Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod Radio Remote, other accessories

imageIn addition to new Intel-based Macs, Apple today introduced the iPod Radio Remote, a tiny new device that combines a wired remote control with FM radio capabilities for the iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod.

imageThe remote uses the iPod’s screen to display station and song information for stations that support the Radio Data System (RDS). It will comes with a pair of Apple earbuds with a shorter cable and will begin shipping immediately for $49.

Apple says the iPod Radio Remote is “a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen.”

imageIn addition to the iPod Radio Remote, Apple also introduced the iPod AV Connection Kit and the new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones.

imageThe $99 connection kit includes an iPod Universal Dock, an Apple Remote, an iPod AV Cable, an iPod Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable and an iPod USB Power Adapter and is available now. The new iPod nano In-Ear Lanyard Headphones combine the original iPod nano Lanyard and the Apple In-Ear earphones. They’re also available immediately for $49.

« iTunes 6.0.2, QuickTime 7.0.4 released

Apple reports highest quarterly revenue ever »

Comments

Sam—where did you get the Griffin FM for $27.99?

Posted by Everyman on January 12, 2006 at 11:06 AM (CST)

Ordered one on Tues via overnight and it’s waiting for me at home…

I guess it’s just me but I’m excited about not just having radio but more over the remote. Also most stations in my area (NYC) have RDS so it’s cool to see the song/artist that’s playing on stations, etc.

I hope the 1.1 firmware is included in the box because other than that, I don’t see where to get it….will find out tonight

Posted by mobilehavoc on January 12, 2006 at 12:31 PM (CST)

Worst product I’ve seen in a while; chances are the reason that the radio remote doesn’t work with the earlier ipods is because the tuner is already built into the 5g’s and the nano.

But the price is actually the worst part of it; if it had an LCD remote, plus the radio, it would be worth it. Charging $50 for this, is just ripping people off. All it is an FM radio, with a cheap remote, how can some justify Apple doing this?

At least the A/V cable is a quality one, but the $99 connection pack seems like a gip too,  since I’ve read tons of complaints about the remote over at Apple’s forums.

Posted by Eric on January 12, 2006 at 12:38 PM (CST)

Just found the Ipod Video 1.1 update on the site, not sure why i didn’t see it earlier but anyway - have it downloaded and ready to go tonight.

IMHO, having the display on the Ipod’s screen rather than a tiny, crappy LCD on the remote is better. Once I have my radio presets all setup, I rarely ever “surf” the radio and if I do, rather do it on the iPod.

Remote may be cheap but you then obviously haven’t tried a Creative Labs $50 remote, cheapest flimsy crap ever…died after 2 weeks of light use. They are not selling at a price that others don’t charge…at least Apple will do it right…

FYI…there’s nothing in the 5G or Nano related to radio hardware - they are just using this as another tool to have people purchase the new Ipods…if I were them, I’d do the same.

Posted by mobilehavoc on January 12, 2006 at 1:25 PM (CST)

It’s taken over 4 years for Apple to finally release an FM radio accessory for the iPod.  I’ve been asking for FM since I got my 1st iPod in 06/2002 but Steve Jobs continues to ignore my emails.  FM radio is great for those of us who still listen to radio.  I listen to public radio and NPR.  Hopefully the next generation iPods will have radio integrated within the iPod.  It’s nice that you get FM in addition to a wired remote.  I’ve been putting off the purchase of a new iPod since I bought 2 iPods last year but the release of this product has peaked my curiosity.  I’m regretting the purchase of my 60 GB Photo; I should have waited for the 60 GB Video.

Posted by Tchocky in The O.C. on January 12, 2006 at 2:46 PM (CST)

Does anyone know technology-wise, why they can’t make this AM & FM? Would it take up too much space?
If this had AM available on it, i’d buy in a heartbeat. I’m just not into what’s played on FM…that’s why i purchased my iPod

Posted by Jayderek on January 12, 2006 at 3:05 PM (CST)

Everyman—— I got it at onsale.com ..i’m actually trying to sell mine (it has even arrived yet, still new!) because i got the Radio Remote now! If there’s no takers.. ebay here i come!

Posted by Sam on January 12, 2006 at 3:39 PM (CST)

Hi, could you please try the Radio in the Europe Mode and tell me if the RDS is running

thank you!

Posted by Piewhy on January 12, 2006 at 4:33 PM (CST)

Ordered the radio the day it came out.  The website said it will ship in 4-5 days, received my invoice last night and is says 3-4 weeks.  Yeah apple…guess you’ll have to wait a little longer to get your FM fix.

Posted by bc on January 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM (CST)

Can somebody explain why this is sticky at the top of the news section?  I keep coming to ilounge thinking there’s nothing new (last day or so) since I see this at the top.  Now I see there’s been quite a bit of new items since this one…

Posted by huggies on January 12, 2006 at 6:10 PM (CST)

i got mine today at the apple store in san antonio, and i was surprised on how good it actually works. reception is perfect havent heard anything wrong, cd quality sound. and some of the radio stations tell you the name and song title when its playing. 50 dollars was worth it.

Posted by clayton on January 12, 2006 at 6:17 PM (CST)

im getting mine tomorrow, i ordered it the day it came out when it said 3-4 days, the next day it shipped. now the wait said is 2-3 weeks, i wouldnt believe it since im getting mine 3

Posted by BlueSIm on January 12, 2006 at 6:54 PM (CST)

Where is the HD Radio receiver?  Now that would be cutting edge.

Posted by Brian on January 12, 2006 at 10:53 PM (CST)

iTrip+radio recever means you can “share” music if the next iPod has a radio recever built in then it’d be s easy as having an iTrip to share your music.

Posted by :D on January 12, 2006 at 11:33 PM (CST)

i would get the radio transmitter… if i had a 5g ipod….

Posted by navas on January 13, 2006 at 12:02 AM (CST)

It seems to me annoying that you can’t use the radio with the docking station. I mean isn’t the whole point of the dock that you can use your ipod while it is charging and/or with external speakers and/or with the apple remote? But you can’t plug this thing in while its in the dock. That for me is what makes it most lame.

Posted by Countach on January 13, 2006 at 12:57 AM (CST)

Maybe someone will make a passthrough or piggyback connecter to allow more than 1 device to be connected.

Posted by The-Tick on January 13, 2006 at 7:04 AM (CST)

For all those who keep coplaining about the accesories that plug into the ports not being black, here’s a simple answer:  it would not look good.  The reason it would not look good is because the rubber (or plastic, not sure) lining to these ports is white on all iPods.  I don’t disagree about black headphones and such, but only if the “lining” is black too.  Boy, that was a dumb move by apple.

Posted by Anonymous on January 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM (CST)

This would have been useful a few years ago, along with the ability to RECORD the FM signal that you’d be listening to. Now, since Howard Stern is no longer on FM radio, there’s no point in it.

TO THE MODERATORS: GO F U C K YOURSELVES, LOSERS. I RUN YOUR WEBSITE NOW, YOU WORTHLESS C O C K S U C K E R S.

Posted by Jack on January 14, 2006 at 10:46 PM (CST)

why does Apple have to charge $50 for something that adds bulk and weight to the iPod when other companies have it free (and their players are CHEAPER than the iPod in the first place) and standard AND THEY DONT ADD WEIGHT OR MASS?!

wow apple, how dumb can you get? and its only white too!

Posted by MattPaintballer on January 21, 2006 at 5:00 PM (CST)

Page 5 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5