Apple working on Video iPods? | iLounge News

Apple working on Video iPods?

“One of the best things about prognostication is the “I told you so” satisfaction of a successful forecast, so over the past five years, I’ve made sure to point out all of my dead-on predictions. This time, however, I’m admitting to an apparently incorrect hunch. I thought that Apple would forgo an iPod portable video player (PVP), but the company is reportedly working on one. [...]

Last month, the careers page of Apple’s Web site advertised an opening for a video iPod developer. The listing has disappeared, but in this New York Times interview, Jobs mentions that someone in the company’s labs could be working on such a device. He also talks about some of the same doubts and challenges that I’m discussing here, so for the record, my prediction might still come true.”

« iPod chip maker PortalPlayer behind the spotlight

Pepsi iTunes promo: Analyst says Apple will sell “5-10 million songs per week by summer” »

Comments

Personal Video Players = useless.

The market is going to flood with useless pieces of electronic garbage.

Listening to music on a commute is one thing. But to watch a movie or TV show on a 3 inch screen?

IMHO early adopters and frequent flyers are going to snatch this up. Other than that its a product that really doesn’t have a market unless you’re a kid who wants to have the most toys.

Posted by RegalBegal in New England on January 30, 2004 at 6:52 AM (CST)

Personal Video players are probably some of the lamest pieces of technology and a total waste of money… I am willing to bet that they will NOT get past the “wow-like-totally-coooool” stage, because they don’t satisfy a NEED and let’s face it, it is a bit dorky to watch ANYTHING on a 3” screen. If you want portability for movies and stuff, get a 12” powerbook or ibook and be done with it… I am really hoping they will not come out with this…

Posted by acg69 in Greece on January 30, 2004 at 7:11 AM (CST)

Oh, and Dave… “lugging demo video cds around”? C’mon… I don’t think that the choice of verb is quite right here given the size, mass and volume of said cds… I think we are getting a little bit out of hand with technology and we are inclined to buy any stupid thing they produce, just because it’s there. Let’s face it, as RegalBegal said, there’s no market for these gizmos, cool as they may look at first sight.

Posted by acg69 in Greece on January 30, 2004 at 7:16 AM (CST)

If you could hook it up to your TV and use it as a portable dvr to take programs to other tv’s in your house, on vacation or watch in the car, plane etc I think it would have great apeal.  Why buy a tivo when you can have portable tivo?

Posted by cgar on January 30, 2004 at 8:01 AM (CST)

I think that an Apple Video iPod is a great idea.

Unfortunately, if the past is any indication, the new device will have a battery that only lasts an hour and a half (though the device will be the smallest pVp on the market), will only support the quicktime video codec (forget about ever using it to view AVI’s), and it will probably cost $800-$1k.

and of course, the Apple fanatics will snap them up faster than Apple can produce them, and continue to flame anyone daring to point out the device’s defects! <grin>

Posted by IDSmoker on January 30, 2004 at 8:56 AM (CST)

Well I think it will be something that u can use with your digital camera/digital vido camera this would have a much larger apeal .If I need to watch DVD’s on the go i use my powerbook but if i coulld use my vPod to capture digital video or as a backup for my digital camera that would be great .Nikon has just anounced the cool walker MSV 01 check it out @http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012802nikoncoolwalker.asp i think Apple might well do something like this.

Posted by Jon Lewis on January 30, 2004 at 9:08 AM (CST)

TiVO to portable video player sounds great to my wife and her 3hr train commute.

Posted by Scott Benner on January 30, 2004 at 9:16 AM (CST)

I use ReplayTV to capture TV, then virtualdub to cut it into clips, then upload it to the Archos. People who are knocking video on the go, why don’t you try it first? Don’t be so closed minded. If someone had told you four years ago that people would pay $400-$500 for a “glorified walkman” would you have been the same people who would have been saying “that’s stupid”? Just as having so much music available makes the iPod more than just a glorified walkman and a bunch of tapes, so too does having lots of video make a PVP more than just a bundle of DVDs.

Video on the go makes a dull commute worth it for me - and I like being able to watch some best clips from the Daily Show over and over. I also have Howard Dean’s yell stored for endless playback!

I am not alone in liking PVPs.

Posted by music videos on January 30, 2004 at 10:07 AM (CST)

And for the witty guy with the 36” TV - I am glad you find your tools pleasurably enormous, but how easy is that to take on the train?

My music sounds way better from my Denon system, but it’s hardly what you would call portable. That’s why I have an iPod.

I think the early poster is right - Apple won’t touch this until they can make the video processing really easy to do.

And most Macs lack PVRs or TV Tuner cards, but these are common and cheap on PCs. It would be weird for Aple to release a video iPod that worked best with Windows machines. So I think Apple will release some firewire/USB TV encoder add-on for the Mac first. That would let Mac people grab content.

Posted by music videos on January 30, 2004 at 10:14 AM (CST)

people in the mac community critizized the iPod when it forst came out so I expect no diffrent with the Video iPod.

All of you people are comparing using video iPod to the current situations you use a music iPod. of course your not going to go for a jog and watch a movie but think about being on a tred mill and watching last nights episode of your favorit show, you could have recorded the show with El GATOS eye tv and put it on your video ipod.

Posted by ariza910 on January 30, 2004 at 1:07 PM (CST)

But the real killer will be the add ons. Archos allready sells an add on 3 megapixle camera.

a digital camera add on and a video camera add on will make a video iPod sell like crazy.

Posted by ariza910 on January 30, 2004 at 1:09 PM (CST)

Unless I can rip my DVDs to load into the vidipod I would have NO use for a Vid Ipod

Posted by bababooey on January 30, 2004 at 2:52 PM (CST)

I rip all my Netflix DVDs, convert them to DIVX or MOV, and watch them on my Mac. If I had one of these Archos things no doubt I could watch them on it. No doubt I will be able to watch them on this “vidpod”.

Ripping DVDs is trivially easy.

Is it just me or does “vidpod” sound like some kind of sexually transmitted disease?

Posted by DVDs on January 30, 2004 at 3:18 PM (CST)

The market is ready for & the technology is available to provide consumers with a product like “iSlate”. Of course only Apple could really do it right, although several other companies are attempting to create some variation of this device. Unfortunately many are too focused on video playback only, & not creating a true multi-function device that could be used at home, at the office, or on the road. This product would intregrate well into the “Digital Lifestyle” philosophy & compliment existing Apple product. I would provide a screen large enough to actually watch video & view photos, while still being small enough to be portable. Granted, you can not but a device the size of a DVD case in your pocket, but something doesn’t have to fit in a pocket to be portable. This device could be used in so many different situations that if would have broad appeal in the market. I only pray that Apple is working on such a device & will release it in 2004. They have an opportunity to impact the industry with the iSlate & iVideo media Store as much as the iPod & iTMS will.

iSlate

New Apple mini-tablet

Posted by jocaab on January 30, 2004 at 4:19 PM (CST)

Additional specs for the “oSlate”

USB 2.0

Posted by jocaab on January 30, 2004 at 4:47 PM (CST)

Woah calm down there jocaab it sounds like you’re salivating.

I don’t think the screen needs to be 20cm/8” wide. Otherwise you might as well use a tablet PC or an iBook. Actually, except for the screen and the bluetooth, you’ver described one of the $700 Archos machines quite closely. And if they sell them for $700, imagine how much Apple would charge for a fancier version. You might as well just get a notebook!

There are some new, double-pixel-density LCDs out. IBM have some advance models. For the same size as current PVP screens, you get 4 times the resolution. That’s a good solution, but it may take a couple of years.

Posted by lots of pixels on January 30, 2004 at 5:45 PM (CST)

Dear “Lots of Pixels”,

With all due respect, I believe you missed my point. The idea is not to see how much visual information one can cram into a small space (3” to 4” screens). The idea is to create a device that is a reasonable compromise between portability & “acceptable or pleasurable” viewing for multiple applications.

Create a device that is bigger that the largest PDA or Archos type device, yet smaller than the average notebook or tablet computer. Imagine if you will, holding a device (about the size of a DVD case that you would get from Blockbuster Video) away from you anywhere from 12” to 18”. Obviously a 4” screen would be inadequate, but a 7” to 9” diagonal widescreen would be more than acceptable. It could still be small enough to fit in a stack of books, a briefcase, a large purse, of any number of other carrying cases. Something that could be viewed in an office, at home, on an airplane, or even in the backseat of a car.

Although a 4 lb, 12” notebook computer displays video beautifully (I use one everyday), it is way to big for the situations I have described. Beyond the innumerable business applications it could fulfill, it could display video on a screen that is much bigger than an Archos, & yet smaller than a notebook computer.

From a strictly video perspective, a large part of its success would hinge upon Apple’s ability to distribute video clips through an online store much like iTMS. This store could provide educational content, business content, news content, & entertainment content beyond just movies. To be truly successful, it must integrate into Apple’s “Digital Lifestyle” strategy, & be truly portable (ubiquitous wireless connectivity & good battery life).

Posted by jocaab on January 30, 2004 at 9:11 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2