‘AppleBerry’ device on the way? | iLounge News

‘AppleBerry’ device on the way?

image

A partnership between Apple and BlackBerry maker Research in Motion could be formed soon, according to Peter Misek, an analyst with Canaccord Capital. Misek said the two companies might jointly develop a new “AppleBerry” device that would combine iPod features with RIM’s wireless technology, or RIM might begin offering iTunes on future BlackBerry devices. Misek, who last year accurately predicted a partnership between RIM and Intel, also said that senior executives at Intel have recommended that Apple work with RIM.

« Major league baseball players discuss iPod use

Microsoft: No iPod rival in the works »

Comments

YEESSSSSS!!!!!

Posted by iScott on June 5, 2006 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

hmmmmm… Do apples and berries mix well?

Posted by 3rdEye on June 5, 2006 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Of course - never had Apple and Blackberry Pie?

Yummmm…...

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 5, 2006 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

This seems like a very weird pairing.  I guess this could mean RIM is trying to get into the consumer market because I would think putting iTunes on a business phone would be stupid.

Joe

Posted by Quake97 on June 5, 2006 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

I like this idea.  Maybe Apple can clean up the interface on the Blackberry devices.  IMO, the interface is cluttered with way too many options that are also poorly organized.

Posted by Ben Zell on June 5, 2006 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Why “AppleBerry”?

“Black” - color, serving as adjective
“Berry” - noun modified by adjective…

“Apple” is a noun.

Wouldn’t “BlackApple” be better? and cooler sounding?

Posted by D Harris on June 5, 2006 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

I can hear it now…Rimple…y’no…sounds vaguely like a certain cheap fortified wine.

Apple…leave my BlackBerry alone…the battery life is bad enough as it is.

Posted by flatline response on June 5, 2006 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

Didn’t Apple learn last time that consumers want the whole package made by them? I don’t want the software by Apple and then the hardware by some other company. I’m disappointed, so will leave this to others. I want an Apple made phone, or an Apple made PDA, or hybrid, as long as it isn’t Apple+companyX.

Apple seem to have lost the plot in my book in regards to the new stuff they’re bringing out, motorola phone? No, we (or I at least) want the Apple phone. Perhaps they just do it to test the waters?

Posted by silver_haze20 on June 6, 2006 at 2:50 AM (PDT)

Why must it have an apple logo on it?
Does somehow an phone made by apple automatically makes it better than any other phone?

I’m not trying to be argumentive, I just want to understand your point of view.

Posted by 3rdEye on June 6, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

Well, the only device similar that’s out so far are the motorola phone’s, whilst the phones in themselves are ok for motorola’s normal standards the actual iTunes software on it pretty much sucks.

Apple does (or at least did) pride itself on being a company providing the hard and software, to ensure the end user gets the best performance available, because it just works. This is proven well with the iPod, and all of their computers (that I’ve used at least).

Now I’ve never used a Blackberry, they don’t seem to be so big over here in the UK from what I’ve seen, so I wouldn’t have anything to compare it to in the first place, but I’m really going on the fact that the previous attempt wasn’t a very good one.

Bear in mind that this article says iPod software, Apple aren’t making the OS for this, and that’s also what I’m getting at, I want an Apple OS on a portable device.

I’m no fanboy, I don’t expect everything to have an Apple logo, my only computer is a windows machine, and I’m not about to switch anytime soon, but if the Apple PDA was announced it would sure make me think about it…

Posted by silver_haze20 on June 6, 2006 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I think Apple ought to wait to put anything out until they’ve got their own version of the “Ultra-Mobile PC”. Only it should be the size of a PDA, be a cell phone, have a 20 gig HD, and have ports to hook up a monitor and keyboard (or somehow Bluetooth ‘em). I’m probably dreamin’. It makes little sense for us Mac users to be buying Blackberrys with Windows, but so far Apple has left us no other choice.

Posted by jonnysuperfunk on June 6, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

I did use a blackberry for a while and was unimpressed. It does the “push email” thing well and the wireless sync well, but that’s about it. The basic PIM tools are weaker than what Palm had 10 years ago and there is comparitively little third party software.

I think that many people who rave about their crackberries had never used a PDA previously and were issued one by their offices. Compared to lugging around a laptop or having nothing at all, the BlackBerry is a nice tool.

Apple can, and should, do better.

Perhaps may just license the software for connecting to a Blackberry Enterprise Server. This would enable companies to deploy either RIM or Apple devices and their employees would be able to get their email, calendars, etc.

Posted by D Harris on June 7, 2006 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

I’d disagree with that. I know a number of people, including myself, that switched from the PocketPC world to BlackBerries and generally haven’t regretted it (well, at least not very much).

I was a longtime Windows CE/PocketPC/Mobile/‘whatever’s next’ user before making the switch. I was a short timer with Palm before Windows CE. While I won’t go into withdrawl if deprived of my CrackBerry, it’s proven itself to be a reasonably solid system. There are things I miss that my last iPaq could do (namely file management and available card slots, as well as some irksome quirks with calendar management), but I’ve survived most of these omissions without too much heartache. Despite all the new Windows Mobile smartphones with thumbboards, I can’t see myself enticed enough to want to go back, especially since T-Mobile’s BlackBerry service is about as value-laden as it comes.

Posted by flatline response on June 7, 2006 at 2:53 PM (PDT)

I’ll stick with my PAA (personal analogue assistant), as seen on Aqua Teen Hunger Force…but thats just me.

Posted by CODACAT on June 7, 2006 at 9:04 PM (PDT)

Great, just when I upgraded to the 8700g and purchased a new ipod…

Posted by Anna on June 8, 2006 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

Webmasters Check the Latest Top 500 keywords bid.
Top 500 Bids keywords

Posted by Top500Bids on June 8, 2006 at 11:19 AM (PDT)