Apple’s iPod division seeking wireless and video experts | iLounge News

Apple’s iPod division seeking wireless and video experts

“Apple is looking for two iPod hardware engineers both with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi experience, opening the possibility that the portable music player may be upgraded with wireless connectivity.

... At the very least, Apple is keen on increased integration between Wi-Fi and iTunes, and there’s a big hole in its product line here: the remote control system. Whether it has in mind something a simple as an 802.11-enabled iPod, a more complex tablet-style computer, or both, remains to be seen.”

A critical excerpt from Apple’s job posting (emphasis ours) notes that:

“* Experience in the following areas is important: system integration, digital logic, SDRAM, Flash, ASIC’s, processor selection, ATAPI, various communication protocols (ie: GSM, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11, Firewire, and USB), display types and video and analog integration.
* Broad experience: both digital and analog.

« Apple changes 90 day telephone support policy for iPod

Japan waiting up to 6 weeks for iPod mini »

Comments

wasn’t there a job like that last year? strange how it wasn’t filled

Posted by asdf on August 25, 2004 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

i’d love iPOD to have bluetooth!

Posted by ajlucas on August 25, 2004 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

I can’t wait to get a 5G iPod next August with it’s bluetooth headphones…

Posted by -_- on August 25, 2004 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

Bluetooth sucks for music. :D

Posted by newtype on August 25, 2004 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

PDA please! We need a handheld device that can do it all, including phone so that I only have to carry ONE device!

Posted by Stylescraper on August 25, 2004 at 12:36 PM (CDT)

While it would be cool to have a WiFi enabled ipod, I don’t really see it as a huge selling point.  What I like about my iPod is that it does what I really want it to and it does it really well: play music.  Yeah, it’d be cool to have wireless headphones and yeah, it’d be cool to just hook it up to your stereo and walk around with a remote, but is it really something that you would use all that often?  The only things that I see the iPod as wanting for is really good direct to format line in recording and maybe an am/fm radio.
One of the biggest mistakes other companies are making with their digital music players is loading way too many features into them.  While this makes price and weight go up, it also tends to make usability shoot downward.  Instead of making the iPod able to do all sorts of stuff that only a small portion of the market would use, they should focus on the things that customers have been saying they want from the begining.

Posted by Alden on August 25, 2004 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

WiFi would be great, but keep in mind it really saps the battery.  Unless the ipod guys to major work on the battery end of the ipod (more then just four hour add on) I don’t see it usefull other then to sync the ipod.

But what would be great is to stream the Ipods music to other Ipods.

Posted by Justin on August 25, 2004 at 1:03 PM (CDT)

If they came out with a new iPod, that maybe did not replace the current one, then I think that it would do well if it had all the bells and whistles with it. All of that stuff is available now, but if it was by apple, then I think that it could be huge.

Posted by John on August 25, 2004 at 1:14 PM (CDT)

I agree with Alden, I think it seems a little pointless.  Why not focus on some nice things like an FM tuner that people would use.  If they are going to make some un-needed changes i say give it a nice color screen and make the acryllic and chrome more scratch resistant. If there is one huge fault to the ipod, IMO, its that its so beautiful and sleek, but they have made owning a case a necessity as opposed to an option. As much fun as cases are id rather be happy just owning an ipod as opposed to all the goofy things that can go with it. By the way, this might seem a wierd question to ask, but what is bluetooth really?

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on August 25, 2004 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

I think Apple is going to work on making the iPod interface with the Airportexpress.  The ipod will detect the AEXP on your network, and like iTunes, give you the option to stream to your stereo.  Your ipod then would be the remote control, and that would be awesome IMO.  I love the AEXP, but would love to use my ipod as a remote, similar to the way i use it with the itrip, just much better sound quality.

Posted by Granitopod on August 25, 2004 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

Bluetooth is a kind of wireless networking.  It’s made for very fast connections over very limited distances.  It was more or less concived as a replacement for all the cords that are on a typical desk.  Some devices that use Bluetooth are cell phones, printers, PDAs, mice and keyboards.  The standard has mostly fallen by the wayside, though.  Instead of hearlding in a new generation of a clean desk, it turned out to be an expensive add-on that computers with 8 USB 2.0 ports on them kind of made obsolete.

Posted by Alden on August 25, 2004 at 2:26 PM (CDT)

bluetooth is something that enables devices to be wireless. You could update your bluetooth enabled phone to your bluetooth computer to sync your addresses, contacts, calenders, etc.

Bluetooth headphones would be great, because there would be no wires going from your ipod to your ears. Lots of people have wanted wireless bluetooth headphones, and it would be a great addition to a 5G iPod!

Posted by Veasey in Cambridge, MA on August 25, 2004 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

Wireless headphones! Hmmm…..two little disks in my ears. I can see it now: “Honey, have you seen two tiny earbuds I had out on the dinning room table? Er, was it the coffee table? Wait, here’s one, on the floor! Where’s the other one?

No, wait. It’s ok, I’ll just use the regular ‘buds, the ones with the cord, and plug them into my iPod. Oh, oh, WHERE did I put my iPod?!?

Posted by Dave Wyman on August 25, 2004 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

I can hear myself now. “Honey, have you seen my little earbuds for my iPod? The Bluetooth ones? You know, those little black foam ear thingies? Weren’t they sitting on the coffee table, er, maybe the dinning room table? Or did they fall out of my ears last night in bed?

Oh, here’s one, on the floor. But I can’t find the other one!

“No problem, I’ll just use the old ones with the cord and plug them into my iPod. Oh, oh, where IS my iPod?

Posted by Dave Wyman in Los Angeles, USA on August 25, 2004 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

People keep saying the iPod should have an AM/FM radio, but how about this for an idea, that seems a little more appropriate, put a DAB radio in it.

Posted by Pete on August 25, 2004 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

If anyone has questions about the necesity of WiFi, just think; when most cities are covered with free public WiFi (only a matter of time) Then to hell with AM/FM radio, and hello web radio!

Posted by E-Dub on August 25, 2004 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

someone around here had what I think is a great idea - rather than pumping the ipod full of “performance enchancers” think instead of a super-dock….

Posted by wastedTalent on August 25, 2004 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

yep. because they post a job opening for it, it must be happening. just like how they posted a job opening for an audio-visual engineer for the iPod division during preparation of the 4G, which now features a full colour screen and surround sound. Oh wait…
Bluetooth sucks for music, the quality is too low, and WiFi is a hell of a lot slower than FW/USB2. Synching a lot of stuff would take ages.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on August 25, 2004 at 5:04 PM (CDT)

THINK PEEPS!!

A Wireless iPod…Download music direct to your iPod OVER THE AIR!!

3G Network…. Super Fast…

Mini iTunes Store interface on iPod…

Cradle and syncronize with your music library in your mac/pc and visa versa :-)

WIRELESS OTA iPods WILL Happen.

Mark these words…

Posted by Yipli Mental Figurer on August 25, 2004 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

You will be able to SUBSCRIBE to receive new tracks every week or whenever you like… in whatever configuration you like..

E.g. Receive all new Top 40 Chart New Entries

Receive new 50 Cent track DIRECT to your iPod FIRST….

Posted by Yipli Mental Figurer on August 25, 2004 at 5:39 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >