Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199 | iLounge News

Apple unveils new 6GB iPod mini, drops 4GB price to $199

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod mini

pic Apple today introduced the second-generation iPod mini lineup, reducing the price of its first-generation 4GB model to $199, while introducing a new 6GB model priced at $249. Both iPod mini models feature increased battery life of up to 18 hours, and retain the same black-and-white screen found in the initial model.

The 4GB and 6GB models of iPod mini for Mac or Windows are available worldwide immediately in a choice of silver, pink, blue or green. Each of the three latter colors is an updated, stronger shade of the previous iPod mini color, while gold - a color long tipped to be relatively unpopular - has quietly been discontinued.

Apple has also apparently dropped both FireWire cables ($19) and FireWire Power Adapters ($29) from the iPod mini boxes, and now includes only a single USB 2.0 cable - presumably for computer-aided recharging. The company now separately sells a USB Power Adapter ($29), recently reviewed on iLounge, for wall power charging.

pic Simultaneous with the release of the new iPod mini, Apple has also announced five new colors of its neoprene exercise Armband - orange, yellow, blue, pink, and grey - in addition to its previous black version. Each is priced at $29, and is an “Apple Store Exclusive.” A single iPod mini lanyard ($19) has also been introduced, and attaches to the mini’s Dock Connector. It is expected to ship in 5-7 weeks, according to Apple.

« Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices

MoviPod movie guide released for iPods »

Comments

Stop complaining, this isn’t supposed to be a real upgrade.

My 2G iPod is starting to fall apart, with a useless battery life and shattered headphone jack (I’ve been glueing it together when it breaks to great success). The 6GB iPod mini with it’s huge battery life is just what I’ve been asking for (short about 4GB…). I’ll think about upgrading.

Posted by minty on February 23, 2005 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

HOly S!@# wtf would they think of something sooooo sh13y its horible i mean losing the gold ipod was bad enough but theres also no fire wire NO ac adapter NO more brick!! i have a gold mini and i think its good enough!! you don’t need this s!@#  I hate IT!!!

Posted by ipodrulz in Canada on February 23, 2005 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

these aren’t enough “changes” to make me want to upgrade my mini, although if i had still been in the market for one i would have jumped on this.  18 HOURS??  holy cow.  to me, with the exception of vacations, long trips, etc., this would have eliminated the need for the wall charger.  i keep my wall charger at work because my mini won’t make it through a 8+ day.  with an 18 hour battery, though, that wouldn’t be necessary.  cool.

and call me a dork, but i like the way the click wheel controls match the color of the mini.

Posted by crystalballergoo on February 23, 2005 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Just a thought, if you win an ipod mini through the pepsi contest do you get one of these or an old one?

Posted by mrwright in california on February 23, 2005 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

matching clickwheel icons=sweet
18 hours=sweet
no charger, no usb=wtf?

i’m kinda glad it’s not on color.  then the mini would be better than classic ipod (4G no only in 20?).

my theory, the announcement for the 5G ipod will be that it has color and the mini is now in color.  (either that or color mini will be announced later to not steal the 5G thunder a la ipod shuffle & the mini.  why didn’t they announce this at macworld?)

Posted by Exvicious in Schaumburg, IL on February 23, 2005 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

From looking at the opening of gallery did it appear to you that Apple have changed the earbuds to grey/silver from the signature white? When I saw the images that was what I immeadiately thought but I don’t think it would make much sense since many people buy iPods just to been seen as having one - so they want the white earbuds regardless of sound quality. Anyway I don’t think matching green earbuds to go with your green iPod mini would look quite as nice. What do you think?

Posted by Tighe in Ireland on February 24, 2005 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

Here’s the thing - it’s still a price drop for the iPod itself.  Most people don’t need both the USB and FireWire cables, so knocking off some cash there is a good deal.  I am disappointed that they’re getting rid of the wall charger - I use that at home all the time, and it IS an necessity to travel with.  (Especially if your cigarette lighter doesn’t work, or you need it for a radar dectector, etc.)

Very excited about the price drop, but not as excited as my GF will be when I get her one for her b-day.  grin

Posted by Burnsy in Boston on February 24, 2005 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

Just got a mini a week ago to the day, ugh…well hopefully I can return and swap out. Does anyone know when the stores are going to start carrying the new 6gb (other than Apple store)?

Posted by scubalien on February 24, 2005 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

An 18 hour battery life is impressive for a mini, it blows the competition away.

Actually it’s about parity with the current crop of mp3 models, which seem to range from 15 to 25 hours on average for the 1” drives, with some outliers pushing up to 30 hours.

I take from this that Apple decided to burnb some margin and actually pay for a decent-capacity battery and get ASUSTek to put it in the mini. The new disk is a little lighter on the juice, but not by such a large amount.

Posted by Demosthenes on February 24, 2005 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

how do ppl update their ipods now? cuz u have to use the wallcharger to give it sum kinda shock to complete updating. and now this new $199 ipod mini only came out with USB cable. alot of ppl be forced to go out and pay $29 extra for sum charger?? overall , i would just stick to my 20GB ipod and be happy.

Posted by mada on February 24, 2005 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

Will we be able to replace the battery in our current mini with the new 18 hour one?

Posted by TheMav on March 3, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

To those asking how to update the firmware with no A/C adapter. Has anyone taken the time to think that you wont need the A/C adapters on the 2G minis to complete the update. DUH!

Posted by eriqesque in USA on March 4, 2005 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

does anyone have a picture comparing the 2G pink mini to the 1G pink mini.  i’ve seen side-by-side pictures of the blue and the green.  just curious how much the color really changed.

Posted by ugagirl in athens, ga on March 9, 2005 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

hey i was just wondering…

i’m looking to buy and iPod mini and was wondering if the 4G and 6G both come with the color updates?(darker and matching “menU” “>>” “<<” “>/=” keys) ?????

Posted by achilles_heel in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on March 21, 2005 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

First of all, I’m not a Mac user by choice although I do use it and do find the designs really cool.  Must give credit to Apple for style.  That has never been its problem.  My problem with Apple is price.

The ipod mini is a good example.  If you say you are lowering the price, then you should lower the price with all its accessories intact.  If a laptop maker says they are lowering the price and decides to exclude to DC power charger. There would be hell to pay.  It should be no different with ipod Mini (I’m surprised that there aren’t more people outraged by this.) The argument the lowered price allows more customizability doesn’t really fly because if this is true than laptop makers can chose to not include a DC power supply by arguing that consumers may want a car charger for the laptop instead. (This is in reference to a previous post.) Furthermore, this can be construed as false advertisement because they say they are selling a good, which most people think of as what was previous being sold, when in fact the contents of the package has changed.

Anyways…I’m pretty pissed that Apple with its billions is still so cheap in trying to squeeze another $50 from the people.  If I wasn’t buying ipod mini as a gift, then I won’t buy it at all until it stops being so cheap.  Maybe that is how Apple lost most its PC market.  If this continues, the same will happen to ipod.

Just my two cents…

Posted by johnanderson123 on March 31, 2005 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

hihi all. i am going to get an ipod mini for my bday. i am going to get a 4gig. but the thing is, whats this about a wall charger? because i would really like one… instead of a usb cable… *sigh* someone tell me - is a blue ipod better or a silver ipod better?

Posted by ipod_newbie on June 19, 2005 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2