Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories

imageIn addition to new Intel-based Macs, Apple today introduced the iPod Radio Remote, a tiny new device that combines a wired remote control with FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.

imageThe remote uses the iPod’s screen to display station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS). It will comes with a pair of Apple earbuds with a shorter cable and will begin shipping immediately for $49.

Apple says the iPod Radio Remote is “a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.”

imageIn addition to the iPod Radio Remote, Apple also introduced the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones.

imageThe $99 connection kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is available now. The new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the original iPod nano Lanyard and the Apple In-Ear earphones. They’re also available immediately for $49.

« iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released

Apple reports highest quarterly revenue ever »

Comments

is the fm radio reception dependent on the remote or will this feature be available for all of the 5g iPod’s once the firmware update is available?

Posted by bobby on January 10, 2006 at 4:24 PM (CST)

When is the next macworld? I was waiting since december to open my shuffle cause i thought they were coming out with a new one…. then i’ll open it and they’ll have a new at the next macworld or something ... i think this mac world was over hyped ... it was lik the slogan was if it’s not broke don’t fix it ...  it was mostly an update nothing really new.

Posted by Jeremy Joyner on January 10, 2006 at 4:26 PM (CST)

RDS!!!  That’s the ticket.

I’ve seen this in my brother’s stock Audi radio.  It displays the artist and song title that’s being played over the radio.  I’ve wasted lots of time trying to figure out who sings a new song.  It’s pretty big in Europe, but not too many US stations offer it.

For those anti-radio, how do you find new music?  Anyhoot, I enjoy listening to the radio once in a blue moon.  $50 seems steep but in line with all other overpriced iPod accessories

Posted by kdogg on January 10, 2006 at 4:34 PM (CST)

wow i love this new remote, just ordered one

Posted by BlueSIm on January 10, 2006 at 4:35 PM (CST)

I agree with kdogg. Radio not only lets you find new music, but you can listen to LIVE news too.

Debating on ordering one myself…

Posted by vbhtml on January 10, 2006 at 4:54 PM (CST)

How can this NOT work with the 4Gs? I’m a little ticked to tell you the truth.

Posted by JWj on January 10, 2006 at 4:57 PM (CST)

Is there a record capability?  If yes, can it be scheduled?

I use my iRiver to record some talk shows from the radio so I can listen to them (on my iPod) when I fly.

Posted by pb on January 10, 2006 at 5:00 PM (CST)

i find out about new music through going to shows and hearing opening bands that are comming out. also from friends and going out and downloading. you don’t need the radio to hear about new music…if that were true we’d all be listening to r&b and rap 24/7 since all the good stations are changing format because of clear channel

Posted by jason on January 10, 2006 at 5:09 PM (CST)

Yeah im pretty pissed that they didnt just throw radio on the 5G but like Jason said, 60G even 30G is enough crap for me, the only thing that slightly interest me is wanting to listen to a game. Besides, how bout some BLACK ACCESORIES from Apple for there BLACK IPOD, pretty lame. 50 dollars, no thanx.

Posted by Starbucks on January 10, 2006 at 5:14 PM (CST)

I like it since the remote piece seems much much lighter than the one I had on my 3G iPod. What I would like to know before I order is if you can connect other headphones than the Apple ones. No offense but I really like my Sony earbuddies :)

Thanks for your answer!

Posted by BigVince on January 10, 2006 at 5:27 PM (CST)

I have a photo ipod so this won’t work for me.  But I think this is great!  I have really wanted fm on my ipod because even with my eclectic mix of thousands of songs varying genres, sometimes I still want something different.  I am so glad you can finally have a good looking integrated fm solution on the ipod.  Thank you apple!

PS - Steve said watching videos was not what people wanted, I do remember reading he also said people don’t want old fuzzy fm radio.  Well I’m still glad he cares about making money more than only doing what he thinks is right!  Thank you capitalism!

Also, I think the fm tuner/software must be built in to the 5g ipod and this unlocks it like others have said.  That’s why it only works with 5g and nano.  The remote seems too small to fit the tuner and everything inside and be somewhat decent quality.

Posted by Erik on January 10, 2006 at 5:46 PM (CST)

BigVince, yes of course you can connect any headphones you want. The remote has a normal headphones outlet.

Posted by elob on January 10, 2006 at 5:51 PM (CST)

i’m a huge radio fan .. and a huge fan of being able to change tracks/volume without having to get my ipod out of my pocket every time so i shall be buying this just for the remote feature.

the BIG problem, as ever with portable radios, is its reception abilitiy - it’s one thing to build an FM radio, it’s quite another to make it sensitve enough to be practical for use outside very strong signal areas. from my expereince also FM radios that use digital tuning tend to be less sensitve .. i think the reviews of it will be critical here… the problem is most reviews tend to ignore reception quality… a portable radio is useless if it is not sensitive enough to maintain signal when moving around and critical to this is being able to switch down to mono when required.

Posted by timbo on January 10, 2006 at 6:23 PM (CST)

I just called the apple store customer care, and they said that the reason behind the incompatibility of the radio remote to 4g’s is because of a “difference in the mechanics between the 4th generation and 5th generation ipods.” this came from an apple tech guy.

i am really pissed off that this isnt compatible with the 4g. I bought my ipod photo 2 MONTHS before they released the video. so im just getting screwed once again.

Posted by Paolo on January 10, 2006 at 6:24 PM (CST)

I figure give it some time and other manufacturers will come out with speaker systems that allow the FM function to be utilized as well. Similar to the ihome but cheaper now that the unit itself doesn’t have to contain the FM reciever as it had in the past.

Posted by sp1083 on January 10, 2006 at 6:39 PM (CST)

Paulo….its not apples fault that theyre only supporting this version. Hell, i got an old 3G…do i moan it has no colour screen? or no fm tuner?nope…
point is, when you buy a piece of technology, you should be very aware that within 6 months there’ll be something better, a newer model so to speak…i admit, appl edid release alot of updates last year, but jeez, you msut have bought ur ipod photo pretty far into its life cycle to end up being so close to the ipod video…there was speculation on the internet about it before the ipod photo even came out.
it was your decision to buy the product.
live with it. Besides….the ipod photo isnt bad at all. and jsut wiat a year or so, then upgrade,....i bet the the 2007 ipod will be absolutely incredible.
dan x

Posted by dan nicholls on January 10, 2006 at 6:45 PM (CST)

100 bucks for the connection kit?  Yikes.  Sure, if you purchased the pieces separately, it’d cost more, but that’s still a lot of change.

Posted by dave on January 10, 2006 at 7:30 PM (CST)

I got the 40G ipod photo

Posted by bluecow on January 10, 2006 at 7:39 PM (CST)

well, I’m sure everyone is so interested in what ipod I had (oops, premature submit pressing)

As I was trying to say:
I got the 40G ipod photo…came with a dock, a case, an AV cable and an AC adapter…for only $349 (I think) directly from Apple when they released the 30 and 60GB photo.

Now they include none of that, and charge $100 for a package with that and a remote…they have quite the business model.  All the power to them, good that they give the consumer options, but I’m glad I got my clearance deal when I did.

(of course I have since lost that ipod, but now have a dock and av cables for my ipod video)

Posted by bluecow on January 10, 2006 at 7:44 PM (CST)

is there an iPod updater for this? I assumed that a 1.1 update for the new iPods would be oming reasonably soon, and there definately seem to be a few bugs and lagging issues with the latest iPods. But software update only shows the new iTunes/Quicktime and OS upgrades.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on January 10, 2006 at 9:10 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›