AppleMatters: Next To The iPod Everything Else Is Ugly | iLounge News

AppleMatters: Next To The iPod Everything Else Is Ugly

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, January 5, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“There are other products out there that do what the iPod does and for less. Check out the specs on the iRiver iHP-120. It has a similar shape to the iPod but comes with a built in FM radio, 16 hour battery, can play way more formats than the iPod (MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV, and OGG), has optical input and output for recording music directly to it and a built in voice recorder!”

« iPod ads “do a terrific job of seducing and selling”

iTunes Music Store coming to Japan »

Comments

I have to admit when I read this quote I wondered what the hell you were doing!

...Then I read the full article smile

Posted by Ebs on January 5, 2004 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

true that man

peace

Posted by BIGP in Texas on January 5, 2004 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

word to tha mutha…....

But looks only get you so far….

Posted by angry_black_man on January 5, 2004 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

Good point, looks matter.

Posted by dura on January 5, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Stupid story, and I’m an iPod user.

Posted by Dasein on January 5, 2004 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

I like the looks of my iRiver - and the little full-function LCD remote is a serious combination of tech and genius art. I used to have an iPod and after a couple of years I can honestly say I got bored with the white goods look. It now reminds me of lame 70s “scifi” looks and bubble chairs.

I think a lot of people feel the same way judging from the weird array of skins and cases you can buy to trick out the iPod.

Posted by leopard skin ipod on January 5, 2004 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

Leopard, why are you still here if you no longer have an iPod?

Should you not be inhabiting [url=http://www.iriverlounge.com]http://www.iriverlounge.com[/url] or somewhere? Oh, it doesn’t exist. Aaah.

Posted by Agent Orange on January 5, 2004 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

Leopard.. did you once have an ipod but decided to switch..I have to admit I LOVE the spens on the iriver.. the only thing holding me back which is shallow is the looks and also I am seriously loving the Itunes music store..

Posted by bababooey on January 5, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Posted by boring on January 5, 2004 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

And I thought a story from a website called AppleMatters.com wasn’t going to rank the ipod as the best??

It would mean more if it was from a non biased website. Not many Apple fan websites are saying anything too critical of the ipod. But I do agree—the ipod is the snazziest. wink

Posted by digitaltrapper on January 5, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Wouldn’t trade my Rio Karma for an iPod just to get teh l33t scrollwheel….

Posted by crom on January 5, 2004 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

Well, I guess some prefer a designer shirt from Gucci, while some thinks that since I am just buying a white T-shirt, why not buy it from K-mart ??!  Well ...  to me, iPod is from Apple ...  it comes like certain status !!!!!  And how can you ignore that outlook ?!!!  As for the others MP3 players, I can’t really every bare looking at them after having my iPod ...  Most of them look like SHxT !

Posted by Poddy in Love in Singapore on January 5, 2004 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

Aesthetically, I’ say the Philips HDD100 is the only other hard drive mp3 player that ranks up there with the ipod.

Posted by dave on January 6, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

dave i read on this site that the Phillips player uses the same hardware as the iPod (same portalplaya chips same small hard disk). I guess all they are missing is the scroll wheel. Do Apple have a lock on this as a patent or something? And I’ve never seen the Phillips for sale in America so I think it’s a Euro only thing. Maybe they have a deal with Apple?

Posted by PrezDubya on January 6, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)