Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 10, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageIn addition to new Intel-based Macs, Apple today introduced the iPod Radio Remote, a tiny new device that combines a wired remote control with FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.

imageThe remote uses the iPod’s screen to display station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS). It will comes with a pair of Apple earbuds with a shorter cable and will begin shipping immediately for $49.

Apple says the iPod Radio Remote is “a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.”

imageIn addition to the iPod Radio Remote, Apple also introduced the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones.

imageThe $99 connection kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is available now. The new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the original iPod nano Lanyard and the Apple In-Ear earphones. They’re also available immediately for $49.

« iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released

Apple reports highest quarterly revenue ever »

Comments

At first I thought having the frequency show in the iPod’s display was a cool thing, but in retrospect it’s not so great because this thing is a remote control too. You can’t tune it without taking your iPod out of your pocket/sleeve/whatever. So, as a radio, it is not remotely controllable for all intents and purposes even though it is a remote control. Oops. Griffin Tech’s iFM provides similar functionality, but the radio display is in the remote, so you don’t have this problem. It is bigger, though. Having said all that, I have to agree that I would prefer a device that attaches to the bottom of the iPod, without leaving a largish, akward thing in the middle of your headphone cable, as both Apple’s and Griffin Tech’s do. Plus I don’t get why they always leave out AM.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on January 11, 2006 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

sjonke: The website says that the track-skipping buttons on the remote control tuning when the iPod is in FM mode…of course, then there’s the small matter of knowing what frequency you’ve just switched to, but that’s a whole other problem.

FM or not, I’m really tempted to get this just for the remote…I just switched to a 5G from a 3G, and I loved the included remote. And it pisses me off that I have to buy ANOTHER set of iPod earbuds, when I don’t use the stock ones to begin with!

Posted by jdw87 on January 11, 2006 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

Im gonna wait for sumone to come out with this accessory minus that lame remote and ANOTHER set of headphones. O thank you apple for a set of headphones with a couple inches knocked off, im also glad you made that more important then actually making another COLOR option, mabey BLACK? For the BLACK iPod?hm.

Posted by Starbucks on January 11, 2006 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

I’m not sure I understand the criticism for not having the Radio remote in black.

The radio remote is part of the headphone extention.  a Massive part of the brand image Apple has portrayed through marketing is the white headphones….it’s become their signature.

I can understand other criticisms of this product…but it would seem foolish of Apple to move away from the white headphones….and in looking at this devce, they have built it to be part of the headphone aperatus.

Posted by bluecow on January 11, 2006 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

For all of those complaining that it doesn’t come in black, just get Griffin’s iFM which is also an in-line remote + FM tuner.  The iFM is the same price as this new Apple remote, BUT it also has a small LCDS screen to show what station you’re on, what track you are listening to on your iPod, etc..

Posted by IsLNdbOi on January 11, 2006 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

I’ll add my voice here to support a future product that also includes AM radio. I know there are technical issues, but it’s an important missing feature in this product.

Posted by Harbour Boy on January 11, 2006 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

Woohoo!! I just bought one from a local Apple store.. put it on my Black 5G ... it just didn’t look right… soooo .. I exchanged the Black 5g for a white one!  Now it’s PERFECT.

If it came it black, that would’ve been awesome.  I didn’t want Griffin’s iFM .. it didn’t have the integrated software mechanism where it shows the radio on the ipod itself… I like how the remote looks like a clip .. so now i have a clean white traditional iPod .. that has a radiio feature.. woo hoo!

Posted by Sam on January 11, 2006 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

wow you got to exchange your ipod?

Posted by WarmPabst on January 11, 2006 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

“Since no one else said it, I guess I will.  This radio is LAME…STUPID…USELESS!”

Maybe no-one else has said it because it isn’t ?

Posted by Matt Tilda on January 11, 2006 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

to be totally honest, for that price, as with all apple products, it sure is.

Posted by revmonkey on January 11, 2006 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

wouldn’t it be sick if the remote was wireless.

Posted by jakeray on January 11, 2006 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

I’m buying it if it comes in black for my iPod video, plus it’ll finally extend the cord for my super.fi 5EB earphones.

Posted by Zaki Q on January 11, 2006 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

I kind of like the radio/remote.  Seems really useful for when you have the iPod in an inside coat pocket.  As for tuning, since you’ve got your tunes with you, and since you can’t get AM, I’m guessing there’s 1-2 stations top you’ll use it with the radio.  Me, it will be used to hit NPR when I want some news and/or better classical than my meager collection.

The av kit looks much weaker, IMHO.  Just saw a write-up on Griffin’s media dock thing—same price point, better look, and you can use it to listen to internet radio (Radio Paradise, woot).  To me, it’s staggering how much better Griffin’s offering in this department appears to be.

Posted by Call Me Ishmael on January 11, 2006 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

well it may be lame if you don’t like to listen to the radio.. I’ve been avoiding iPods because of the no radio feature!  I like to hook up my iPod to speakers and listen to the radio in the morning when i get ready for work.  It’s very useful for me.  I love the whole remote thing, because of the fact that you can leave it in your pocket and change tracks or stations!  If you don’t want a radio.. then just don’t buy it!  But if you want a radio (and your willing to pay about $50+ w/tax) then buy the thing.  If you don’t wanna spend that much, you can get the Griffin iFM for $27.99 in either WHITE or BLACK!<bf>
Yes WarmPabst,  I got to exchange it… this is probably the 4th MP3 player i’ve had in the past month!  I first got the CREATIVE SLEEK 20GB.. exchanged it for a PHILIPS JUKEBOX 30GB.. then exchanged it for the BLACK iPOD 5G 30GB… now because of the remote.. got the WHITE iPOD instead… sheesh!

Posted by Sam on January 11, 2006 at 9:08 PM (PDT)

I think the idea of an FM remote from Apple is a great one but very disappointed that it’s not compatible with the 4G.  What about us millions of iPod owners who can’t use this?  Thanks for thinking about us, sheeshh. I am patiently waiting for the next generation of video iPods.  Hopefully, they will improve video capabilities for it and add FM (and what the heck, AM for those who want it) IN the iPod.  That way, those who want radio can have it and those who don’t care for radio simply won’t use the function.  JUST ADD IT TO THE NEXT iPod PERIOD!!!

Posted by Dan on January 11, 2006 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

Again, if you have a black iPod video or Nano, Griffin has black iFM wired remote + FM tuner that has more features than this Apple remote AND it costs the same.  Also, for you guys with older generation iPods, Griffin has the iFM for those as well.  The iFM for the older iPods connects to that peripheral connector on the older iPods and even has the ability to record from its FM tuner.  I think the iFM that works with the older iPods comes in silver and black.

Posted by IsLNdbOi on January 12, 2006 at 2:11 AM (PDT)

what’s the point in rds if it’s just gonna be in your pocket? i’ve got rds on another radio and it’s not exactly life-changing. an absolute rip-off for €55

Posted by sighte on January 12, 2006 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

HAHA all those people complaining about the new FM radio Remote, and wishing for a FM radio in the 6 Generation iPod; just buy an other MP3 player. Dont you know that apple is always the last when it comes to new Features.
Just boycot apple with not buying their new cra*p believe me they will sober up.

Posted by Roger767 on January 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

Video iPod = $299
Ac Adapter = $ 29
FM radio   = $ 49+
        ——
        $377

Creative Vison M. Has all that!!! for $329.

Apple You Greedy Bastard*s

Posted by Roger767 on January 12, 2006 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

The argument with the no black color option is that they sell a black iPod yet Apple hasent made ONE black accessorie for it. I doubt they need a signature anymore, 85% of the time the MP3 player in sumones pocket is an iPod. Sure Griffin makes a black one but thats not the point. Its a simple matter of using black plastic instead of white and they cant seem to make that happen. I really think addding ANOTHER set of those cheap earphones is a waste, Unless you wear your ipod on a Knee pocket who cares about a couple inches…

Posted by Starbucks on January 12, 2006 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 >