Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone | iLounge News

Apple unveils revolutionary iPhone

image

Following literally years of speculation and rumors, Apple CEO Steve Jobs today introduced the iPhone, a sleek all-in-one device combining a mobile phone, widescreen iPod, and internet communicator. The iPhone boasts a 3.5-inch widescreen display and runs a version of Apple’s Mac OS X operating system with an innovative new user interface for using just a finger to control the device on-screen.

It comes in two capacities—4GB and 8GB—and includes support for quad-band GSM, EDGE, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 EDR wireless technologies. The iPhone also sports a built-in 2 megapixel camera and will work with Macs or PCs. Apple’s Jobs confirmed that the exclusive carrier for the iPhone will be Cingular.

Jobs said the phone is 11.6mm thin—thinner than any smartphone available, including the Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack. The iPhone has built-in sensors—an accelerometer, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor—that serve to automatically rotate the display from portrait to landscape, and to turn off the display to save power and prevent inadvertent touches. Battery life is said to be 5 hours for talk time, video or browsing, and 16 hours of audio playback.

The iPhone will be available in June. The 4GB iPhone model will sell for $499, while the 8GB model will sell for $599, each with 2-year contracts. Apple said Cingular will announce service plans for the iPhone before it begins shipping in June. The iPhone will be available in Europe in late 2007, and Asia in 2008. Jobs said he was announcing it today and shipping nearly six months from now because Apple needs FCC approval. The iPhone will sell in Apple Stores and Cingular stores.

Users are able to make calls in several different ways, including simply pointing at a name or number with their finger. The iPhone syncs contacts from a PC, Mac or Internet service, and allows users to easily create conference calls. Another new feature called Visual Voicemail lets users look at a list of their voicemails, choose which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without having to sit through prior messages. The iPhone also includes an SMS application with a full QWERTY screen-based touch keyboard to easily send and receive SMS messages in multiple sessions.

In addition to a mobile phone, the iPhone includes a major new iPod portion. The device features touch controls for play-pause, chapter forward-backward and volume. To go along with the iPhone’s widescreen display, there’s now a Cover Flow view for browsing your music library by album cover artwork. (The iPhone is switched automatically to Cover Flow view by simply rotating the device into its landscape position.) Movies and TV shows are obviously also now viewable in a full widescreen view.

The iPhone runs a slimmed-down version of Mac OS X, including email, web browsing, searching and maps. A rich HTML email client fetches email in the background from most POP3 or IMAP mail services and displays photos along with the text. The iPhone comes with a mobile version of Apple’s Safari web browser, allowing users to view web pages as they appear on a PC, and then zoom in to expand any section by simply tapping on iPhone’s multi- touch display with their finger. The iPhone also includes Google Maps for viewing maps, satellite images, traffic information and directions. The iPhone also includes a calendar application and a photo management application, which can be automatically synced with your PC or Mac.

Several iPhone accessories will also be available in June, including a new Bluetooth wireless headset and new pair of iPod-like earbuds with integrated microphone.

« Apple TV announced

Report: iTunes Store to get Paramount movies »

Comments

Very disappointing. It’s a me too product. Smartphones ain’t cool!

Newton, anyone?

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on January 10, 2007 at 1:47 AM (CST)

2007 - The year Apple jumped the shark?

Posted by worm on January 10, 2007 at 1:49 AM (CST)

I agree with whoever said Apple is doing this because the have to release a Phone with MP3 capability.  This falls in line with every business strategy book I’ve ever read - blocking, an essential strategy.

Posted by worm on January 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM (CST)

Posted by worm on January 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM (CST)

My favorite:

“That being said, I’ll be surprised if Apple is still releasing phones in 3 years.  It’s just not a core competency.”

I’m pretty sure making an MP3 player wasn’t considered a core competency for Apple at one time.

This board has become a sounding board for Microsofties.  If you can’t beat them, bash them!

Posted by Jef on January 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM (CST)

holy god. it’s like a person’s entire ego. all their friends. all their tunes. all of whatever THEY want to read about or look at. wow. it does look and seem quite incredible though.

Posted by jason on January 10, 2007 at 5:34 AM (CST)

if this is truly “good” though i dunno. i don’t even have a cell phone, just meh Pod

Posted by jason on January 10, 2007 at 5:47 AM (CST)

I have to say, the iPhone is a little sexy piece of technology & being a tech diva I am very excited. BUT, i also think that since it is exclusively on for cingular…not too sexy.
This would have been perfect if it was just an unpgraded iPod w/more memory, keep the wi-fi & web browsing & keep the sensored touch screen. Basically, the iPhone w/no phone.C’mon…an iPod w/wi-fi???? do you really think people will switch to Cingular just to have this…escpecially at $500-$600.

Posted by Angela on January 10, 2007 at 6:40 AM (CST)

This may sound like a rediculous reason why someone would not purchase this…BUT… I absolutely HATE it when I use a cell phone and have to clean the front of it after every use due to the natural oils that soil the phoneas a result of having to press it against my face/cheek during use.

There’s no way I’d use a phone designed like this.  The entire front of it is ?? plastic?? and will be a mess everytime I use it.

I know that may sound like a silly reason… but silly or not, it’s keeping the $600.00 in my pocket instead of the new iPhone.

Posted by Chuck on January 10, 2007 at 7:28 AM (CST)

Is Cingular going to offer any kind of rebate with a 2 year agreement?

probably… and people are forgetting that you could just get a 29.99 data plan with this thing… for what it does, i think it may be worth it… this thing is amazing, next we will be driving flying cars

Posted by Dee on January 10, 2007 at 7:35 AM (CST)

They should have sold it SIM FREE, and allowed people to put their existing SIMs into it, so there was no number changing or contract fuss, I would deffo buy one then!

Posted by Russell on January 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM (CST)

Its good

Posted by Jason on January 10, 2007 at 9:19 AM (CST)

I’m not a “Microsoftie”—my allegiance will always be with Apple. But I still don’t think this product is for the masses, and it doesn’t appeal to me at all. Those who think life would end without their cell phones, however, will be chomping at the bit to get one. I’ll stick with my iPod until this thing gets released without all the bells and whistles.

Posted by bookcase on January 10, 2007 at 9:30 AM (CST)

Let’s see, my workplace is wi-fi, my home is wi-fi, my coffee shops are wi-fi, airports, etc,... and free. Sheesh, just about everywhere I go.  I think Apple realized 3G isn’t all that and bypassed it, going directly to internet over wi-fi and local network based content, while still able to get content out on the road if needed, edge only ofcourse. Very smart move I would say. 4G, or whatever apple/at&t/cingular dreams up next will be better than 3G anyway.

I think a model without the phone would be genius on Apple’s part, as then I would use Skype to make calls at all the above places.

I must say though, the usability of this machine is YEARS, yes YEARS ahead of any other phone out there. The UI is groundbreaking. More-so than the iPod was when it came out even.

Posted by John P. on January 10, 2007 at 10:29 AM (CST)

Its quite disappointing. You can feel that this phone is coming from a mp3 player manufacturer. Touchscreen phones are least durable. It looks really cool. But it will be prone to a lot of scratches and wear&tear;. One thing to note is that people use cellphone probably 10-20 times more than they use MP3 players. such usage is not taken into account.
Also, one cannot change batteries? What was apple thinking..?

This is more expensive than the most expensive ipod…its infact insane to price is so high…

Honestly, It should have had a flip design (it would have lasted longer) and they should have included 3G support. Then people might have thought of paying 500 bucks with a 2 year contract…

I think sony ericsson will have this phone for breakfast… they are way ahead in the game of multifunctional phones…

Posted by Vish on January 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM (CST)

i hope rogers or some carrier in Canada brings it over…
might be a while till i get this baby…

Posted by mikem on January 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM (CST)

Tom:

You are a dumbass.  This is why people laugh at your ideas regarding technology.

But keep reassuring yourself that you’re smarter than the Apple engineers…

Posted by TechPro on January 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM (CST)

WELL THE IPHONE ITS A GREAT DEVICE I DONT THINK IS THE BEST PRODUCT CAN APPLE BRING TO US BUT I HOPE THAT THE STRATEGY WORKS AND DONT PASED AWAY LIKE NEWTON

Posted by RAUL RUIZ on January 10, 2007 at 12:13 PM (CST)

what does the back look like?

Posted by felix on January 10, 2007 at 12:41 PM (CST)

For the price of the 8GB and penalties for cancelling your other phone, you can afford a nicer Macbook.  Plenty of Wi-Fi capability there and no crippled OSX.

Posted by worm on January 10, 2007 at 1:39 PM (CST)

Page 5 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >