Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199 | iLounge News

Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199

pic Apple today introduced the second-generation iPod mini lineup, reducing the price of its first-generation 4GB model to $199, while introducing a new 6GB model priced at $249. Both iPod mini models feature increased battery life of up to 18 hours, and retain the same black-and-white screen found in the initial model.

The 4GB and 6GB models of iPod mini for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately in a choice of silver, pink, blue or green. Each of the three latter colors is an updated, stronger shade of the previous iPod mini color, while gold - a color long tipped to be relatively unpopular - has quietly been discontinued.

Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables ($19) and FireWire Power Adapters ($29) from the iPod mini boxes, and now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable - presumably for computer-aided recharging. The company now separately sells a USB Power Adapter ($29), recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging.

pic Simultaneous with the release of the new iPod mini, Apple has also announced five new colors of its neoprene exercise Armband - orange, yellow, blue, pink, and grey - in addition to its previous black version. Each is priced at $29, and is an “Apple Store Exclusive.” A single iPod mini lanyard ($19) has also been introduced, and attaches to the mini’s Dock Connector. It is expected to ship in 5-7 weeks, according to Apple.

« Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices

MoviPod movie guide released for iPods »

Comments

Not a good update in my opinion. This will work out good for those who want a mini, but don’t currently own one. The 6 Gig update will be nice. Not worthy of upgrading my current mini though. And no new color choices. What’s that about? Usually when apple goes, the go all out! Color me dissappointed.

Posted by porterdsgn in Indianapolis, IN on February 23, 2005 at 6:57 AM (CST)

What a bummer, I was expecting color screens and cool new colors.  I would have bought a new mini for either.  Not sure how they can say on their web site that they have 3 new colors, seems like they just made the colors they had darker.

Posted by mikedwiththemasterplan on February 23, 2005 at 7:06 AM (CST)

On the surface it looks good until you read the small print and find out that they have dropped the price of a 4gb but also left out the charger!  I don’t have access to a usb to charge at work so would immediately have to outlay for a charger.  6gb is nice, though I agree with porterdsgn not worthy of an upgrade.

Posted by ChrisMouse in Bristol, UK on February 23, 2005 at 7:08 AM (CST)

I noticed that too, Chris…drop the cable and charger (that cost $50) and drop the price $50. Not really a price drop. But, they did increase the battery life and make the colors cooler, so I guess that’s worth it. If you don’t have an ipod yet, this makes it more attractive. Will it take away from the 1gb shuffle sales? $50 more for 4x the space….time will tell.

Posted by jimlat on February 23, 2005 at 7:20 AM (CST)

1.  Do the present iPod mini cases accommodate the 2 G iPod mini?

2.  Is the 2 G 4 MB iPod mini different the the first generation?

Posted by rmichiel on February 23, 2005 at 7:50 AM (CST)

I thought color screens were becoming the norm all around

Posted by mflat5 in USA on February 23, 2005 at 7:54 AM (CST)

An 18 hour battery life is impressive for a mini, it blows the competition away.  But this is not a huge update, kinda like the 4G iPod release from the 3G.  An increase in battery life.  This is not worth it if people already have a mini.  If people are thinking of getting a mini then it may be worth it.  No color screen though, those rumours were way too bogus.

Posted by kornchild2002 on February 23, 2005 at 7:57 AM (CST)

The best news is that they have upgraded the firmware to 1.3! Could this be the end of those infernal track-skipping blues?

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on February 23, 2005 at 7:59 AM (CST)

WTF No FireWire(400) Cabel and no ‘Brick’!! Wow so this was how Apple managed to knock $50.00(USD) off the price of the Mini!

Wow what a bargin! What the Hell is One to do when He/She is on Holliday?!? Buy an external Batterie? Make one out of an old Box of Breath Mint’s? I’m sorry but, thats really cheap of Apple…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 23, 2005 at 8:50 AM (CST)

On the bright side it looks like Apple finally got off there Duff, and made a new iPodOS for us 3ed Gen’ers!!

HOORAY!!! They finally put a Shuffle on the Main Menu!!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 23, 2005 at 8:53 AM (CST)

Man, according to you all Apple cannot release anything good, eh?  I have three iPods, and hardly *ever* use the wall charger.  Do you all really use it that much?  I’m on the go, at work, and just run off battery.  Then at night at home I just hook it up to my Imac to recharge.  What’s the big deal?

I think this is a great update.  The new vivid colors are sharp, and the battery life (18 hours!!!!) is huge.

I’ve never been a fan of the iPod photo, so I am a big sorry to see the 40gig iPod go away.

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on February 23, 2005 at 9:24 AM (CST)

Actually, I’m glad there is no color screen on the mini, else with the 6G AND the 18 hr battery life, I would be tempted to upgrade.  Now I’ll be content to wait until next year.

As far as the 18 hr battery life, I wonder how they are getting that.  New battery?  I’m lucky if I get 6 hrs with mine nowadays.

Posted by vroom96 on February 23, 2005 at 9:58 AM (CST)

Since I don’t want to lug my iMac with me on weekends away and holidays (i.e. vacations, US readers) the power adapter is essential.

It sucks even more that the FW cable’s been dropped now too. If your Mac (or PC, for that matter) is actually capable of working with an iPod (i.e. can run OS X and has FireWire) then the pack-ins should absolutely facilitate that.

Posted by Raskolnikov on February 23, 2005 at 10:07 AM (CST)

How is it “Cheap” of Apple to take something out of the box and lower the price?  Its actually is plain and simple good economics.  It matches the consumer with their preferred price.  It is not an “upgrade”, which is where disappointment might come in.  But if you want to spend $50 to have the power brick and firewire, then you spend $50 for it.  And there is no change in price.  And Apple is not cheap.  But if you would rather save $50 and put that money towards a car charger, then you are happy.

Smart move…just disappointing that they aren’t giving all the extras away for free.  C’mon, Apple. Give give give!

Posted by ugotabkdin in Chicago on February 23, 2005 at 10:38 AM (CST)

if apple isn’t providing the AC wall charger, how are they going to handle Firmware updates? the last couple ones i did on my mini required me to plug it into the wall charger.

Posted by darth on February 23, 2005 at 10:52 AM (CST)

Just to play devil’s advocate with some in of the postings, but I think it’s ok to lower the price at the expense of not including some previously packaged accessories.

It lowers the barriers for getting people into the product line, then allows the consumer to choose which accessories would be good add-on’s for them - whether that means buying it at the point of sale or getting it a later date (repeat business).

Posted by ipod21 on February 23, 2005 at 11:41 AM (CST)

OK, OK, OK!!! Now, Apple temped me into buying an ipod shuffle…but ‘‘new’’ ipod mini!! Unless i stop randomers in the street and explain the improved battery life and how i saved my ass a few pennies…WHO CARES!!!

I like that Apple are improving battery life and that they have got the message about the Mr. T style gold mini, but (as the wise man Steve Jobs once said)....’‘Why Fix It, If It Aint’ Broken’‘.

But on a final note, i am considering upgrading my current ipod mini to the…erm…’‘new’‘...ipod photo 30GB. Simply because i wont give Apple the pleasure of having another sucker upgrade to the 6GB ipod mini….[!]

Posted by >nATHAN in UK on February 23, 2005 at 12:17 PM (CST)

darth: Good point about the firmware upgrading. Perhaps this is an indication that Apple do not plan any future firmware upgrades for the models that don’t ship with AC power supplies… :o(

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on February 23, 2005 at 2:16 PM (CST)

finally, I have been waiting for the longer battery life of the mini.  the price drop is nice too as I already own a ipod so I won’t need another power adaptor, nice thought of apple.  I am going to order one for sure, and I love the new color arm ban.  Nice work apple!

Posted by quentin in France on February 23, 2005 at 3:18 PM (CST)

Well, here I go to return my old mini (I got it 10 days ago) and to get a new one! 18 hours is the most tempting thing on there. ^_^

Posted by Kuja on February 23, 2005 at 3:20 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >