Apple updates 2009 iPod classic 160GB software | iLounge News

Apple updates 2009 iPod classic 160GB software

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, September 28, 2009
News Categories: iPod

image

Apple has released Software Version 2.0.3 for the iPod classic 160GB (2009). According to the release notes, the software offers support for Genius Mixes; no other changes or bug fixes are mentioned. Notably, the 2009 iPod classic 160GB shipped with Software 2.0.2; the prior iPod classic 120GB was last updated to version 2.0.1, and it is unclear whether Apple plans to add Genius Mixes support to older iPod classic models. The 2.0.3 software update for the iPod classic 160GB (2009) is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

Update: No new updates have been released for prior iPod classic models to add Genius Mixes support.

« EU proposes volume limit on iPods, iPhones

iPhone accessories gain app download prompt »

Comments

The 2007 160GB Classic has needed an update for the last 2 years. The latest version of that (1.0.2 IIRC) is still painfully sluggish and unresponsive. Too bad Apple decided to sweep that under the rug and just move on to the 2008 120GB model. Perhaps this will also be Apple’s treatment of Snow Leopard’s problems?

Posted by Herr Doktor on September 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

I wouldn’t draw a link between Apple’s treatment of their iPod line and treatment of their operating system.

In spite of lots of reasons why it’s not in their long term financial interest to do so, the clickwheel iPods are treated like one-off products running their own individual OS. When a given model’s year of production is up, anything not related to critical bugs or compatibility with the revenue generating iTunes store is effectively off the table for further support from Apple. This is both an immediate cost savings move, they don’t invest resources into hardware that is no longer sold, and an impetus to keep people upgrading to newer iPods if they want to gain new features, no matter how minor, and the possibility of support on shortcomings and lesser bugs that have plagued the model line sometimes for years.

Snow Leopard’s problems are not tied to such a practice. The Mac OS is not tied to any one piece of hardware, rather Apple has been making a lucrative business out of trying to keep a constant revenue stream from older hardware via selling what are often insignificant point releases that are little more than OS patch packs with the occasional “major upgrade” thrown in so people don’t swear off of paying their semi-annual Mac user’s tax to Apple.

As such, Apple will have to address the Snow Leopard issue in some manner. Knowing Apple, they’ll keep mum as though there is no problem right up until there is a free point release for existing owners of Snow Leopard with “bug fixes”. Selling what Microsoft would be giving away free as a service pack or “critical” update is an important source of revenue, they’re not going to simply leave it as is until Mac OS X “Chester Cheeto” or whatever is ready to launch.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 29, 2009 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I wonder if this last-gasp iPod is still as sluggish as the 2007 160gb mentioned above?  It would never completely sync my large library, always coming to a crawl after 80 or so gbs and then finally crash.  I never could get it to do one full sync, so I ended up returning it.

The next year I bought the the 2008 model, thinking that by now Apple would have solved the syncing and sluggishness issue.  Nope, same problems—particularly the unresponsive click wheel.  (I kept going back to my 80gb 5.5, apparently the Gold Standard of iPods.)

And do they offer a way to turn off Cover Flow?  It seems to be one of the major culprits behind the iPod Classic’s sluggish responsiveness.

Just curious!

Posted by zyzyzyzyzyzyx on September 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

My 120Gb Classic, purchased Dec. 2008, has worked terrifically well for me.  I’m synching 88Gb of music currently, with no issues. For me, the click wheel works better for me than a touch screen, as I can make changes without looking at it. This is both safer for me while running or driving, and I suppose it’s just more tactile. If they don’t update the software to allow loading of Genius Mixes, I suppose I won’t ever miss them, but it would be fun to have them. Having Genius Mixes on my computer is of no use at all. I hope they update the software accordingly.

Posted by leotian on September 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

Hi

Can I jump in here

How stable is this update and does it

apply to my 160 GB ipod which is almost 2

years old now

I ve lost the ability to create a playlist

via coverflow , I now have to browse the

more traditional way via artist albums etc

to create a playlist

Im hoping this update may address that issue

Thanks

Posted by rozekloud on September 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

My older 160GB runs well and continues to suit my needs.  That being said, I did find Apples noticeable halt to updating and supporting it’s not that old hardware to be a bit abrupt when the newer classics came out.

Posted by Craig on September 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

hi
i have i pod classic 160GB , i do update it but after i did my i pod is very bod i mean is not work the new update is 4.0.2 , so pleas any body help me to got my old update , and how i do that
thankssss

Posted by ahmed on April 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

i have a ipod classic and a new computer but software to down load into my new computer were can i get from

Posted by james hiatt on June 29, 2011 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

hi i have a apple i pod classic 160gb.one of the latest models. i had my music on it around 36gig. one day my music was gone.

lucky i had it backed up. i tried putting the music back on it struggled a bit slowing the computer down and coming up with this error 50. but it still shoot over 34gig.

when its in i tunes it says the music is there, but when i unplug there is only 10 songs on it.

i have restored a few times, deleted everything used different computers and cant get through this problem.

im running latest itunes now on windows 7 with software 2.0.4

please help

Posted by sean knight on July 23, 2011 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

I have been here before about my ipod classic 160 GB late 2009 model!

I REALLY NEED SOME HELP/ADVICE ON DIAGNOSIS OF THIS BEAST!
I DID A FORMAT ON THE HD, USING THE FAT32 FORMATTER 1.1 FROM TOKIWA - THIS FORMATTER BYPASSES THE XP OS RESTRICTION OF 32 GB APPARENTLY.
THE REASON I FORMATED WAS BECAUSE THE CLASSIC WOULD NO LONGER SYNC ALL MY MOVIES-BOOKS ETC - PODCASTS WERE ALL NORMALLY SYNCED?  BUT BOOKS AND MOVIES (CONVERTED) WERE CUT DOWN TO THREE OR FOUR RANDOMLY? SELECTED.  THIS FORMAT DISN’T FIX THE ISSUE!
HELP!  ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE AN IDEA OR SIMILAR EXPERIENCE/FIX PLEASE CONTACT MIKE .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by MIKE on May 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM (PDT)