Apple unveils iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes 7.4, custom ringtones from iTunes tracks
At its special event today, Apple introduced the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, which offers users the ability to browse, search, preview, purchase, and download songs directly from their Wi-Fi-enabled iPod touch or iPhone. The purchased music is downloaded directly to the user’s device, and is transferred back into their iTunes Library the next time the iPod or iPhone is synced with the user’s computer. Prices and selection on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store are the same as on the regular iTunes Store. “The iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store is really fun—you can browse, search, freely preview, buy and instantly download music right onto your iPod touch or iPhone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Innovative products like this keep iTunes at the forefront of the digital music revolution.”
Apple also released iTunes 7.4 today, the latest update to the company’s music jukebox software. The updated software features a larger viewing area for video, filling the entire iTunes window for a better playback experience. In addition, users can also now rate entire albums as well as songs. iTunes 7.4 is available immediately as a free download though Apple’s Software Update application and at www.itunes.com.
Apple today also announced the ability for users to create custom ringtones from music purchased from the iTunes Store. This $0.99 option allows users to select up to a 30-second segment from over one million participating songs on iTunes and sync them to their iPhone. This works on both newly- and previously-purchased tracks. Users can personalize their ringtones by choosing which portion of the song they want to use, and by setting custom fade in and fade out points. Customers still have full use of the originally purchased song. Both the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store and custom iTunes ringtones for iPhone will be available later this month.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- Apple introduces 14-day refund policy on iTunes purchases in the EU
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?