Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone | iLounge News

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone

image

Following literally years of speculation and rumors, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today introduced the iPhone, a sleek all-in-one device combining a mobile phone, widescreen iPod, and internet communicator. The iPhone boasts a 3.5-inch widescreen display and runs a version of Apple’s Mac OS X operating system with an innovative new user interface for using just a finger to control the device on-screen.

It comes in two capacities—4GB and 8GB—and includes support for quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 EDR wireless technologies. The iPhone also sports a built-in 2 megapixel camera and will work with Macs or PCs. Apple’s Jobs confirmed that the exclusive carrier for the iPhone will be Cingular.

Jobs said the phone is 11.6mm thin—thinner than any smartphone available, including the Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack. The iPhone has built-in sensors—an accelerometer, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor—that serve to automatically rotate the display from portrait to landscape, and to turn off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches. Battery life is said to be 5 hours for talk time, video or browsing, and 16 hours of audio playback.

The iPhone will be available in June. The 4GB iPhone model will sell for $499, while the 8GB model will sell for $599, each with 2-year contracts. Apple said Cingular will announce service plans for the iPhone before it begins shipping in June. The iPhone will be available in Europe in late 2007, and Asia in 2008. Jobs said he was announcing it today and shipping nearly six months from now because Apple needs FCC approval. The iPhone will sell in Apple Stores and Cingular stores.

Users are able to make calls in several different ways, including simply pointing at a name or number with their finger. The iPhone syncs contacts from a PC, Mac or Internet service, and allows users to easily create conference calls. Another new feature called Visual Voicemail lets users look at a list of their voicemails, choose which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without having to sit through prior messages. The iPhone also includes an SMS application with a full QWERTY screen-based touch keyboard to easily send and receive SMS messages in multiple sessions.

In addition to a mobile phone, the iPhone includes a major new iPod portion. The device features touch controls for play-pause, chapter forward-backward and volume. To go along with the iPhone’s widescreen display, there’s now a Cover Flow view for browsing your music library by album cover artwork. (The iPhone is switched automatically to Cover Flow view by simply rotating the device into its landscape position.) Movies and TV shows are obviously also now viewable in a full widescreen view.

The iPhone runs a slimmed-down version of Mac OS X, including email, web browsing, searching and maps. A rich HTML email client fetches email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos along with the text. The iPhone comes with a mobile version of Apple’s Safari web browser, allowing users to view web pages as they appear on a PC, and then zoom in to expand any section by simply tapping on iPhone’s multi- touch display with their finger. The iPhone also includes Google Maps for viewing maps, satellite images, traffic information and directions. The iPhone also includes a calendar application and a photo management application, which can be automatically synced with your PC or Mac.

Several iPhone accessories will also be available in June, including a new Bluetooth wireless headset and new pair of iPod-like earbuds with integrated microphone.

« Apple TV announced

Report: iTunes Store to get Paramount movies »

Comments

I hope they keep making iPods.  I don’t want my music combined with a cell phone

Posted by Anon on January 9, 2007 at 5:32 PM (CST)

wow, mostly negative.  that’s ok, I bet you’ll have one anyway.

no GPS - why not bluetooth add-on

Edge network - ok, that is strange

8 gigs - smaller than my 80 gig, but for a phone that’s great.  and I’ll have both

SD/memory card - Why, it has a hard drive.

touchscreen/fingerprints - us a stylus or a bluetooth keyboard/keypad thingy, and is this the same guy that wants a widescreen 80 gig???what’s the difference?

cingular - whatever, that’s who I use with Treo and for emergency/passing time internet it’s fine

to me this is a great PDA/phone - everthing I would expect from apple and we’ve been waiting for a long time for them to issue a pda and this one rocks.  2 mp camera, bluetooth, wifi, 8 gigs, touchscreen, I can’t wait

Kudos Apple

Posted by bmann on January 9, 2007 at 5:49 PM (CST)

Hmmmm…interesting in a lot of ways. But it seems like a forward thinking device using a backwards outdated backend. Why? Why not make this phone wi-fi enabled and have the option to use the internet that way? It would be better using hot spots. Clearly that is the direction things will go, VoIP will be everywhere eventually and cell phone companies will end up either changing or going the way of the dinosaur as they should. This device is okay, but only a small vision of what it could (and should) be eventually. It just seems like a crippled product right from the start. Especially for the price.

Posted by Greg on January 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM (CST)

Greg- this phone does have WiFi

“includes support for quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 EDR wireless technologies.”

Posted by David on January 9, 2007 at 6:27 PM (CST)

Phones are often released to one carrier and then spread to other carriers.  If Apple is truly a consumer electronics company, this phone will soon be with all.  There is also the chance that Verizon said no thanks (for now).  They’ve made their Chocolate the center piece of several campaigns, and probably did not want to compete with themselves.  I also assume they own more control w/ the Chocoloatet than they would with Apple.

If you’re Cingular, you are willing to give up more to have exclusive rights (these are always short term) since they needed a big splash of a device to compete against Verizon.  They have also invested a ton in music services, so this fits.

Posted by Jeff on January 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM (CST)

I think this is a great product, minus two things. One, not much capacity, my nano is almost filled with just music. Hopefully by the time it comes out they will have the sense to make it either have a bigger capacity or at least upgradeable. Two, it’s going to be hard for many people to switch to cigular, or they just don’t want to, me being one who doesn’t. Many people don’t have the money to just drop their phone service and get a whole new service. Being on the subject of price, many people also just can’t meet those large prices. Maybe that will be modified by the release too. It looked as though Apple was trying to appeal to the lower-income side of electronic consumers with the new ipod prices recently, but I guess this is just geared toward income-inclined individuals…

Posted by chris on January 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM (CST)

Reinventing the phone?  Sorry, but the PDA phone I’ve had since this time last year can already do everything the iPhone can do, and more.  In fact, there is already so much software available for Win Mobile that there really are no limits as to what you CAN do.  Will the iPhone have speaking multilanguage dictionaries when it comes out?  And all on phones that are $100-200 cheaper.

The only difference is, once again as they did with Palo Alto, Apple has stolen other peoples innovations (you really think they are the first device to use multi-touch input?) and put a glossy and expensive interface on top of it, then proclaimed to the world that they invented it all.  Just like no one could carry around their whole music library in their pocket until the iPod.  Please.

And guess what—I can already stream my entire music collection—not just 1000 songs or so—from my home pc to my pda phone at 128kb or more, plus my digital video collection, every photo I’ve ever taken at full res, browse the web in its native format, text message on AIM, MSN, Google, etc. etc.  And I don’t even have to downconvert my files to some proprietary format first.

And, unlike Apple products I can UPGRADE the features if I so desire.  If sandisk comes out with a 32GB miniSD card, I can just pop it right in.  If the battery goes down, just get a new one.  So who decided it was a good idea to seal the iPod case anyway?  Way to look out for the consumer, Steve.

I have no doubt that by the time this phone is released, someone will have written a similar interface for PDA phone users.

Posted by robbyRobo on January 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM (CST)

Whoa, wait, it has a hard drive?!  How did I miss that?  OK folks, you’d better not drop it, EVER, even with a hard case.

Posted by robbyRobo on January 9, 2007 at 7:01 PM (CST)

someone needs to figure out how to hack this so we can put a bigger hard drive in it!!

Posted by Ferg on January 9, 2007 at 7:29 PM (CST)

The iPhone is not hard drive based.  Also becasue its quad band GSM that means it will work with any carrier that uses the GSM network.  You will want to go with Cingular just for the hefty rebates they shove down your throat when signing up for a 2 year contract.  From what I understand it will be avalible in the Apple store so you can pay full price and use it with any GSM carrier.

Posted by jared on January 9, 2007 at 7:51 PM (CST)

What I am most excited and hopeful about, is that firmware updates for the phone will be as simple as they are for the iPod. A big problem for new phones/pdas, is that they come with software bugs, and updating the phone with the new software is a big pain in the butt. But if the iPhone can be updated as easily as the iPod, bugs will be squashed quickly and easily.

Posted by Paco on January 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM (CST)

Since Apple has hooked up with Cingular, my guess is that the phone will be Network Locked, so that it can only be used with Cingular. All phones have the ability to be unlocked, but how easily that can be done through third parties, or how willing Cingular will be to give out the codes, will be something we will have to wait and see on. My guess is that if it is Network Locked, Cingular will not be giving out any codes at least in the short term.

Posted by Paco II on January 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM (CST)

This thing is SOOOOO Ridiciously Over-Priced… $500 for a 4GB w/ a 2-Year Contract???!! .... for a phone??! Plus… you’ll probably have to put out at least $50-$60 a month for a plan that’ll let you use all the voice & data features.

Furthermore…. the battery time seems laughable for such a high-price item… 5 lousy hours…. and that’s what Apple claims…. you’ll probably only get 3-4…. not even half a day…. What a joke….

We all know that anything with an Apple logo on it is “extremely” unlikely to have any discount or promo price…. I can get a Sony W800i for a $50 PROFIT & use that $50 to get a 4GB card w/ 2 year contract extention…..

Now I’m REALLY Glad that I switched from Mac (after using Mac for 10 years) to PC 2 years ago. Sure it looks nice, but it simply DOES NOT worth $500 w/ 2-year contract….. but do people realized that with $500 .... you can pretty much buy a PC or a Laptop…...

What a major disappointment…..

Posted by DJ on January 9, 2007 at 10:09 PM (CST)

Now if they could integrate into a stereo head unit like the just announced Eclipse AVN2210 then it would be perfect!!!!! just as long somehow there’s a GPS involved.  I mean the market is flooded with top electronic sales of Phones, GPS devices, Cameras, and Digital Music Players.  So why did Apple Inc. only do 3 out of four?

Posted by J T on January 9, 2007 at 10:21 PM (CST)

I agree with NJO. Have a little vision, people!  This is phenomenal.  And, it wouldn’t hurt to use spell check once in awhile…

Posted by e. on January 9, 2007 at 10:44 PM (CST)

There is a glaring weakness in this iphone. What you may ask? well, its uses cingular edge which is like using dial up. Why didn’t they implment a 3g chip using cingular broaband access is beyond me. Ill wait till 2008 models thank you..

Posted by anthony on January 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM (CST)

I have Cingular right now so that’s cool!!  I have the Motorola SLVR iTunes phone but can’t wait for the real iPhone :)

Posted by Bobby C on January 9, 2007 at 11:19 PM (CST)

This phone is amazing and i seriously plan on buying it the first day it comes out.  I figure that the no cntract price will be 800 for the 8 giger, and my dad gets a 50% of ALL cingular retail price phones, so i can get it for 400.  This is beautiful.  He gets major government and military iscounts.  The only thing is if possibly itrequires some wierd iPhone plan, which would suck cause there is no way i can convince my parents to switch plans. let alone lt ME buy this thing.

Posted by joey lang on January 10, 2007 at 12:17 AM (CST)

It seems I agree with everyone else. I would buy it if it had at LEAST 30GB and if it carried other companies besides singular. I would need to cancel my contract and pick up cingular… which works OK in my area. plus I’m on a family plan so i would also have to switch them. too much of a hassel for me… New Slogan!  “just works… with cingular”

Posted by Andrew H on January 10, 2007 at 12:26 AM (CST)

苹果手机真是一个伟大的产品,但现在还不能上市,真的遗憾!在我的国家里能是遥不可及的事。

Posted by 张鲲鹏 on January 10, 2007 at 1:46 AM (CST)

Page 4 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >