Apple warns of counterfeit iPods | iLounge News

Apple warns of counterfeit iPods

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, April 19, 2006
News Categories: iPod

image

Apple has reportedly begun notifying its service partners of illegally manufactured digital audio players designed to closely resemble iPods. The counterfeit devices, usually imitations of the iPod nano and iPod shuffle, have strikingly similar designs but lack features such as a dock connector, functioning click wheel, and Apple operating system. Apple said the counterfeit iPods can be sold in very Apple-like product packaging and sometimes even come stamped with Apple logos and valid Apple serial numbers.

image

« Research firm: Apple to become MVNO, iPhone ‘inevitable’

General Mills launches iTunes song giveaway »

Comments

I own one of the “fake” ones as well.  It is a 2gb     that cast $80 US delivered.  I has a color screen, plays movies, has a radio, shows pictures, records the radio, and will play every audio format I can throw at it.  Oh did I mention it also has the ability to link a lyrics text page to any song playing.  It did not come in any type of packaging that had an apple logo.  It came in what looked like an eyeglass case.  It came with a Usb 2.0 cable and an AC charger. All of which fit in this eyeglass case. Did my Nano come with anything other than earbuds a CD, and a cheap plastic dock adapter? No.

The player came with sofware for converting mpeg movies to its format.  Small movies I took on my canon digital camera play great.

Cons: The menu is no where near the class of Apple’s.  Battery life is only 5 hours.  There is no firmware support of any kind. The manual is weak, but my 11 year old has already figured it out.  I gave this item to my son as I was not willing to fork over $190 for the equivalent in an ipod that would scratch to heck without an additoinal protective case.  Oh and of course I would have to buy an ac adapter as well.

Since the item is similar in design to the Nano I can understand Apple’s concern over protecting its product look and feel.  Since mine was not marketed as an Apple product I see no harm.  I knew what I was buying.

The significant differences in functionality , options, durability no scratches without a case, beg the question as to whether this is truly being sold as a nano fake. The one I purchased simply stated it was a 2gb color mp4 player.

I own a 5g ipod and a 4gb nano.  Do I feel these items are overpriced? Absolutely.  I purchased this knock off because it served the purpose I wanted it to, it was not excessively priced, and so far it has held up under the constant use of my 11 year old.  With 70+ percent of the mp3 player market share, Apple should welcome competition, maybe buy a few of these “fakes” and see how they can place all those additional opitons into a player that is actually slightly smaller than a Nano.  My 0.02 worth.

Posted by Hoxie on April 22, 2006 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

I think the black looks cooler… the whole “warping” thing really adds some extra flair, no? LOL.

Posted by Tristan on April 22, 2006 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Wow, so much hate for people who don’t exactly know what ipods are.

I’m guessing people who sell their ipods really inexpensively on auctions are probably selling these things.

Hoxie had really good things to say, I mean I thought the first comments were funny till they became racist.  I did get both of my ipods from Shanghai, you know because I wanted them laser engraved.

I love my 60 gig ipod video.  But the more competition there will be, the better the products in the future will be.

So when I start driving my hybrid car, I can sport the ipod 8th gen which doubles as my cellphone and universal entertainment device.

Posted by Earl on April 22, 2006 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

LOL my aunt bought one of those in China for 30$ and she gave it to me - of course I already have a real nano; it was in chinese and it was a real pain in the butt to put it in english. FM radio doesn’t work…nor AM radio for that matter. Max resolution for the video is 96x65, although the screen is 128x128, the lcd is real crappy, a bit like the first color nokia phones. It doesn’t work as a music player cuz the interface is horrible and when you press the forward button, the play/pause is also pressed so it stops. Moreover, the headphone jack is a MicroJack so only the bundled headphones work with it. (they are made to resemble the Apple ones…right)
I thought of using it as a secondary hard drive to store movies, cuz it has 4GB of flash memory inside (really, not joking) BUT any large file (larger than 10MB) you store in it will be corrupted. For ever.

HOWEVER there is a draw! It came with 1 song inside: Britney Spears’ “I’m A Slave 4 U”!!!!. So I guess it’s worth the 30 bucks it cost.

Things that work: - “Text” function, useful to read e-books (horrible unaliased yellow font, though)
- Audio recording, with embedded mic
- er..nothing else really. You can listen to music, but you are stuck with bundled phones and you can’s skip or choose tracks

Posted by Belard on June 22, 2006 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

you can tell which one i conterfit ipod if some one bought one of the conterfit ipod they would be stupid. it would be so easy to tell which one is counterfit.

Posted by rockstartye on June 27, 2007 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

You can not tell difference in the mp3 players except it doesnt sync with itunes. Also the same gear works in fact to the point where since i own both i had to use my other mp3 players cable to get the ipod charged up because the one that came with it was defective

Posted by LDS on January 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

the White one is apples because you can see that the white ones screen is smaller and apple sells ipods with the white ones screen size that proves that is the real one, and plus the white one is thicker and apple ipods are thicker.

Posted by DeAndra on January 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

[The black one is the real one. It’s so obvious. I’m looking at mine right now and it looks just like the black one.

Posted by ort on April 19, 2006 at 9:04 AM (PDT)]
hey ort sorry but you i pod must be fake then i pods dont have a vol button and they arent clickey they are slidey you slide you finger round for increasing volume!

Posted by numa on March 17, 2008 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

The black one is fake if you look closely at the black one you can see that is has no place for the earphones and no dock connector plus weIrDz is right ipod’s don’t have buttons for the volume and another thing is the screen the black one looks cheap.

Posted by vbandjh on March 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM (PDT)

lol the black one is fake it looks crap and the screen looks crap and its more veritcal and it has a Play/Pause in center when its suppose to be blank and it has a vol button and the wheel is crap and the paint is crap

Posted by Philip on April 2, 2008 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

Hahaha this is hilarious
Dude, it’s an iPod !
(well one of them atleast)
No one’s freaking being racist..

Get over yourselves.

Posted by AlexMCain on April 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

its the white one u dunces
hav u ever seen an ipod before?

Posted by dvavu iegafig on April 21, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

U guys are idiots, especially ther one who said the white one is fake because it has no volume button. ITS NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE ONE, you just rotate your finger clockwise on it and the volume goes up. Your stupid if you didnt know the Black one is FAKE.

Posted by Christian #80 on September 2, 2008 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3