Apple updates iPod Radio Remote, AV Connection Kit | iLounge News

Apple updates iPod Radio Remote, AV Connection Kit

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Friday, February 2, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

In addition to releasing new colors for the second-generation iPod shuffle, Apple has quietly updated two additional iPod products: the iPod 5G- and nano-compatible iPod Radio Remote, and the iPod AV Connection Kit. Released in January of 2006, the original iPod Radio Remote included a shortened pair of Apple’s classic iPod Earphones, and a combination remote control and FM radio tuner, the latter part highly similar in design to the second iPod shuffle. The updated Radio Remote (shown) now includes Apple’s latest iPod Earphones, which can be seen through the front of its clear plastic package. Apple’s iPod AV Connection kit retains the same major pieces as its predecessor - a Universal Dock, iPod AV Cable, iPod Dock Connector to USB Cable, Apple Remote, and USB Power Adapter - but updates the USB Power Adapter with the later, smaller September 2006 component. iLounge checks show inconsistent in-store availability of the Radio Remote and AV Connection Kit - some third-party retailers and Apple Stores have the updated accessories, while others do not. Thanks to iLounger TheWho61 for the tip.

« Apple and The Beatles form new trademark agreement

Mix: Hot unpluggable, iConcertCal, Zune exec, Red 5 Studios »

Comments

I just emailed Ask iLounge about this earlier this week, and Apple has answered my question for me. Huzzah!

Posted by Andrew on February 3, 2007 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

Nice! Too bad I bought the radio remote when it first came out. That hurts, that really hurts. Oh well.

Posted by Chris on February 3, 2007 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

I recently bought an AV kit and was pleasantly surprised to find it included the tiny power supply, dock adapters for 80Gb 5G and 2nd-gen Nano. I also got 3 plug adapters. I was extremely happy with it and surprised at how up to date it was.

Posted by Japester on February 3, 2007 at 1:21 AM (PDT)

Well i don’t need to upgrade. No new features, just new earbuds. I don’t even like the earbuds.

Posted by ryan10ad on February 3, 2007 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

I’ve had several Radio Remotes: Apple really needs to fix the clug. The connectivity, hence the signal will, will cut of you use headphones with a “L” shaped mini-plug. Apple can only be expected to accept responsibility if you have a failure with their supplied, and (in my mind) inferior, earbuds.

Besides, the whole cool factor is blown with the dangle of wires. There has to be a better way for Apple to give FM, doesn’t there?

Posted by sandifop on February 3, 2007 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

I just saw a bunch of AV Kits on sale at the Hartford Apple Store for $70. Presumably they’re the kits with the ‘big’ USB Power Adapter. That’s quite a steal if you’re not concerned with the size of it. (it’s not THAT much bigger)

Posted by obliodoblio on February 3, 2007 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

Two questions.

Firstly, what’s different about this new one?

Secondly, any word on the possibility of it being available in other colours? Black by any chance?

Posted by Step666 on February 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

Step666,

Firstly, if you read above it tells you what is different,  no need for further explaination there.

Secondly, it’s not available in other colors, just white like always

Posted by MatrixSJD on February 4, 2007 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

When will we get digital radio for the ipod!!!???

Posted by upl on February 5, 2007 at 5:14 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know what the new Apple part number is for the updated iPod Radio Remote?  I want to make certain I’m purchasing the correct ones.

Posted by kdogg on February 5, 2007 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

theres no need for the part number, just look to see if it has the new headphones.

Posted by thewho61 on February 5, 2007 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Well, I’d need a part number if I’m buying it online.  I wouldn’t trust an image on the web.

Posted by kdogg on February 5, 2007 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

I still can’t listen to baseball or football games…where’s the AM!!!

Posted by IneedAMandFM on February 5, 2007 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

“There has to be a better way for Apple to give FM, doesn’t there?”

There are cheap $30 DAP’s at walgreens that have FM tuners built in. Apple is just being lazy or stupid by constantly leaving a radio out of ipods. As for AM,I don’t know what the deal is on that. I heard the next version of the Sandisk Sansa will have AM and FM. I may buy it and just use it for radio and podcasts and leave my shuffle for music. Not ideal but having an ipod with no radio at all isn’t ideal either.

Posted by WiPod on February 5, 2007 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

AM and FM - thats the same reason I want DAB radio - or AM - anything would do!  I need Five Live!!

Posted by upl on February 6, 2007 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Any one know if the new earbuds included are shorter in length like the previous generation?

Posted by Tony on February 6, 2007 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

I was just at Costco. They have the New Apple AV Kit and Apple Radio BOTH for only $100. Great deal.

Sucks cause I just got my AV kit in September for $89. :(

Posted by Ben on February 26, 2007 at 1:52 PM (PDT)