Apple updates iPod, iTunes with Nike support | iLounge News

Apple updates iPod, iTunes with Nike support

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 29, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Apple today released iPod and iTunes software updates to add support for the Nike + iPod Sport Kit and related services. According to release notes, iPod Updater 2006-06-28 brings Nike support for the iPod nano, as well as a volume limit feature for the iPod shuffle, and various bug fixes. Apple said the iPod update includes iPod Software 1.1.2 for 5G iPods, iPod Software 1.2 for nanos, and iPod Software 1.1.4 for shuffles, but that it contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2006-03-23 for all other models. The just-released update of iTunes, version 6.0.5, allows users to sync Nike + iPod workout data to nikeplus.com and track their progress.

« Apple investigating stock option grant irregularities

iTunes video sales top 35 million; Over 150 TV shows offered »

Comments

Thanks, just saw this on digg.

Wonder what they fixed for the 5G.

Posted by ipodman715 on June 29, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

They didn’t fix the bug where it switches itself back on with the iPod radio remote plugged in.

Posted by Daveoc64 on June 29, 2006 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

i would really like to see an improvement for the clickwheel volume-jumping issue. or a solution to the fact that when you juice up the batter it forgets the shuffled songs when you have shuffle turned on.

Posted by v1q on June 29, 2006 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

Still no gapless playback.

Posted by steven on June 29, 2006 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

how about on the 5g, when you hold the menu button it turns on the backlight does this update fix it and make it work again.

Posted by John on June 29, 2006 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

#5 (John): That’s a deliberate feature change. They have made it so that the iPod nano and 5G iPod go to the main menu when Menu is held down, it’s by design not a bug.

Posted by Daveoc64 on June 29, 2006 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

I hope they fixed the quality & volume in the line-out.

Posted by sjt on June 29, 2006 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

That is a silly design change. I haven’t upgraded any of the software updates because they make that change to the initial firmware.

Posted by John on June 29, 2006 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

>>Still no gapless playback.
>>Posted by steven
Sorry but I must say it: Rockbox. Ever since I put it on I’ve been searching out albums with tracks that go into each other without the annoying gap.

Posted by Dave on June 29, 2006 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

I agree with John. It may be by design, but when a function that I paid for when I bought my iPod ceases to work, I would consider it a big. I also haven’t made any of the latest upgrades, which also keeps me from buying several of these new products from Apple. Therefore, I think it’s very unwise of them not to at least hide an option to switch it back somewhere in the menus. The way they changed it basically assumes that you will have the backlight always on when you’re using it, which uses up more battery power and consequentially cycles of the battery’s lifetime, effectively making your ipod die sooner. This might be a little extreme, but in practical use when I want to turn my ipod on and off while in bed I don’t want it to shine the backlight in my eyes.

Posted by catboy17 on June 29, 2006 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Posted by Eric LEwis on June 29, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

You use iTunes to set the volume limit for iPod shuffle

Posted by Daveoc64 on June 29, 2006 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

““volume limit feature for the iPod shuffle? how do you set the limit with no screen?”“
posted by eric lewis

I was wondering the exact same thing even though I was hoping for one for the shuffle when they first announced the volume limit update.  I bought shuffles for my neice and nephew and they have a tendacy to play their ipods loud… maybe to loud for a 6 and 8 year old.

The volume limit may be controled in iTunes…???

Posted by 3rdeye on June 29, 2006 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Something that has always annoyed me about the 5g ipod are the faulty menus when you back-track through single album artists.  Know what I mean?

Posted by bug in your eye on June 29, 2006 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

That bugs me too #14. I hoped that Apple would fix that in this update but they didn’t.

Single album artists names show on the title bar when backing up.

Posted by Daveoc64 on June 29, 2006 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

3rdeye: With regard to Shuffle volume, after installing iTunes 6.0.5.20 search help for “Setting a maximum volume on iPod shuffle” and the instructions are there.

Posted by Madam on June 29, 2006 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

... and the Shuffle volume instructions are online here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303414

Posted by Madam on June 29, 2006 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

If they can add the volume limit for the Shuffle, why not the Mini?  Let me know if I’m missing something.

Posted by hiker73 on June 30, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

I forgot to add that a friend’s son has a mini and he is blasting his ears out.  It would be great if you could limit the volume on his.  I know Apple wants you to upgrade but it’s crazy to make people upgrade just to get volume control.  I think it is something very basic and can help them avoid future lawsuits like the current one pending.  Think of all the millions of minis out there, or maybe by releasing the volume limit for an older model that would look like they are admitting there was a problem…

Posted by hiker73 on June 30, 2006 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

really?  no gapless playback?  i was listening to 2 AIFF that i made wit my band and the two tracks played gaplessly.  Remember when iTunes encoced music it seems to put a tiny bit of silence at the end.  mabey it has gapless playback and your just hearing the silence.

Posted by Alex Campbell on June 30, 2006 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >