Apple unveils iPod shuffle in four new colors (updated)
Apple today announced that its second-generation iPod shuffle is now available in four new colors—blue, pink, green, and for the first time in iPod history, orange—in addition to the original silver. Like the iPod shuffle introduced last year, the new models feature 1GB of flash memory storage, an aluminum design with a built-in clip, and weigh just half an ounce. However, they are now packaged with Apple’s most recently updated iPod Earphones, rather than the predecessor model that shipped with prior shuffles. The new iPod shuffle is available immediately worldwide for $79.
Update: iLounge this morning posed several new iPod shuffle questions to Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak; the answers can be found below.
Update 2: iLounge’s editors are weighing in on the new shuffle lineup in this Editorial. What do you think?
iLounge: Why release the new iPod shuffles now, as opposed to at the time of the silver model’s launch last year?
Joswiak: “It seemed to make the most sense. We felt very solid about our holiday lineup, and the results spoke for themselves. ... Now I think this is a way to make the iPod shuffle even more appealing, really play on the fact that there’s a fashion aspect to the product.”
iLounge: Why this lineup of colors, rather than going with the black or red colors that have proved so popular?
Joswiak: “What we do is we do our products in a lot of colors, and we try to pick out the best ones for our customers.”
iLounge: Why orange - the first time in iPod history for this color?
Joswiak: “It’s just gorgeous. It’s just something that’s going to look nice in fashion scenarios.” (Click on “Choose a color.” to see the orange iPod shuffle against a blue jacket and gray shirt here.)
Mr. Joswiak also confirmed that today’s shuffles include the company’s newest earbuds, and said that there were no other surprises inside the shuffles’ boxes. He also noted that this multi-colored $79 iPod presents consumers with a realistic opportunity to buy more than one color of shuffle, should they want to accessorize iPods to their clothes - a somewhat humorous but legitimate suggestion given that the only prior “low-cost” iPods available in multiple colors were the $199 iPod nano and now-discontinued $199 iPod mini.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple patents fourth-generation iPod shuffle
- Updated photo gallery: every new 2012 iPod shuffle
- First photos show 2012 iPod shuffle colors, textures
- New iPod shuffle to debut at WWDC?
- Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple updates Remote app with improved Apple TV integration
- iOS 7.1 reveals two new iPad models?
- Apple TV 6.1 update released, allows users to hide channels
- Apple releases iOS 7.1
- Apple iPhone trade-in program arrives in Canada
- Apple TV adds iTunes Festival channel
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Doggins
- Apps: Findery, Gmail 3.0, Real Racing 3 2.1 + Star Wars: KOTOR 1.2
- Apple ‘scrambling’ to meet FTC deadline on in-app purchases
- Report: Mercedes working on aftermarket CarPlay installations
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- RooCase Dual-View 360 for iPad Air
- Mophie Space Pack for iPhone 5/5s
- SnowLizard Products SLXtreme 5 for iPhone 5/5s
- Lepow Moonstone 9000mAh Power Bank
- Thought Out PED4 Planet IPA10 for iPad Air
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Whether to include specific apps in iCloud backups
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone