy. The mini, and those who bought them, seemed to care a lot about how the actual item looked, whereas most full-size iPod (and Nano) buyers, would seem to buy them more for their actual features. Apple could solve this problem by offering several colors of the Nano, thereby keeping their market of those who care more about what their music player looks like than how it actual works.

(The black one is very, very tempting)

Posted by Chris on September 7, 2005 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

I just ordered me one. The black one. Got a dock and “Tubes” for it too. Now I have both the color U2 iPod and a black nano. Poor people hate me.

Posted by Rascal_King on September 7, 2005 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

Kinda sad! I just gave a 1GB Shuffle to my girlfriend last night! HOWEVER… NANO ROCKS!!!

Posted by MLo on September 7, 2005 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Rascal - How does the finish of the U2 iPod hold up?

Posted by Planet1960 on September 7, 2005 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

After reconsidering my first post (which is what I do after every new iPod is released and I hate it) I’ve decided I want to play with one for a bit, then decide.

As far as the above post (Chris’s), it’s wrong.  Minis were the best seller because they were cheap iPods.  My age group decided that iPods were cool.  If you didn’t have one, you were uncool.  So, until the mini, if you didn’t have 300 bucks, you were lame.  The mini came out and everyone pounced on it.

Color had very little to do with it, if you have 20 gigs of music, you don’t say, “gee, I could get a 30 gig photo which holds all of my music, or I could get a BLUE one!”  That’s not how it works.  It has the name and it’s cheap.  Now, it’s gone and the nano has the name and it’s cheap.

Posted by Dan (papayaninja) on September 7, 2005 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

I like the Nano, but Apple messed everything up.

They should have kept the mini’s as they were and added a color screen. The nano should have replaced the shuffle and then they could have left the regular iPod alone. But instead, they keep the shuffle and kill off the mini. The nano’s going to cannabilize shuffle sales, and I’m not sure how well the 4GB nano will do when for 50 bucks more you can get 5 times as much space, albeit in something thicker, longer, bigger and bulkier.

Posted by Rene on September 7, 2005 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »