Apple updates iPod software for Camera Connector | iLounge News

Apple updates iPod software for Camera Connector

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, March 24, 2005
News Categories: iPod

Apple today quietly released iPod Updater 2005-03-23, which provides support for Apple’s new Camera Connector accessory. According to the release notes from the Mac OS X Software Update utility, the update includes iPod Software 1.1 for “iPods with color displays.” Interestingly, this is the first time that Apple has referred to “iPods with color displays” instead of “iPod photos.” Apple’s website does, however, say it is for “iPod photos.” The 28.9 MB download also offers updated slideshow transitions, which include: Push across, Push down, Wipe across, Wipe down, Wipe from center, random, and off.

« PodShirt offers iPod shuffle toting T-shirts

Tekkeon debuts myPower FM »

Comments

good, I hope they get rid of photo from the title and just let it be an iPod.

Posted by Edson346 on March 24, 2005 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

When someone downloads this update, will you please tell me if it is possible to just use the Belkin Media Reader to download and view the photos from a Compact Flash Card…

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on March 24, 2005 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

I loaded the iPod 1.1 update this afternoon about 4:30pm EST, and installed it on my 30GB iPod “with color display”.

After you install the update, it requires you to hook the iPod up to the AC power adapter for firmware reflash.
After this, I immediately tried a slideshow.
The slideshow was horrible. The transitions showed parts of other photos, some photos flashed on the screen for just split seconds then were transitioned to other photos, some of the transitions would only go half way (mainly the new “push” transition).

I reconnected my iPod to my Powerbook, and iTunes re-“optimized” all of my photos (3000+) and re-copied them to my iPod. After this was complete, the slideshow functioned correctly. I guess the new update requires all of the photos to be redownloaded to the iPod….

I am dissapointed they did not include the famous “cube” transition though…

Posted by mattcrane in Virginia, USA on March 24, 2005 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if this update has fixed the problem where one cannot show a slideshow on a TV if you have over a large amount of files on your ipod. I believe it is 15,000, but it may be more or less.

There are several strings on both ipodloung and Apple message boards where people have this problem, but have contacted Apple and they have basically denied that there is a problem or have said there’s nothing they can do about it.

If anyone has any info on this problem and if it has been, or will be, resolved, please post your thoughts. THanks!

Posted by Matt D. in Omaha on March 24, 2005 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

I installed the update, hooked it to AC power, and it works great.  I haven’t noticed the need to reoptimize etc.

The cube/droplet/mosaic transitions would be sweet, although they are probably a little processer intense for the iPod (??)

I never noticed before - in the Slideshow Music menu, you can choose Now Playing.  So I put on some music, then went to photos and started a slideshow without a break in the music.  I don’t think that was there before but could be wrong.  It was a good find none the less!

Posted by bobarito on March 24, 2005 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

Oop - yes it is optimizing all my 8K photos now.

Posted by bobarito on March 24, 2005 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

bobarito,

the “now playing” option during slideshows is new, and it was very much needed.

besides that, the new transitions, and the option to connect to a digital camera, what differences has anyone noticed?

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 24, 2005 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Niiiice find on the “Now Playing” music option.

I very much wish you could pick your TV aspect when viewing slideshows, as every TV in my house, car, and friends houses are 16:9. Doesn’t do me much good to watched stretched out pictures all the time, and the girls hate it because it makes them look fat….

Posted by mattcrane in Virginia, USA on March 24, 2005 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Interestingly enough, I just did the update and upon flashing the firmware discovered that all my pictures had disappeared! Not a big deal for me since I only had about 35 pictures, so reoptimizing and reloading them only took a few minutes. Anybody else experience this?

The new transitions look nice, but don’t really seem like that big a deal. I think the camera connection will be a bigger deal for those who choose to use it.

Posted by punxking in San Diego on March 24, 2005 at 7:50 PM (PDT)

There’s a hidden new option in the settings:

Compilations On/Off

Similar to the ‘Group compilations when browsing’ feature in iTunes. I always was hoping Apple would bring this functionality to the iPod… and now they did (for the iPod photo users).

Posted by encoder on March 24, 2005 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

I have just updated my 60GB Ipod Photo, and have noticed a number of aberrations when viewing photos and slideshows.  After the update, some of my photos appeared pixelated and totally distorted.  A soft reset seemed to cure this, but when running slideshows the left hand side of the photo appears slightly distorted and when transitioning between a landscape and portrait photo, a small amount of the left hand side of the previous photo is left on the screen!  Also, when changing the slideshow option to random transitions, it keeps transitioning the same photo again and again!  It also often leaves part of the previous photo on the display.  I would recommend not downloading this update for the moment, as there are obviously issues that Apple need to address.  I hope this hasn’t been rushed out without proper testing because apple were desperate to get the camera connector on sale!

Posted by phlash in UK on March 25, 2005 at 3:20 AM (PDT)

Now Playing!

That fixes an annoyance I hadn’t even thought about. No more ending the music I’m listening to just because I start a slideshow. And easier choosing of music: I can now just start what I want the usual way.

Workaround re widescreen TVs: the TV has a button to fix that, since lots of devices send 4:3 imagery.

Posted by Nagromme on March 25, 2005 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

phlash,

after you updated the firmware, did you reconnect the ipod to your computer and have itunes update the content?

i was having the same problem on mine at first, but then right when i docked my ipod it redid all of the pictures on it (reoptimized and copied) and now it works fine.

if you haven’t done that already, give that a try.  if you have and you are still having those problems, then it looks like we might have a real bug on our hands.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 25, 2005 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

re. Compilations feature:

When I choose this option the compilations appear in the top menu only…how do I get the compilations to appear as an option under the Music menu (by default they don’t appear there for me)

???

Posted by Tom Affinito on March 25, 2005 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

Looks like the re-optimisation is due to Apple reducing the jpg compression. I have not checked the file sizes but the same images look much less blocky on my 42” plasma. Or is it my imagination?

Posted by Stile on March 25, 2005 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

Tom, re: your Compilations question.

That’s very odd. I turned Compilation on and the Compilations item appears under Music, just like I would expect. I can go into Settings->Main Menu and turn it on there to make it appear in the top menu, but it’s still in the Music menu as well.

You might want to look under Settings->Main Menu and see if Compilations is turned on there. If so turn it off and it should disappear from the top menu,

BTW - big ups to Apple for sneaking this feature in. I use the Compilation browse feature in iTunes and have hoping to see it implemented on the Pod at some point. It was a pleasant surprise to turn on the iPod after updating to 1.1 this morning and find this option available!!

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 25, 2005 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

WOOHOO!!!

Belkin Media Reader users will be happy to know that with the 1.1 update, you can now browse the images imported as Rolls from your memory cards! What is also cool is that you now also get a preview of the image as it is downloading to the iPod (think Image Capture without cube rotate). After that, selecting the various film “Rolls” will take you to the collection of images to browse. I can’t tell if there is a preview icon being created, but it doesn’t seem to take any longer to display the downloaded full size images from the card, than it does to view the low-res images in my Photo Library.

I have been desparately hoping that Apple would implement this. I was so disappointed with the iPod photo when it first came out and didn’t have this functionality. I am also relieved since my camera has a propriatary USB connector and wouldn’t work with the Apple Camera Connector. I was concerned that this feature would only work with the ACC.

This update is also supposed to allow you to control slideshows with the iPod remote control, but I haven’t been able to test this yet.

Posted by PodDude on March 25, 2005 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

Did anybody see whether they have repaired the slideshow feature?
In the previous version, the ipod sometimes replaced slideshow photos with a random photo (on TV out). That pretty much made that feature useless. And that feature was the main point of the ipod photo. (I encountered this problem today. I hope I will see no more of it with the update in place)

Posted by Otherland on March 25, 2005 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Nagromme,

I know widescreen tv’s have the “aspect” button to correct it, but its always nice when a device outputs in native 16:9, and thats what I was hoping for. I also wish my S-video out on my Powerbook would have this option ... Maybe in the future.

Posted by mattcrane in Virginia, USA on March 25, 2005 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

re. Compilations feature:

What the hell is Apple thinking? How come there’s no support for other iPods??? One needs to have a color screen in order to see the compilations? Come on this is ridiculous. 4G users are waiting for an update for ages and all they do is update the new iPods!! And why is this feature not reported in the list of updates?

Posted by Bry Wakeland in Portugal on March 26, 2005 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >