Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 10, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageIn addition to new Intel-based Macs, Apple today introduced the iPod Radio Remote, a tiny new device that combines a wired remote control with FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.

imageThe remote uses the iPod’s screen to display station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS). It will comes with a pair of Apple earbuds with a shorter cable and will begin shipping immediately for $49.

Apple says the iPod Radio Remote is “a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.”

imageIn addition to the iPod Radio Remote, Apple also introduced the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones.

imageThe $99 connection kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is available now. The new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the original iPod nano Lanyard and the Apple In-Ear earphones. They’re also available immediately for $49.

« iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released

Apple reports highest quarterly revenue ever »

Comments

not to bad i bet people will be mad cuz there was no new shuffle but what can you do apple relaeses stuff too quick and people are pissed not soon enough and people and pissed cant wiin oh well now all the ‘extra’ folks can have a radio

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 10, 2006 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

well, still no display - args - sony did it 10 years ago…

Posted by still sucks on January 10, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

I wish they would have made this a small add on that fits on the bottom of the ipod
I hate wired stuff, that being said it would be very cool to have have FM on the Ipod!

Posted by Espy on January 10, 2006 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

The site mentions a v1.1 update to use the remote. Wonder if they addressed some of the bugs on the video.

Posted by Update on January 10, 2006 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

espy…it does go on the bottom of the ipod

idk why radio was such a big deal…especially when people reviewed the ipod…you’re sitting on upto 60gb of music…why do you need to listen to commercials on radio?

nice feature though and the remote looks nice. i dont need one for $50 though

hopefully we see some bug fixes w/ 1.1

Posted by jason on January 10, 2006 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

I think the radio is a cool remote is a cool idea.
I was hoping someone would create a xm radio add on.

Posted by 3rdEye on January 10, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

so i guess the next iPod generation while include a radio…

Posted by mike on January 10, 2006 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

I would order one of those radio’s right now if it wasent for one thing.

AM!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM! Also known as Medium Wave!

Ill stick with the radio taped to my slipcase untill a DAB version comes out :(.

Posted by Peachey on January 10, 2006 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Hopefully a firmware update real soon! smile

Posted by ipodman715 on January 10, 2006 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

As far as I can conclude from the pictures, it is NOT possible to use another headphone than the one attached to the FM remote. So this not an option for me. (Yes, I’m trying to save my ears…)

Posted by elppadopi in Amsterdam on January 10, 2006 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Sorry. Not rue. You CAN connect your own headphones.

Posted by elppadopi in Amsterdam on January 10, 2006 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

Damn CAD$104 (if used student discount) for that whole connection kit… damn that’s frickin’ cheap man! Everyone go pick one up

Posted by 3GOD on January 10, 2006 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

Wake up Apple: FM is so last millennium. Bring out DAB for the iPod and you will have my cash.

Posted by longwayround on January 10, 2006 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

Even after getting my iPod nano, I had to keep my old Rio Mp3 player because I like listening to NPR and public radio during my commute.  I like the design and it will also be good for the hotel gyms that use FM radio to broadcast the TV audio.

Posted by Den-san on January 10, 2006 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Wonder why this won’t work with the 4G iPods? I thought the dock connector was the same??

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on January 10, 2006 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Im dissapointed with DAB to be honest, there has been so little progress iportable wise since its launch. I am glad it dusent use a seperate screen though.

Still no AM no buy.

Posted by Peachey on January 10, 2006 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

I also wish that the radio adapter worked for the 4g ipod.  Then I remembered that Apple does not (appleheads will choose not to belive this) care about its current consumers.  All it cares about is selling more ipods and computers.  As a public corporation it has to be focused on more sales (That doesn’t bother me, I would do the same) The radio adapter could be used on 4g but that would not intice current 4g owners to upgrade (a losing proposition for apple).  Regardless of whether you think Steve Jobs is really in charge or not, it boils down to the company is owned by many many stockholders and Steve must answer to them if he doesn’t sell enough.  He was kicked out once and it can happen again.  He must sell as much as possible.  It will soon come to pass that everyone who wants an ipod will own one, and then he must find more reasons to get people to upgrade.  This radio adapter and remote that only works on 5g ipods and nanos is a great step (from a business point of view) in that direction. I don’t like it but I have to deal with it.

Posted by ipod-islander on January 10, 2006 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

This might sound a tad superficial, but why wasn’t a black radio/remote constructed? I’m positive the Black Ipod outsold the traditional White one.

Posted by bbest5504 on January 10, 2006 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

yet the headphones on the black ipod were still white

Posted by enigma on January 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

So, by using the remote and sticking the iPod away in a knapsack where you can’t read the screen you turn your $450.00 iPod into a $450.00 Shuffle.

FM? Who listens to radio anymore?

Yawn.

Posted by Ron on January 10, 2006 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »