Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199
Apple today introduced the second-generation iPod mini lineup, reducing the price of its first-generation 4GB model to $199, while introducing a new 6GB model priced at $249. Both iPod mini models feature increased battery life of up to 18 hours, and retain the same black-and-white screen found in the initial model.
The 4GB and 6GB models of iPod mini for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately in a choice of silver, pink, blue or green. Each of the three latter colors is an updated, stronger shade of the previous iPod mini color, while gold - a color long tipped to be relatively unpopular - has quietly been discontinued.
Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables ($19) and FireWire Power Adapters ($29) from the iPod mini boxes, and now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable - presumably for computer-aided recharging. The company now separately sells a USB Power Adapter ($29), recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging.
Simultaneous with the release of the new iPod mini, Apple has also announced five new colors of its neoprene exercise Armband - orange, yellow, blue, pink, and grey - in addition to its previous black version. Each is priced at $29, and is an “Apple Store Exclusive.” A single iPod mini lanyard ($19) has also been introduced, and attaches to the mini’s Dock Connector. It is expected to ship in 5-7 weeks, according to Apple.
- iLounge reader creates all-wood iPod mini, accessories
- iPod mini still a popular choice
- Apple threatens Korean company over iPod knockoffs
- Report: Samsung woos Apple with cheap flash prices
- HP to sell iPod mini
- iPod mini price cut ‘bad news for the competition’
- Apple TV App Store now removes installed apps from Top Charts
- Apple to push ‘new’ iPhone cycle from two to three years?
- Apple sued by Caltech over Wi-Fi patents
- Report: Developers losing interest in making watchOS apps
- Source: New AI set to give Siri a massive improvement
- India officially rejects Apple’s bid to sell used iPhones
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Spigen Rugged Armor, Style Armor + Wallet S for iPhone SE
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)