Apple warns of static shock from iPod earphones | iLounge News

Apple warns of static shock from iPod earphones

Apple has posted a new support document warning iPhone and iPod users of possible shock from their earbuds. Titled “Apple Earbuds and static electricity,” the article states that “it’s possible to receive a small and quick electrical (static) shock from your earbuds while listening to iPod or iPhone.” The article goes on to offer a basic description of static electricity, noting that the “condition is not limited to Apple hardware and static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds.” Finally, it suggests tips—such as keeping the device out of the wind, not rubbing it against certain materials, using anti-static hand lotion, and using a humidifier to raise the moisture content of the air—for users to try and reduce the build-up of static electricity that can lead to being shocked.

« Secret features pose threat to App Store rules

RoamBi converts data to interactive iPhone visuals »

Comments

I’ve got the Apple in-ear headphones (the old ones, without the remote), and every time I’m wearing a specific couple of pairs of shorts, it shocks me whenever I walk. I’d just assumed it was the material of the pants, didn’t realize it was actually a widespread problem.

Posted by Nik on May 19, 2009 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

This is like warning us that it sometimes rains. I figured this out the first winter after I got an iPod in 2004.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on May 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

This of course brings to mind…..

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Posted by Patrick on May 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Glad I got a pair of Sennheiser’s.

Posted by Mike on May 21, 2009 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

yah, thats true. even if the earphones plugged into a computer you will get shocked. tried tested and true.

Posted by philo on May 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM (PDT)

Yes…this is true, I just received static shock from my Sennheiser earphone… not sure whether I need to buy a new earphone or not…hm…what do you think?

Should I buy the full-rubber earphone now?

Posted by jo on July 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

the earphones of the ipod touch i have caused a static shock in my ears twice arent they supposed to be safe it was kind of painful

Posted by sarah alaeddine on December 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM (PDT)