Apple unveils iPod shuffle in four new colors (updated) | iLounge News

Apple unveils iPod shuffle in four new colors (updated)

Apple today announced that its second-generation iPod shuffle is now available in four new colors—blue, pink, green, and for the first time in iPod history, orange—in addition to the original silver. Like the iPod shuffle introduced last year, the new models feature 1GB of flash memory storage, an aluminum design with a built-in clip, and weigh just half an ounce. However, they are now packaged with Apple’s most recently updated iPod Earphones, rather than the predecessor model that shipped with prior shuffles. The new iPod shuffle is available immediately worldwide for $79.

image

Update: iLounge this morning posed several new iPod shuffle questions to Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak; the answers can be found below.

Update 2: iLounge’s editors are weighing in on the new shuffle lineup in this Editorial. What do you think?

iLounge: Why release the new iPod shuffles now, as opposed to at the time of the silver model’s launch last year?

Joswiak: “It seemed to make the most sense. We felt very solid about our holiday lineup, and the results spoke for themselves. ... Now I think this is a way to make the iPod shuffle even more appealing, really play on the fact that there’s a fashion aspect to the product.”

iLounge: Why this lineup of colors, rather than going with the black or red colors that have proved so popular?

Joswiak: “What we do is we do our products in a lot of colors, and we try to pick out the best ones for our customers.”

iLounge: Why orange - the first time in iPod history for this color?

Joswiak: “It’s just gorgeous. It’s just something that’s going to look nice in fashion scenarios.” (Click on “Choose a color.” to see the orange iPod shuffle against a blue jacket and gray shirt here.)

Mr. Joswiak also confirmed that today’s shuffles include the company’s newest earbuds, and said that there were no other surprises inside the shuffles’ boxes. He also noted that this multi-colored $79 iPod presents consumers with a realistic opportunity to buy more than one color of shuffle, should they want to accessorize iPods to their clothes - a somewhat humorous but legitimate suggestion given that the only prior “low-cost” iPods available in multiple colors were the $199 iPod nano and now-discontinued $199 iPod mini.

« Free demo of Vortex iPod game offered

‘The Office’ iPod nano up for auction »

Comments

that orange color almost makes me want to buy another shuffle!  and what is this i hear about the next generation ipod possibly being introduced during a superbowl commercial?  has this been debunked yet?

Posted by boochydog on January 30, 2007 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

So are you guys all getting iLounge Orange shuffles?

I read a bit on MacRumors yesterday that there were four new $79 Apple products being unveiled today and was hoping this wouldn’t be the case, but what else could it be?

Posted by Multimoog on January 30, 2007 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

God, that orange one is kind of sharp. Get one and engrave iLounge on the back? wink

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on January 30, 2007 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

“what is this i hear about the next generation ipod possibly being introduced during a superbowl commercial”

&

“I read a bit on MacRumors yesterday that there were four new $79 Apple products being unveiled today and was hoping this wouldn’t be the case”

boochydog & Multimoog, I guess nothing gets past you guys, huh?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 30, 2007 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

Closest thing to a flat out ad that I’ve read on this site.

Posted by Kevin on January 30, 2007 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Our News section announcements of new iPods are always very similar - official facts and quotes from Apple. If you want our personal opinions or a review, you know where to look.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 30, 2007 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

Gordy - considering the news (at least for the shuffles) was only a rumor starting yesterday, I don’t think much time has gone by for it to get past me.

Posted by Multimoog on January 30, 2007 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

I see sarcasm has a similar effect.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 30, 2007 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Right, because I’m that stupid. I wasn’t sure if your first comment was digging on me because you thought I was behind the times (by a day? Wow, I must be in the stone age) or because I was voicing my opinion. Because that’s what the ‘comments’ section is for.

Posted by Multimoog on January 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I have to agree that the Orange is slick. But why ask why they released them now, the two reasons are quite simple. Being only $80 tons of people who already have silver ones will go get new color ones. More importantly, Vista launched today and here we are talking about the new iPod Shuffles!

Posted by Grant on January 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

So:
1)Grant you’re implying that Apple purposely waited to get it’s consumer base to pay TWICE for the same thing: once for the first, silver Shuffle, and now, for a coloured version? That seems low of Apple.

2) Why would we be talking about Microsoft’s Vista at ilounge.com?

Posted by Lacene on January 30, 2007 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Damn, if I had a need for a shuffle, that orange one would have been snatched up already!!!

Posted by qphayes on January 30, 2007 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

I have a 1st generation shuffle, and have been toying with the idea of a new one. With the new orange color and latest earphones, I think I’m finally sold.

Posted by bookcase on January 30, 2007 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

PS: I do wish they had released a PRODUCT(RED) version.

Posted by bookcase on January 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

“PS: I do wish they had released a PRODUCT(RED) version.”

As do I, and there should be a (RED) fullsize iPod too.

Posted by LukeA on January 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

I can easily see having a couple of shuffles, each loaded with different music.  Perhaps that is excessive, but these are very cool.  Especially in orange.  Including the new headphones with them makes $29 for the phones alone tough to swallow.  If I didn’t have a video and nano already…

Posted by Chrystopher on January 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Blue 8GB iPod Nano, NOW.

Posted by rainking187 on January 30, 2007 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

I feel a great disturbance in the Reality Distortion Field, as if millions of tiny silver shuffles suddenly cried out in terror as their owners put them up on eBay….......

Posted by TheRealDeal on January 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM (PDT)

I wonder if this is why tehy held off the newer earphones in the original 2G shuffles? So they could throw it in as something “new” this time around. I love Apple, so I guess I can look over it j/k. I wouldn’t buy a shuffle, but if I did I’d want it royal blue or black with white text like a nano 1G.

Posted by ddsd on January 30, 2007 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

That orange alu rocks!

Now all we need is an updated full size iPod in orange aluminum so we are finally rid of that hopeless scratchy backside and then yes life would be perfect.

Posted by Ericc B on February 2, 2007 at 2:31 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >