Apple VP explains (PRODUCT) RED iPod and iTunes Gift Card
In an interview with iLounge this morning, Apple Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing Greg Joswiak answered several questions regarding the company’s decision to release the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition, and matching, specially designed iTunes Gift Card.
On why Apple became involved with (RED): According to Joswiak, the effort to create a Special Edition iPod for the cause was led “by both Bono and Bobby Shriver,” founders of (RED), who consider the fight against AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in Africa a “very important cause.” Proceeds from sales of (RED) branded products go directly to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, which focuses its investments in AIDS programs, especially for women and children. Bono has described AIDS as the “greatest health crisis in 600 years,” and has aided in efforts to convince several leading companies to sell special (PRODUCT) RED offerings.
On the gains to Apple and (RED) from the release of the new iPod nano: Joswiak noted that Apple’s and (RED)‘s goals are to create “sustaining revenue and increased awareness” through the (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition campaign, and Apple has “not set any end date” for the product. The company will produce as many Special Edition red nanos as consumers demand, with availability beginning today.
On additional Apple contributions to the (RED) effort: Joswiak noted that a (PRODUCT) RED iTunes Gift Card will be available in November. The card will be “designed to match the (PRODUCT) RED campaign,” and Apple will donate 10% of revenues from each gift card purchase to (PRODUCT) RED. It will be available in a $25 denomination.
The iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition comes in packaging almost identical to the standard iPod nano box, save for its red print and PRODUCT (RED) Special Edition markings. As with other Special Edition iPods, etching on the nano’s back indicates its special status.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards