Apple Video iPod demystified | iLounge News

Apple Video iPod demystified

“Rumors have been circulating around for months now about a secret Video iPod that Apple has in the works. Most all the news coming out on subject has been pure speculation mixed with anonymous sources who claim to offer some tantalizing details, but truth be told, we know little to nothing about Apple’s next-generation iPod. Nonetheless, the rumor mill and constant talk about such a device on various websites reemphasizes the point that people want an Apple branded Portable Media Player (a handheld device that stores and plays back digital music, video, and photos) in the iPod form factor. Are you listening Steve Jobs?”

« Windows: Weather for Me 1.7 released

RIAA sues 493 more music swappers »

Comments

“I would consider buying a video iPod, but mostly because I’m an iPod fan”

So if Apple brought out an iPod-branded toaster, you’d buy that?

Posted by What? on May 25, 2004 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

video iPod = dumb

iPod toaster = F’in cool!

Posted by mike on May 25, 2004 at 6:57 PM (CDT)

if they bring out an iPod video, will there be iTunes video store?

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on May 25, 2004 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

Did you all noticed that iTunes 4.5 already have link to trailer movie? So think hard, this next gen iPOD will be useful to watch some videoclip, not your entire DVD collection.

So it has some good features if use correctly for the right market.

Posted by RSA on May 25, 2004 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

A vPod would be great.

Some people don’t see the benefit of it… it would of course have a different use than an iPod.

Think of it as a Tivo in your pocket.  Hook it up to a TV if you want.  Take it on a plane… of course it’s a small screen, but it would work.

Better yet, go straight from iPod to PDA.  Why not include PDA functions, music, video and a phone.  I would really dig that.

How much would I use it?  I don’t know, but I bet I would get hooked on it and use it as much as I use my iPod.

vPod is the future…

Posted by Big Sid on May 25, 2004 at 8:37 PM (CDT)

AniPod with a high res color screen enabled to display photos and slideshows would be awesome.

Posted by Obadiah on May 25, 2004 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

I’d buy that, but i’d only put a few movies on it, since i’d need the rest of the space for music.

Posted by Yes! on May 25, 2004 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

did i hear iToaster….....

Posted by rivlinm on May 25, 2004 at 9:18 PM (CDT)

Sounds good, but video compression isn’t nearly as streamlined and straightforward as audio. No where near. No only do aspect ratios have to be dealt with, resolution will also be a big problem. In most cases, headphones do not take away from the music experience. However, a 3 inch screen will take away from a movie experience. Big time. An MP3/AAC player? Easy. No problem. A DIVX/.mov/.avi/everything else player? A little tougher. Sure, it’d be great to have portable video, but Apple make a product unless they can allow the user to “create” a perfectly product-compatible file (most likely proprietary). Imagine an “importing” option for a movie from a DVD. Think Apple will put themselves in that kind of a copyright fix?

Posted by Sam on May 25, 2004 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

A color screen would mean that I could preview my photos and delete the ones I wouldn’t need or brag to my friends about the great pictures I took

What’s the point? This functionality is already built into the majority of decent digital camera’s (and a lot of naff ones too!)

Posted by ipodx on May 26, 2004 at 2:07 AM (CDT)

“this next gen iPOD will be useful to watch some videoclip, not your entire DVD collection.”

That’s correct - I already have a video handheld (Archos)  and it’s great. No I rarely watch full-length movies on it (unless I am near a TV and can plug it in) but it does hold several hundred music videos, SNL and Daily Show clips, Simpsons moments, and so on. And of course lots of clips of Our Fearless President making speeches.

“Think of it as a Tivo in your pocket. Hook it up to a TV if you want. Take it on a plane… of course it’s a small screen, but it would work”

Yes I use it for this as well. I have Media Center set to record a bunch of different shows that then get automatically converted durig the day to DIVX. Then whenever I sync the device the latest shows get downloaded. That way I always have the latest news shows, which is a kind of a requirement for me.

Posted by vPod on May 26, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

Portable video player is a stupid idea. Leave that to Microsoft. Things that would improve/expand the iPod experience are better automotive integration and integration will mobile communication devices (bluetooth). Unfortunately, its not really up to Apple to take care of the first one. Alpine will be helping us out there though.

Posted by Biff on May 26, 2004 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

The Living Room iPod

Whoever said this was going to be a portable device? Maybe with all the talk about a “digital hub” and Jobs talking about “no video iPods” all these photo and video features are going to end up in an iPod not meant to be put in your pocket but instead sit on your DVD player, connected to your Mac/PC via a wireless connection. This would be far cheaper than a Win XP Media Center PC and compete with things like the SoundBridge.

Posted by xphilezz on May 26, 2004 at 10:00 AM (CDT)

I had a dell axim with a 400 mhz processor. video playback sucked. it was slow and choppy.  I like iPod because of its size.  if you add all this garbage (wifi, video out, toaster in) its going to defeat the purpose of iPod.  HOWEVER, a nice color tft screen would be great. and perhaps someway to input (type, enter phone numbers, etc.) on the go.  I would love album art displayed.  So if i had one request, it would be a color screen in which you could view pictures, and still decrease the size (but not this mini garbage!). 50gb iPod? WTF?!? Let me say that if anyone needs a 40gb ipod (and they use it for listening to music) youre full of sh*t.  Rid yourself of that crap you DONT listen to and never will.  my 20 gb ipod is only half full, and there is plenty of stuff on it that i probably will never listen to! WEED OUT THE SH*T! quit being frivolous. like driving a hummer down to your mailbox. anyway,  yeah, no need for video ipod.

Posted by Otsego_Undead in Washington State on May 26, 2004 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

Hasn’t apple been saying they never want to do a video ipod for the lonest time? Listening to music takes less attention than watching a video as they’ve been saying

Posted by Techni on May 26, 2004 at 4:59 PM (CDT)

as for bluetooth, bluetooth is dead.
the next ipod should have the same wifi the airport uses. and appear on your network like a normal pc/mac

Posted by Techni on May 26, 2004 at 5:01 PM (CDT)

Bluetooth is dead? What kind of crappy cell phone do YOU use?? You seem to have mistaken Bluetooth for a competitor to wifi. I’m not aware of many wifi headsets for cell phones. The bluetooth isn’t for surfing the web with your iPod. Thats even dumber than watching movies on your iPod. It’s for integration with cell phones! Just imagine the possibilities!

Posted by Biff on May 26, 2004 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

Hi guys,

All this talk about video and next gen functionality is all well and good but you can buy this stuff now..

I have a 40Gb iPod and an Archos AV340 and I use them both. The iPod is much better for music and portability but don’t knock the ability to have a video player in your bag or big pocket). I travel every week with work and spend a lot of time in hotels and the archos is great, I can rip stuff, take it with me and watch a DivX-ripped DVD or stuff recorded direct from tv. The archos is bigger, bulkier and not as fashionable but it does do some pretty impressive things.

Posted by Gingerninja on May 27, 2004 at 3:33 AM (CDT)

I love the idea of a video iPod, but forget about the 2 inch screen. Watching something like the Matrix or LOTR on that would be useless. What’s the point of Hollywood spending literaly 100s of millions of dollars, just so people can watch them on a screen where most of the special effects and grandeur (not to mention surround sound) would be hardly noticeable. However, if it had a video out socket similar to the ibook (built in preferably so you don’t need that adapter thing) now that would be sweet. The principle would be exactly the same as the current iPod. Instead of listening to music via the auido output socket to your headphones/home stereo, you’d be watching .mov/.mpeg/.avi whatever via the video output to your TV. I suppose a 2 inch screen would be a bonus I suppose. I have watched Telly on those pocket TVs you get at Radio Shack/Tandy’s and the quality’s not too bad I guess. Mind you, you have to sit it on your chest about 5 inches from your nose to fully appreciate it.

Posted by Go Johny Go Go Go Go on June 2, 2004 at 11:05 PM (CDT)

What happened to blue tooth ? What alternatives are there ? Geeze, I didn’t even get a chance to play with that technology. I hope the DVD recorder isn’t dead. Thats high on my xmas wish list to Santa right next to the next gen iPod (video or no video)

Posted by Bill on June 2, 2004 at 11:10 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2