Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone | iLounge News

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone

image

Following literally years of speculation and rumors, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today introduced the iPhone, a sleek all-in-one device combining a mobile phone, widescreen iPod, and internet communicator. The iPhone boasts a 3.5-inch widescreen display and runs a version of Apple’s Mac OS X operating system with an innovative new user interface for using just a finger to control the device on-screen.

It comes in two capacities—4GB and 8GB—and includes support for quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 EDR wireless technologies. The iPhone also sports a built-in 2 megapixel camera and will work with Macs or PCs. Apple’s Jobs confirmed that the exclusive carrier for the iPhone will be Cingular.

Jobs said the phone is 11.6mm thin—thinner than any smartphone available, including the Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack. The iPhone has built-in sensors—an accelerometer, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor—that serve to automatically rotate the display from portrait to landscape, and to turn off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches. Battery life is said to be 5 hours for talk time, video or browsing, and 16 hours of audio playback.

The iPhone will be available in June. The 4GB iPhone model will sell for $499, while the 8GB model will sell for $599, each with 2-year contracts. Apple said Cingular will announce service plans for the iPhone before it begins shipping in June. The iPhone will be available in Europe in late 2007, and Asia in 2008. Jobs said he was announcing it today and shipping nearly six months from now because Apple needs FCC approval. The iPhone will sell in Apple Stores and Cingular stores.

Users are able to make calls in several different ways, including simply pointing at a name or number with their finger. The iPhone syncs contacts from a PC, Mac or Internet service, and allows users to easily create conference calls. Another new feature called Visual Voicemail lets users look at a list of their voicemails, choose which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without having to sit through prior messages. The iPhone also includes an SMS application with a full QWERTY screen-based touch keyboard to easily send and receive SMS messages in multiple sessions.

In addition to a mobile phone, the iPhone includes a major new iPod portion. The device features touch controls for play-pause, chapter forward-backward and volume. To go along with the iPhone’s widescreen display, there’s now a Cover Flow view for browsing your music library by album cover artwork. (The iPhone is switched automatically to Cover Flow view by simply rotating the device into its landscape position.) Movies and TV shows are obviously also now viewable in a full widescreen view.

The iPhone runs a slimmed-down version of Mac OS X, including email, web browsing, searching and maps. A rich HTML email client fetches email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos along with the text. The iPhone comes with a mobile version of Apple’s Safari web browser, allowing users to view web pages as they appear on a PC, and then zoom in to expand any section by simply tapping on iPhone’s multi- touch display with their finger. The iPhone also includes Google Maps for viewing maps, satellite images, traffic information and directions. The iPhone also includes a calendar application and a photo management application, which can be automatically synced with your PC or Mac.

Several iPhone accessories will also be available in June, including a new Bluetooth wireless headset and new pair of iPod-like earbuds with integrated microphone.

« Apple TV announced

Report: iTunes Store to get Paramount movies »

Comments

What will probably happen is that Apple will release a higher-end model of the regular iPod. It would be about the price of the iPhone (just with more storage). Everybody is thinking about the 100GB 1.8” Hard Drive, but I say, why not a bigger drive? The technology is there, and just because Toshiba hasn’t announced it doesn’t mean it won’t.

Posted by anti-luddite on January 9, 2007 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

There are two things they could’ve done to make it a full slam dunk.
1) Added a micro-SD slot
2) Made it HSDPA instead of EDGE
Running the web even on this phone over EDGE will suck, especially when viewing the google maps sat. photos.

Posted by JPBOSS on January 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Looks great, enjoyed the demo on the Apple site.  Hopefully they’ll have listened to the complaints from the Windows Mobile crowd and addressed them.

One thing this needs is voice command.  Microsoft really got that right with version 1.6 and it’d be great to see it included in the Apple phone.

Hopefully you’ll be able to add memory cards and I didn’t see anything about the rumoured two batteries.  Bit concerned over the iPod charger.  Hope you don’t have to have any software loaded to charge it.  Just plug it into a laptop and juice up.

Exchange push mail will really get the attention of the Blackberry and Windows Mobile users too. And get TomTom on it dammit!

Posted by Craig Rider on January 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Amazing and Somewhat Disapointing.

I wish the capacities were greater, and the price is some-what through the roof. I would need the 8GB and I just renewed with Cingular two months ago for two years.

Oh-well, by the time I can upgrade it will probably be cheaper and improved.

However, its so pretty. And probably runs AMAZINGLY.

Posted by Kyle Waters on January 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

I am really disappointed. There is nothing about it that is special. It does not even look stylish, not to mention special. The capacity is too small. Fans may buy it, but to bring client growth to Apple - I doubt.
No. not impressed.

Posted by ver on January 9, 2007 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

It’s amazing how negative some of you are!

This is awesome, I wish I could throw out my Treo today.

I just wish I could integrate it with my outlook via Good Technology and get my company to buy me one.

This is a real breakthrough, the apple design and technology will allow this to work better than any device out there.  It blows Palm OS and Windows Mobile out of the water.

I agree I’d like just a wide screen iPod too or a device with 30 GB or more in storage but those will come as you all know.

Amazing as always Steve & company!!

Posted by Wheatie ipod on January 9, 2007 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

Not for me thank you. It’s one of those devices which can do a lot, but most of it in a “crippled” way (meaning: not as good as a device dedicated to just one or two tasks).

Let’s face it: as a video player it’s useless with only 4Gb/8Gb on board. Even as a music player, it’s already out of interest for me (17Gb collection).

I don’t see any fun/use in browsing the web with a phone. It’s just too small to be useful (unless you want to zoom everytime you want to read something).

I don’t see any use in sending emails with a phone either. No phone keyboard is really up to that task.

And i would never buy something with a touch screen again (my fingerprints would be all over it, as they are with my logitech ipod speakers).

I really hoped for a true iPod (music player) and better quality encoding at the iTunes store. So i was really dissapointed.

Posted by Wou on January 9, 2007 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

2mp camera? I’d have expected better.

The touch screen is a great idea, but imagine after 5 minutes the screen will be marked all over. Time to squeeze extra $$$ out of the punter and force them to buy cases and/or screen protectors.

Great idea, lousy product in reality.

Posted by delorean on January 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM (PDT)

No GPS?

Posted by J T on January 9, 2007 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

I predict that Apple (INC) already has a new iPod ready to go but won’t announce or sell it until the iPhone can be sold.

The iPhone still has regulatory hurdles to clear and there is no clear date on whewn it would be available.  By launching in tandam, Apple would be able to offer clear platforms for specific customer groups.

Posted by Jeffrey on January 9, 2007 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Everyone chill out…you just KNOW they are going to release an ipod-only version of this with a huge hard drive later this year…it just makes sense.

Posted by phunkysai on January 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

I will beg, borrow and steal to get one of these when it comes out in the UK! Hopefully the prices will be about £280 and £320.

Oh and for the people complaining about it, do you seriously think that in the 5 months it takes for this to be released, Apple will not improve it? I 100% expect that the capacities will be upgraded before a single iPhone is sold.
Also, I have a strong feeling that the battery is replacable. Look at this picture of the side of the iPhone:
The bottom part is a darker colour. I bet that bit slides off to allow access to the battery

Posted by K. Pilkington on January 9, 2007 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

I’m sure the implementation will be a deciding factor for a lot of people, but it really does strike me as being an incredible device, or at least potentially so.  Already linking it to one provider is going to hamper them.  The phone functions appear attractive and intuitive, but in the end it’s still a phone, capable of the same basic functions as all phones. The iPod give you a bigger screen but cuts your capacity (if you’re a video iPod user), so being able to play movies on a bigger screen with higher resolution isn’t that attractive if you don’t have room to store them, so I look at the iPod features as more of a bonus.  If I can’t replace my video iPod, it’s not much of a selling point.  The extent to which the non-phone functions are tied to Cingular may make or break it for me and some others.  A pocket-sized WiFi device that surfs the internet, checks your e-mail, and downlaods and plays music and movies is impressive enough, but if you have pay Cingular every time you use those functions or pay more for your Cingular contract than you would with another phone, that could be a deal breaker.  If, however, those features can be used at any WiFi hotspot you can take you laptop to, it could be very nice indeed, and worth the money.

Posted by Mr. E. on January 9, 2007 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

I have been following this phone closely, eagerly awaiting it and have had my bubble burst by the Cingular only facts, Steve, why only one carrier? and if so why Cingular?? Im sorry to say you just lost your most loyal customer and his $600 bucks….. mad

Posted by PhonePhreak on January 9, 2007 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

you guys !  wow this is a great product ..Think about this it’s the first generation !!! wait until they get to the second generation ...... think about this why carry two devices ipod and phone…this make sense ..in 3 more years this product will have problably 20 gb hard drive ...slim and all the bell and whistle you apple people want ...But for now look at this like the first ipod( REmenber 10gb it had I think )...now ipods come in 80 gb ... this is a great evolution of a product…Ipod will always exist i think but in a smaller forms…..like the nano ....this is very good for you Apple people ...very good…

Posted by wow on January 9, 2007 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

Hi guys!

It’s interesting how some people seem to miss the largest reason for Apple to (have to) release the iphone.

It’s not to fullfill the needs of those who are satisfied with the traditional ipod concept, nor satisfy their needs of more storage capacity.

Needs I think will be fullfilled sooner or later.

The biggest reason for this introduction is that Apple HAD to release an MP3 capable PHONE.

Since the MP3 player market and phone market are converging with cheap phones packing well over a gig of music, “regular” people will see no great need (other than coolness) to buy an additional MP3 player to carry around if they already have one in their phone - it would just be another device to carry around. That is, Apple’s market share would start to gradually decline, probably steeply after a while.

I.e. to uphold (and expand) their current market share Apple HAD to introduce this product - even if some die hard ipod fans do not see the need for it.

.jonas

PS. Making it exclusive to a single carrier seems very strange though. Hopefully it will only be during an initial phase.

Posted by Jonas on January 9, 2007 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

so what are the dimensions compared to a nano or 30 gig iPod?

Geez, just like the RAZR, it may be incredibly thin but too wide. Just like every other smartphone.

Plus, the capacities suck and it’s only Cingular. No thanks.

Posted by Brent on January 9, 2007 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

If this turns out well, I might consider selling my 2GB nano 2g and my current phone and buy this one. Built in WiFi is great and I also love the OSX and widescreen iPod function, coverflow on an iPod is just goed. But the price is a little high although it is quite the phone.

Posted by Pixsol on January 9, 2007 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

are you guys insane?! how can you not LOVE this product? the interest in smart phones is exploding, and the iphone takes the cake in that market. it can play all your music with the ipod ease of use, used as an internet tablet in any wifi hotspot (i dont intend to buy a data plan, no EDGE business), take/ recieve calls, wireless headphones (how many people who crying for a bluetooth ipod?!). you may not be able to see the appeal now, but watch as consumers everywhere bow down and hail the iPhone.

Posted by immersionwarning on January 9, 2007 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

“Battery life is said to be 5 hours for talk time, video or browsing, and 16 hours of audio playback.”

5 hours playback a video? NEVER!

5 hours browsing on a background
lightning display? Maybe. But not
on a touchscreen. NEVER.

You all know the problems with
background lightning displays.

i don’t believe this.

Posted by Dude on January 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »