Apple updates iPod classic software to 1.1.2 [updated] | iLounge News

Apple updates iPod classic software to 1.1.2 [updated]

Apple has released iPod classic Software Version 1.1.2, the latest update to the full-size iPod’s firmware. According to the release notes provided by Apple, the release simply contains bug fixes, and does not appear to add any new features or cause any other significant changes. iPod classic Software Version 1.1.2 is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

Update: Apple has also released Software Version 1.1.2 for the iPod nano (with video), which, like the iPod classic update, appears to be a bug fix release. It is also available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« Apple opens iPhone Developer Program internationally

Apple taking loss on new release movie sales? »

Comments

Also for iPod nano 3rd gen.

Posted by Dennis on May 2, 2008 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

did they fix the battery problem that was existant in SOME 1.1.1 iPods?

Posted by Dbster in Georgia on May 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

You guys think there is any (even remote) chance that Apple will enable non-protected TV Out? As in, without the ridiculously overpriced Apple cables.

Posted by matt on May 3, 2008 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I hope the fixed the unresponsive Clickwheel.  I didn’t have any problems with mine until the 1.1.1 update.

Posted by keeba on May 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM (PDT)

@#4:
Keep hoping. I updated my Classic and it did nothing for the clickwheel issue. :(

Posted by fondy442 on May 5, 2008 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Its fixed my clickwheel and the Roberts ROBI now works properly and doesn’t shut down after 5 mins!

Posted by Michael Sanders on May 5, 2008 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Come on Apple.  Is it really that hard for you to make a firmware fix so that the ipod will read 4KB notes?  I have to reset my ipod five times to get the notes feature to work.  It’s ridiculous.  This has been a problem since it was released and the problem continues.  Other MP3 makers allow you to put any size text file on them and they load the file instantly.  On ipod, you have to reset it 5 times to read your notes.  I use notes a lot for work and I look to transfer rss feeds to the ipod.  I don’t think I am asking for much Apple.  Pull your head out of your #!$#$@% and fix the #$!##$ ipod nano.

Posted by ipod user on May 5, 2008 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

What are the chances that they will ever fix the camera connector problem :(

Posted by Leeana on May 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Clickwheel now very responsive - I didn’t actually realise it was so slow before until I updated it - nice! Coverflow seems faster too.

Leeana - have you used the camera connector much - I was quite disappointed with it when I went on a big trip - transferring a 1GB XD card full of photos to the iPod flattened the battery on both the camera and iPod, requiring a recharge of both before I could take more pictures, or listen to any music! I don’t think I’d use it again with my Classic even if I could…

Posted by paulj69 on May 6, 2008 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

Wooooo… Alarm clock fixed.  Finally I can wake up to my ipod.

Peter

Posted by Peter on May 6, 2008 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

iPod Classic updated from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2

I didn’t notice any clickwheel change at first glimpse, but yeah, I concur the Cover Flow mode is now renders quicker. In my opinion it looks like they’ve generally lowered resolution or dynamically lowering the texture resolution when animating. Short story: the text looks like #### when the album “turns around” to reveal the tracks. But does anyone use the cover flow?? I don’t get it at all. Yes I do generally have most of my music as albums, but using cover flow just makes it take longer to get to music I want. On a big screen the eye-candy might be worth it, but, well it’s personal smile

Any other interesting changes? I don’t know what alarm clock changes you mention Peter? I haven’t used alarm clock myself yet.

Posted by simon on May 6, 2008 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

The iPod Classic refuses to work with any iTunes version other than 7.6 after this update; it worked fine with at least 7.5 before, but iTunes won’t even let you see it in the devices list now unless you’re running 7.6.

Posted by Matthew on May 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

sorry about my above comment (embarassing), but does anyone miss the hold down menu switch to turn the backlight on and off like on the ipod mini id love if they could bring that back for the classic

Posted by Paul on May 7, 2008 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

Updated my 160GB model to 1.1.2 and, to be safe, performed a factory restore afterwards. Interface lag/unresponsiveness is ever so slightly improved, but still present.

iPod Classic: (still) the most UNFINISHED iPod ever.

Posted by The Doctor on May 7, 2008 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

@Leeana: I’m not sure you can really call it a camera connector problem in the sense that it’s something that needs to “fixed” any more than the video lockout issue problem.  While disappointing, both of these seem like intentional design decisions on Apple’s part, and I appears the camera connector is simply no longer supported on the new iPod models.

@Matthew:  It’s annoying if not downright rude that Apple chose to release a software update without notifying people that iTunes 7.6 would be required.  However, it’s notable that the iPod classic and iPod nano Tech Specs pages have listed iTunes 7.6 as a requirement since it was released in January, so it’s quite possible that this was supposed to be a requirement after the v1.1 update was released (possibly due to movie rental integration) and Apple just didn’t start enforcing it right away for whatever reason (intentional or otherwise).

@Paul:  Unfortunately, this feature has been missing since an early firmware update for the fifth-generation iPod. It’s therefore unlikely that it’s coming back anytime soon.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on May 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

It’s a shame none of the problems / bugs I have with the classic seem fixed.

Tha iPod keeps resetting. The wheel is unresponsive at times. It freezes every now and then. No full-screen album art. No album art at all in the “Now Playing” main menu (like the 3G nano). Incompatibility with all my iPod 5G accesories (let alone video out).

Jeez-uZ! I agree with The Doctor, an awfully unfinished and buggy firmware make this the most unfinished iPod ever. Everytime It lets me down I keep telling myself “You have this because of the 160GB. You need the 160GB”.

iPod video 5.5G FTW.

Posted by Arturo Lugo on May 7, 2008 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know whether this has sorted the audio drop-out bug? I have been experiencing audio drop-out for about 2 secs after about 1 hours playing time. The drop out is random, never the same track at the same point. I’m on to my 3rd 160gb classic and it’s still causing me grief. :-(

Posted by Jim on May 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

It seems to me that this release introduced an audio drop-out problem. 8gb nano.  I’ve experienced it 3 times in the first 60
minutes of play time since updating.

Posted by chris on May 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

Ever since the software update 1.1.2 I am unable to use my Apple Composite AV cable.  When trying to view movies from ipod to TV using the composite AV cable the TV screen rolls. Is anyone else having this problem since the update.

Posted by myrnacapurna on May 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I thought when I update my 160Gb iPod Classic to 1.1.2, it will fix the click wheel unresponsiveness issue but, it SUCKS! I sold my 60Gb 5th Gen iPod Video for this buggy iPod Classic.

Calling all apple iPod developers/programmers, I hope your next iPod update release will be bug free. Thanks!

Posted by Meister CJ on May 13, 2008 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >