Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card
In an interview with iLounge this morning, Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak answered several questions regarding the company’s decision to release the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition, and matching, specially designed iTunes Gift Card.
On why Apple became involved with (RED): According to Joswiak, the effort to create a Special Edition iPod for the cause was led “by both Bono and Bobby Shriver,” founders of (RED), who consider the fight against AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in Africa a “very important cause.” Proceeds from sales of (RED) branded products go directly to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, which focuses its investments in AIDS programs, especially for women and children. Bono has described AIDS as the “greatest health crisis in 600 years,” and has aided in efforts to convince several leading companies to sell special (PRODUCT) RED offerings.
On the gains to Apple and (RED) from the release of the new iPod nano: Joswiak noted that Apple’s and (RED)‘s goals are to create “sustaining revenue and increased awareness” through the (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition campaign, and Apple has “not set any end date” for the product. The company will produce as many Special Edition red nanos as consumers demand, with availability beginning today.
On additional Apple contributions to the (RED) effort: Joswiak noted that a (PRODUCT) RED iTunes Gift Card will be available in November. The card will be “designed to match the (PRODUCT) RED campaign,” and Apple will donate 10% of revenues from each gift card purchase to (PRODUCT) RED. It will be available in a $25 denomination.
The iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition comes in packaging almost identical to the standard iPod nano box, save for its red print and PRODUCT (RED) Special Edition markings. As with other Special Edition iPods, etching on the nano’s back indicates its special status.
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
- iPod nano 7G unboxing, comparison gallery posted
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple patent chief leaves company
- Apple: 1B TV episodes, 380m movies downloaded
- Apple TV Software Update 5.3 adds HBO Go, ESPN, more
- Report: Apple testing iOS 7 LinkedIn integration
- Alleged schematic leaks show 2013 iPhone designs
- Apps: Gangstar Vegas, Man of Steel, Photo Cube WiFi 3.59 + Play-Doh Create ABCs
- Alleged iPhone 5S leaks show display, logic board
- Apple TV beta reveals iTunes Radio support
- Apple’s Cue reveals more iBooks launch details
- Apple releases Commitment to Customer Privacy statement
- Logitech Harmony Smart Control
- Eton Rukus XL Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- PureGear PX260 + PX360 Extreme Protection System for iPhone 5
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Soundfreaq Sound Step Lightning SFQ-02L
- LifeProof Frē for iPad mini
- iBattz Mojo Refuel Removable Battery Case + Mojo Refuel Armor Kit for iPhone 5
- Geneva Lab Geneva Sound System Model S Wireless
- Bracketron Twist & Charge
- CruxCase CruxSkunk Keyboard Case for iPad 2, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of Apple TV 5.3
- iOS 7: Settings, Including Accessibility + Wallpaper
- iOS 7: Weather, Stocks, Calendar + Reminders
- iOS 7: Phone, FaceTime, Messages + Contacts
- iOS 7: iTunes Store, App Store, Calculator + Mail
- iOS 7: Music, Videos, Photos + Camera
- iOS 7: Clock, Game Center, Newsstand + Safari
- iOS 7: Siri + Voice Control
- iOS 7: Activation Lock + Find My iPhone
- iOS 7: Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight, Multitasking