Apple’s iPhone 4 accessories: Bumper cases, Dock | iLounge News

Apple’s iPhone 4 accessories: Bumper cases, Dock

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 7, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPhone Accessories

image

Alongside the iPhone 4, Apple today announced a pair of accessories for its latest handset. Bumpers are case-like rubber and molded plastic accessories that appear to wrap around the edge of the iPhone, with metal covers for the volume and power buttons. Available in six two-tone color combinations—white, black, blue, green, orange, or pink—they will sell for $29. In addition, Apple will offer a redesigned iPhone Dock for the iPhone 4, roughly matching the width of the device and leaving the sides of the iPhone exposed; it too will sell for $29. Apple will launch the iPhone on June 24; it is unclear whether the new accessories will be released at the same time, or at a later date.

« WWDC App Debuts: iMovie, Guitar Hero, Netflix, Farmville

First hands-on photos of iPhone 4 posted »

Comments

$29 Really apple…. REALLY

Posted by mikelarry85 on June 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

^ I don’t know… $29 is about on par with other case manufacturers.  It’s hard to say how good the case is at this point, though.

Posted by Josh Calvetti on June 7, 2010 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

I hope they enable us to buy a dock adaptor too for us universal dock owners.

Posted by blackforce on June 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

@Josh, it’s not a case its a glorified rubber band.

Posted by Johnathan on June 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

@ josh this “CASE” just wraps around the edges of the iphone and they expect users to pay $29 really

Posted by mikelarry85 on June 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

Did Steve Job approve the accessories… I mean 29 bucks for just a bumper to protect the edges! Seriously, did Mr. Job approve the price.

Posted by James Holmes on June 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

Yea, I guess if you ONLY have access to Apple accessories ... humm, if ONLY there were other outlets that sold iphone accessories ... if only like 7-11 sells them, oh wait they do ...

Posted by jbelkin on June 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

Yeah, LOL.  Because NO other vendor has items one could consider overpriced?
If you guys are going to come in and chime in to let everyone know how cool you are because you don’t buy Apple gear, at least pull it out of your backside first.
It’s an Apple option.  Lots of others will be available.  Look at iPad cases, Apple’s is priced more reasonably than many.  If you think it’s a rip-off, don’t buy it.
Simple how this free-market thing works eh?

Posted by sb on June 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

i love how non-apple supporters slag off every new product that apple release.. look at the ipad.. everyone saying it’ll never work, wont sell as its a big ‘ipod touch’ etc.. well its outsold the iphone!! well, their 2 month barrier atleast! why waste your time coming to websites just to waste the time for us people who enjoy writing/reading about new products.. get a life u sad pathetic people, and go away!

bring on the iphone 4, loving my ipad and imac 24inch, macbook pro, time capsule, and many more apple products that i am proud to own!!!

Posted by lisa kris on June 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

I’ve seen some other cases that are little more than a rubber band for almost the same price.  Plus, this shouldn’t really be a surprise- Apple’s accessories have almost all been $29.

But come on guys, we buy the new iPhone every year- is $29 really that much in the grand scheme of things?

Posted by Josh Calvetti on June 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

i wouldn’t get a case that just covers the edges cause I always eventually will have to sell it on craigslist for when I get the newest iphone and I need it to be in perfect condition which only covers that competely cover the back and sides of the phone can do. Although now that the back cover of the phone is going to be made of the same material as the screen, which always holds up pretty well, now I’m thinking maybe the edge cover would be a smart idea! HMMMMMM! INTRIGUING! if thats the case, Ima get a white iPhone with a

Posted by billgates on June 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

This was exactly the kind of case I wanted for the original iPhone- one that lets you touch the back and front but gives you some extra grip along the side.  I’ve always used a sleeve-type pouch to carry my iPhone but use it naked, and will probably do the same with this one.  But if it’s slippery I might think about these bumpers.  I wonder how easy they are to slide on and off.  And will the phone fit in the new dock with a bumper on?

Posted by Dyvim on June 8, 2010 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

What? No Purple?

$29 seems a bit high, but no higher than some other cases.

In a month, there will be a huge selection of cases.

Posted by jeffharris on June 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

I kinda like the “bumper” idea. looks pretty good and keeps the iPhone nice and thin. I do have one question about the front and back…I always keep a screen protector on the front of my 3GS. Would you do the same with the back of the new iphone 4? Maybe just screen covers on the front and back with the bumper on the sides? or would you even need any kind of protection on the back?  what do you guys think?

Posted by john_kc on June 8, 2010 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

All of Apple’s accessories are obscenely priced, why is this a shock to people? If Apple had done something like announce a 3 pack of the bumpers for $12.99 (still probably around a 700% markup), now *that* would be something worth acting surprised over wink

I bought my first Apple product back in 1994, but the only Apple branded accessory I’ve ever owned as a dock for the iPod 1G mini, and if I could go back in time even that wouldn’t be the case.

Apple accessories exist for those who actually care what brand of doo-dad they’re carrying around with their iPod, for the other 99% of the world there will be 3rd party options aplenty and many will even be reasonably priced or at least offer more bang for the buck than these.

(ye gods, did I just more or less agree with sb?)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

I will agree with Code Monkey (another shocker lately). Apple does overprice their offerings. Especially with such a robust 3rd party market. Apple SHOULD offer a three-pack for around $15. That would get them some revenue that would probably go toward a 3rd party option. I would give $15 for a set of three bumpers. But never $29 for just one.

I will add that some people buy the Apple branded gear just because they really do not know better. Especially people new to the platform. I was in an Apple store and overheard a young couple that was getting iPhones discussing some accessories. The girl said that they should just get the Apple stuff (dock, A/V cable and extra charger and USB cable). Her reasoning, “Apple made it for these things, so we know it will work.” I interrupted and let them know that MANY 3rd party offerings were as good or better. They got the Apple dock and A/V cable and a Belkin charging Kit that had home and car capabilities. They just didn’t do any kind of research at all. There is a definite difference between blind “fanboi” and clueless consumer.

Posted by Mitch on June 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Its 29.99… but people will still buy it, and a lot of people i imagine.

Posted by Alex on June 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Not so much bothered by the price as I am the colors. Come on Apple, is pastel blue the only shade in that spectrum you’re capable of? Guys like blue too ya know. A dark blue band on the black model would look sick, but no, Steve’s gotta go all easter egg aqua on us.

Posted by cash907 on June 8, 2010 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

‘Rubber *and* molded plastic? Sounds like more than a glorified rubber band to me, and every case I’ve bought has be $35 or more. Additionally, Case-Mate’s cases for the iPhone 4, do not cover the bezel above the mute/volume buttons. Apple’s cover the entire metal strip. For that level of detail, $29 seems fair to me.

Posted by Rick on June 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

I hope that it’s not just a glorified rubber band, because then I think that’s mostly what we’ll see but cheaper, coming from third party companies. I have something similar to this for my touch, but it has a molded, clear plastic part to cover the back of it that is connected to the rubber part. I like that case so much because it gives the sides more grip while protecting the back (I’m a little OCD about keeping it fingerprint free, but I still like the shiny silver to show). I know I would buy something like that for the Iphone I plan on getting, especially if it came in colors like those, because sadly the touch one I have only came in black for the rubber part.

Posted by Kim on June 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >