Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card | iLounge News

Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card

image

In an interview with iLounge this morning, Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak answered several questions regarding the company’s decision to release the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition, and matching, specially designed iTunes Gift Card.

On why Apple became involved with (RED): According to Joswiak, the effort to create a Special Edition iPod for the cause was led “by both Bono and Bobby Shriver,” founders of (RED), who consider the fight against AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in Africa a “very important cause.” Proceeds from sales of (RED) branded products go directly to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, which focuses its investments in AIDS programs, especially for women and children. Bono has described AIDS as the “greatest health crisis in 600 years,” and has aided in efforts to convince several leading companies to sell special (PRODUCT) RED offerings.

On the gains to Apple and (RED) from the release of the new iPod nano: Joswiak noted that Apple’s and (RED)‘s goals are to create “sustaining revenue and increased awareness” through the (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition campaign, and Apple has “not set any end date” for the product. The company will produce as many Special Edition red nanos as consumers demand, with availability beginning today.

On additional Apple contributions to the (RED) effort: Joswiak noted that a (PRODUCT) RED iTunes Gift Card will be available in November. The card will be “designed to match the (PRODUCT) RED campaign,” and Apple will donate 10% of revenues from each gift card purchase to (PRODUCT) RED. It will be available in a $25 denomination.

The iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition comes in packaging almost identical to the standard iPod nano box, save for its red print and PRODUCT (RED) Special Edition markings. As with other Special Edition iPods, etching on the nano’s back indicates its special status.

image

« Mix: More RED, iPod tutorials, Sony Walkman, Music sales

Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition »

Comments

Quite a stunning colour, it’s a shame that Apple doesn’t do nanos in more colours - though I can understand why they don’t (increased manufacturing & logistics costs…)

Still, no 8gig colour version = no sale here :(

Posted by TB on October 13, 2006 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

Although it’s undoubtedly better than nothing, I think a $10 donation from the purchase of this extremely marked-up ipod product is down right pitiful.  For such a worthy cause, I would love to see Apple step up and donate 1/3 at least. The only good part of this is that there is no end date to the promotion.  All that said, what a beautiful color!

Posted by mbj1979 on October 13, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

I guess Apple does not really care about helping the fight for AIDS as they are only selling this product on line and not through there reseller chain where they could sell many more iPod’s and in turn make much more money for AIDS in Africa.

Posted by Trevor Robertson on October 13, 2006 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Had Apple been smarter they would have made a special RED case to go with this product.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Right, they’re only selling this online… That’s why Bono and Oprah went downtown and picked up a few RED nanos from the physical Apple Store.

Posted by A-Jay on October 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

10$ are not enough, in fact. But we have to consider that Jobs is joining to this world saviors club. And what can I say about the RED…. awsome!!!

Posted by Thiago Arantes on October 13, 2006 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

All you Economics 101 dropouts need to remember Steve does NOT get the whole $199 in the first place- some of that goes to the retailer, wholesaler, and others in the retail chain.
What I am waiting for is Bono to set aside 10% of HIS concert and record earnings, then he may be my hero—so far all he does is strongarm others into sending THEIR money!Gates, Ford, Jobs, etc.where is Bono’s cash?

Posted by cyrus on October 13, 2006 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

The red gift card will be great for the holidays. Just think: if someone says “i only want donations this year” just give them a red gift card, and then they get the best of both worlds. And for all you detractors out there, remember that if you are buying something anyway, if some of the money goes to a good cause, then its good. Example: if i buy an iPod, then no money is donated. If i buy an iPod red instead, then $10 is donated, therefore it has benefit.

Posted by anti-luddite on October 13, 2006 at 2:26 PM (PDT)

Trev,

Have you considered maybe checking your facts before you take a cheap shot at people who are doing far more to fight AIDS than you ever will?

It isn’t just available on line, it’s heading for the stores just like the U2 special edition iPod did.

-jcr

Posted by John C. Randolph on October 13, 2006 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

Its in the stores even in little places like Indianapolis.

Just picked mine up tonight.  I had been trying to convince myself I needed an 80GB pod for a while and couldn’t bring myself to buying a 30GB as my collection is much bigger but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money.  As such, 4 / 8 / 30…doesn’t matter…I have to manage my music anyways.  So the release of the red one made things a LOT easier.

Sadly, iTunes shows mine as a silver iPod and not in the red…hopefully a software update fixes this smile

Posted by clifyt on October 13, 2006 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Of primary concern to me is will it be available in Australia? It’s not on the Apple Australia front page and not in the store. I’d hate to think that we couldn’t get it.

Posted by Japester on October 13, 2006 at 11:00 PM (PDT)

can someone explain all this (PRODUCT) to me, it looks like placeholders but they now pop up in almost every message. I actually thought Apple screwed up their official communication..

Posted by christina on October 14, 2006 at 2:30 AM (PDT)

Cyrus - Bono gives a lot more to the project than money… he gives his time and his name.  Without those, the project wouldn’t even be off the ground.  And I bet he gives money too, but he doesn’t need to brag about it like the other guys you mentioned.

By the way, 100% of the royalties from the song “One” have gone to AIDS charities for over a decade now.  I’m going to guess that amounts to a lot.

For those that say $10 isn’t a lot… considering marketing, r&d, design, and such, they probably aren’t making a TON on each iPod.  If you don’t think so, then consider that the Zune is projected to lose money over the next year.  That $10 is a lot if you sell a million iPods.

Posted by narfzot on October 14, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Hey Trevor and mbj1979… do you guys donate 20% of all YOUR profits to charity? That’s what I thought.

(And yes… $10 is roughly 20% of what Apple actually profits from the $199 Nano.)

Everyone’s love of complaining is making me sick. Apple, Gap, Converse, etc. are trying to make a difference here. Maybe you should focus your b*tching… i mean… “criticisms” on Microsoft, Sony, Best Buy or any other major corporation that ISN’T participating.

Posted by thelottery on October 17, 2006 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

Christina, and all of you who wish to learn more about (PRODUCT) Red, a very worthy cause, you should check out http://www.joinred.com/manifesto.asp and read the manifesto yourselves.

Posted by tessie on October 17, 2006 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Trev, I think Bono’s done some good stuff but I think I hear where you’re coming from.

To me this whole RED thing is a really sobering look into the heart of the wealthy of the world.  How many people are going to go out and buy a RED iPod because they think they’re doing a good deed?  I’ll bet you a lot of people will, actually.  For the same reason people went bizerk to buy the pink Motorola RAZR—it’s a statement, and people love to make statements.

BUT

how many people are going to go out and buy a Red iPod or a Red RAZR when they already have a perfectly good working iPod or cell phone already?  I’ve read so many comments on so many sites that say “I get an iPod and the kids in Africa benefit” and things of that nature.  WELL, what if you kept your perfectly good iPod you already have—made by Apple, the company who prides itself in selling computers that don’t go obsoletely nearly as fast as a PC.  There are people who have 1st gen. iPods and they still work (may need a battery change) but they STILL WORK.  My last cell phone—I had it for 3 years—that’s a record for most people.  ...and had I stayed with the company it was with, it still would have been good.

Take that WHOLE $200 you didn’t need to spend on the iPod and send it to fight the AIDS pandemic.  Don’t use the $10 donation as an excuse to get the latest trend.  If you don’t have an iPod and you were planning on buying one, fine, go for the RED one, but don’t upgrade your perfectly good iPod when you could send that whole check to RED.

Oprah went into the Apple store in Chicago last week and bought 10 Red Nanos in a publicity stunt.  That’s $2000.00 (plus tax).  Oprah, SEND THE $2000.00 directly to Africa!!  Do you realize for Apple to raise $2000 @ $10 per iPod, they have to sell 200 ipods.  200!!

oh and don’t get me started on the GAP (where I shop from primarily by the way - it’s disheartened me)—the RED PARKA?  WHO WEARS A RED PARKA?

Posted by Jeff on November 3, 2006 at 9:58 AM (PDT)