Apple working on Video iPods? | iLounge News

Apple working on Video iPods?

“One of the best things about prognostication is the “I told you so” satisfaction of a successful forecast, so over the past five years, I’ve made sure to point out all of my dead-on predictions. This time, however, I’m admitting to an apparently incorrect hunch. I thought that Apple would forgo an iPod portable video player (PVP), but the company is reportedly working on one. [...]

Last month, the careers page of Apple’s Web site advertised an opening for a video iPod developer. The listing has disappeared, but in this New York Times interview, Jobs mentions that someone in the company’s labs could be working on such a device. He also talks about some of the same doubts and challenges that I’m discussing here, so for the record, my prediction might still come true.”

« iPod chip maker PortalPlayer behind the spotlight

Pepsi iTunes promo: Analyst says Apple will sell “5-10 million songs per week by summer” »

Comments

I think it’s too early for a video iPod.  Remember the tv tuner for Sega’s GameGear?  Yeah, way too ahead of it’s time.

Posted by Schiano on January 29, 2004 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

if a video ipod comes out i will buy, but will it support divx?

Posted by dave on January 29, 2004 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

A video iPod will come out in time for the Christmas season.

Personal video players are allreasy on the market, the Archo 300 and panasonics lyra are a few examples.

Yeah theres no legal way of putting content from DVDs or Tv on them but they will still be able to take off just like MP3 players did.

People are allready using Kazza and other P2P networks to download episodes of The OC, scrubs, family guy and even whole movies. So early adopters of a video iPod would get content the “old fashion way” with P2P untill a legal video on demand version of iTunes is released.

Apple has the potential to become a big player in media if they play their cards right.

Posted by ariza910 on January 29, 2004 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand why anyone would want to watch a movie on a 3” screen.  My TV is 13” and I can’t stand watching movies on it.

Posted by drewmcd24 on January 29, 2004 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

...here we go again.  More video iPod rumors.  If I want to listen to music on the go then I use my iPod. Why? Because it offers the best experience.  If I want to watch a movie on the go, then I use my Notebook.  Why, because it offers the best experience.  I really hate it when they try to cram a bunch of useless features together on one device.  Why do you think new PDA sales are at an all time low?  Because the average consumer uses their PDA to manage their schedules and store their contacts! Not to take pictures and/or surf the internet on a tiny little screen.  Sorry, but watching a movie on a 3” screen has no appeal.

Posted by jcs on January 29, 2004 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

It hold tremendous appeal to me.  I would buy one if done right.

Posted by stark23x on January 29, 2004 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

The CNET article is a laugh, I have to admit. It looks like our friend Eliot was looking for a story in all the wrong places. An LCD projector attachment? What exactly is the point of having a portable device when you need 1) a projection surface, 2) darkness, and 3) a power supply the size of a suitcase? Keep in mind that this is the same “journalist” who gave us this gem:

Posted by crush on January 29, 2004 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

The point of a video iPod isn’t watching movies on the 3” screen.  The point is external attatchments.  You’ll take it to your friend’s house and plug it into their TV.  You’ll buy a 7” monitor for your car for the kids in the backseat.  You’ll hook it up to the projector in the living room of your house.  You’ll hook it up to special glasses (well, eventually) on an airplane.

Posted by people are dumb on January 29, 2004 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Okay, heres what I’m thinking.

NO. I really like Apple, but this, i refuse to support. Why do i need a portable video player? I wouldn’t even be able to use it most places anyways….

Posted by alan on January 29, 2004 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

My 12in iBook is one hell of a portable video player.

Posted by Schiano on January 29, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

WHy are people so stuck on movies. People will fill their PVPs with movies yeah sure, but also with short clips: music videos, paris hilton quickies, stupid sight gags.

I know because that’s what my Archos is already filled with.

Posted by music videos on January 29, 2004 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

I’m not trying to be an ### here, I’m just really curious, but when do you watch videos (movies, or short clips) through your Archos?

Posted by Schiano on January 29, 2004 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

I’m suprised and pleased that nobody has been saying how RCA Lyra and that Archos thing have been on the market for a long time now.

If these players are truly so great, then that begs the question: how come iPod is the most popular, and these devices still relatively unheard of?

Posted by Sraphim on January 29, 2004 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

Sraphim, not everyone has the money and marketing power to advertise their product everywhere and anywhere.

Posted by Schiano on January 29, 2004 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

There were mp3 players years before the iPod - they were mostly bought by early adopters. Apple was one of the first to market them to the great unwashed, techno illiterate masses. That of course is one reason why the iPod is so easy to use - it is not burdened down by extra features of choices and rarely challenges its users with hostile interfaces or excess UI.

I expect it’s a similar thing with PVPs. They’ve been out for a couple of years. The first ones, Archos I believe, were not easy to use and had very small screens. I think for PVPs the screen is like disk size for mp3 players. When screens were 1.5”, nobody except techno nerds cared. It’s curently only the very early adopters who have PVPs.

Now the current 2nd-generation PVPs at last have decent, rapid TFT LCDs measuring 3-4”. They are really good to look at. But they are still a chore to use and beyond what most casual users would expect.

So Apple is probably going to jump in - bulk up iMovie and iPhoto to work flawlessly and idiot-proof with the video iPod, then release them in one go. Without iTunes, the iPod wouldn’t really work very well, after all. Same thing with a planned video iPod.

I think Apple needs to hurry. Creative showed their WIndows-based PVP at CES and it got rave reviews. Apparently its UI is pretty simple - easier than the Archos and much quicker than the Lyra. I have no doubt, though,that when Apple gets around to releasing its video solution it will be trivially easy to use and surprisingly impressive.

It’s a question of timing - Apple wants to milk the current mini iPod for all its worth, I give it 6 months or so. Bringing out a video-enabled iPod will put downward price pressure on their whole line, so they won’t do it until sales start flagging again.

Posted by buggles on January 29, 2004 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

I am all for the idea. Many times I’ll be using my iPod & would like to watch a movie while waiting at the DMV or in the car. If u don’t like it, don’t get it. That said, Apple needs to still support the old simple iPod as well as the new video iPod. I would buy it if they keep it under the $600 price mark.

Posted by Lqv2015 on January 29, 2004 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

I bought an iPod so that I can listen to my whole music collection in the car, during the commute on my bike, while walking, etc.  Two things implied by this; (1) I can concentrate on other things, and; (2) I enjoy listening to the same songs ad infinitum.
Anyone with sense will understand, with reference to the points above, that a portable movie player is something that I can quite happily live without.
LCD colour screens use a lot of power.  Given the battery life of the iPod, you will only be able to watch the first half your favourite film.  But, you won’t care, because you have already seen it X amount of times.

Posted by Cker in Northern Ireland on January 30, 2004 at 4:22 AM (PDT)

Yawn. Boring!

I will watch my television and movies on my 36” TV thank you very much. I have no need to watch TV/Movies all the time. I have a Gameboy Advance SP for my video needs on the go.

Posted by Dr_Cogent on January 30, 2004 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

A video iPod - I wouldn’t buy it.
This rumor doesn’t really fit Apple - they are known for good-qualitiy devices, what would a small videoPod provide, that a PDA or a notebook wouldn’t?
I guess they have someone working on it in their labs, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they gonna sell it.

Posted by Obi-Lan on January 30, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

First, I’m a filmmaker and I think it’s a fantastic idea to have a video iPod I can show people trailers or clips from films of mine.  It’d be a lot better than lugging demo video cds around.  Additionally I already use my iPod to show people clips of music I create for movies anyway.

Secondly, Apple is big on its iLife suite, with Garage Band filling in the “consumer level audio production” corner, so it’s a great idea to have a portable device that is basically “iLife to go.” In other words you’ve got your music from iTunes and Garage Band, your iPhoto library, and home movies that were created in iMovie.  I don’t quite know how iDVD would fit into the picture, but hey, it’s a start smile

Posted by Dave on January 30, 2004 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >