Apple: We will not distribute pornographic apps
Following yesterday’s report of an iPhone app touting nudity as one of its selling points, Apple has released a statement saying it will not distribute such applications. Hottest Girls from developer Allen Leung was pulled from the store yesterday afternoon following widespread publicity of the app’s new adult content; the developer blamed the app’s disappearance on heavy server loads. “The server usage is extremely high because of the popularity of this app. Thus, by not distributing the app, we can prevent our servers from crashing… Yes, the topless images will still be there when it is sold again,” said a statement on Leung’s website. It appears, however, that Apple may have had a hand in its removal, and will likely not allow the application back on the App Store in its current form.
“Apple will not distribute applications that contain inappropriate content, such as pornography,” Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr told CNN. “The developer of this application added inappropriate content directly from their server after the application had been approved and distributed, and after the developer had subsequently been asked to remove some offensive content. This was a direct violation of the terms of the iPhone Developer Program. The application is no longer available on the App Store.” Despite the strong statement from Apple, the App Store listing for Hottest Girls showed the app as being rated 17+ for “Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity,” suggesting the company was prepared to allow apps with adult content onto the store.
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?