Apple updates iPod, iTunes with Nike support | iLounge News

Apple updates iPod, iTunes with Nike support

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 29, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Apple today released iPod and iTunes software updates to add support for the Nike + iPod Sport Kit and related services. According to release notes, iPod Updater 2006-06-28 brings Nike support for the iPod nano, as well as a volume limit feature for the iPod shuffle, and various bug fixes. Apple said the iPod update includes iPod Software 1.1.2 for 5G iPods, iPod Software 1.2 for nanos, and iPod Software 1.1.4 for shuffles, but that it contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2006-03-23 for all other models. The just-released update of iTunes, version 6.0.5, allows users to sync Nike + iPod workout data to nikeplus.com and track their progress.

« Apple investigating stock option grant irregularities

iTunes video sales top 35 million; Over 150 TV shows offered »

Comments

“It may be by design, but when a function that I paid for when I bought my iPod ceases to work, I would consider it a bug.”

Now you know how ua 3G owners felt when Apple introduced the “OK To Disconnect” bug and despits loud protests, never, ever fixed it.

They don’t care.  They already have your money.  They never would have bothered to update the damn firmware at all this time if Nike hadn’t paid them to do it.

Posted by stark23x on June 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

#20: there is no gapless playback on the iPod without hacking.  Never was, and it seems there never will be.

Posted by stark23x on June 30, 2006 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

After customer feedback Apple decided that the Menu button should go to the main menu, not control the backlight as it that is now a redundant feature.

With color screens you need to have the backlight on to see it in most lights, unlike the monochrome screens that you could see in daylight.

Quick suggestion: Put “Backlight” on your main menu, then when you hold down menu it’s just a little further away.

Posted by Daveoc64 on July 1, 2006 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

Is the iPod update for the 4G or 5G? I read the Apple site and i’m thinking this is a 4G update since video isn’t mentioned.

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod on July 1, 2006 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

The backlight turning on all the time is a nuisance. I hate the thought of knowing I’m wasting away by ipod’s life when I don’t want it to. I wish there was hacked firmware that could allow the backlight to turn off again by holding the menu button. Perhaps we could all ask the folks in the http://www.ipodwizard.net forums to hack the firmware in that fashion. They’re known for making custom interfaces and font changes to the ipods.

Posted by Edwin on July 2, 2006 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

ive had a serious issue which i hope ipod can fix which is….no inline remotes work on my ipod which is a big disappointment and annoying as i bought £40 of remote gear!!!!

Posted by dd on July 3, 2006 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

what exactlly were the bugs that were fixed in this new update for the 5th gen ipod? i don’t understand?

Posted by mike on July 4, 2006 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Well, my ipod nano is connected to my computer for the update, but it’s been 14 hours and nothing has happened. It still says “updating ipod” on itunes. Is this normal????? If not, what should I do?

Posted by Amanda on September 13, 2006 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2