Apple unveils iPod shuffle in four new colors (updated)
Apple today announced that its second-generation iPod shuffle is now available in four new colors—blue, pink, green, and for the first time in iPod history, orange—in addition to the original silver. Like the iPod shuffle introduced last year, the new models feature 1GB of flash memory storage, an aluminum design with a built-in clip, and weigh just half an ounce. However, they are now packaged with Apple’s most recently updated iPod Earphones, rather than the predecessor model that shipped with prior shuffles. The new iPod shuffle is available immediately worldwide for $79.
Update: iLounge this morning posed several new iPod shuffle questions to Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak; the answers can be found below.
Update 2: iLounge’s editors are weighing in on the new shuffle lineup in this Editorial. What do you think?
iLounge: Why release the new iPod shuffles now, as opposed to at the time of the silver model’s launch last year?
Joswiak: “It seemed to make the most sense. We felt very solid about our holiday lineup, and the results spoke for themselves. ... Now I think this is a way to make the iPod shuffle even more appealing, really play on the fact that there’s a fashion aspect to the product.”
iLounge: Why this lineup of colors, rather than going with the black or red colors that have proved so popular?
Joswiak: “What we do is we do our products in a lot of colors, and we try to pick out the best ones for our customers.”
iLounge: Why orange - the first time in iPod history for this color?
Joswiak: “It’s just gorgeous. It’s just something that’s going to look nice in fashion scenarios.” (Click on “Choose a color.” to see the orange iPod shuffle against a blue jacket and gray shirt here.)
Mr. Joswiak also confirmed that today’s shuffles include the company’s newest earbuds, and said that there were no other surprises inside the shuffles’ boxes. He also noted that this multi-colored $79 iPod presents consumers with a realistic opportunity to buy more than one color of shuffle, should they want to accessorize iPods to their clothes - a somewhat humorous but legitimate suggestion given that the only prior “low-cost” iPods available in multiple colors were the $199 iPod nano and now-discontinued $199 iPod mini.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple patents fourth-generation iPod shuffle
- Updated photo gallery: every new 2012 iPod shuffle
- First photos show 2012 iPod shuffle colors, textures
- New iPod shuffle to debut at WWDC?
- Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015