Apple’s Jobs: ‘You don’t want your phone to be like a PC’ | iLounge News

Apple’s Jobs: ‘You don’t want your phone to be like a PC’

image

Apple CEO Steve Jobs says consumers can expect more mobile applications for the iPhone by the time the device ships in June—but that Apple will control what applications make it onto the iPhone, much like it has done with every iPod.

“We define everything that is on the phone,” Jobs told the New York Times. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.” Jobs told Newsweek something similar. “You don’t want your phone to be an open platform,” he said. “You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.”

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” Jobs continued. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”

During the unveiling of the iPhone, which runs a scaled down version of Mac OS X, Jobs showed off applications for email, web browsing, photos, SMS text messaging, and Google Maps, as well as widgets for weather and stocks. Other icons on the iPhone prototype include Calendar, Camera, Calculator, Notes, Clock, and Settings.

« Cingular to rebrand as AT&T next week

Choose Your Own Adventure comes to iPod »

Comments

Jobs makes a good point about ensuring the operability of the primary function.

I just hope there’s a pipeline for Apple to approve third-party applications.

Posted by Ted Wood on January 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM (CST)

“I do want my phone to be an open platform,” says Aero.

Posted by Aero on January 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM (CST)

Um, what about their Palm and Windows Mobile devices? They’re open platforms and I don’t recall seeing any news reports of a buggy RSS reader on someone’s Treo taking down their West Coast network. Hell, my Treo is buggy enough on it’s own - I don’t need to add 3rd party apps because it crashes on it’s own at least 3x a day!

Posted by Seth on January 11, 2007 at 4:06 PM (CST)

It won’t just be Apple controlling what applications are on the phone, it will be Cingular as well. They only want to protect their revenue streams, which is why you won’t see iChat Mobile on the iPhone. Keep paying through the nose for those 15c each and unreliable SMS messages.

Posted by Kirk Van Gorkom on January 11, 2007 at 4:24 PM (CST)

I believe Apple and Cingular alike want to avoid the customer service calls of a 3rd party app gone sideways.  I agree that there should be controls, but maybe a happy medium.  Maybe Apple could eventually agree to an “apple approved” app program and allow downloads from iTunes (kinda like he iPod games).

Posted by Styx on January 11, 2007 at 4:31 PM (CST)

Who knows what is going to be available when you purchase the phone. Maybe some of those packages are included when you buy the iphone. This is a new contract that Apple & Cingular made together so who knows if Apple called most of the shots. All i heard so far is CIngular will handle billing and customer service… which I hope had some say in

Posted by AZ on January 11, 2007 at 4:47 PM (CST)

“I do want my phone to be an open platform,” says Aero.

Which is fine by me as long as it’s on a different network from my phone…Actually, no, make that a network that cannot communicate with my phone in any way. Yeah, that should go some way to protecting me from the “interesting” software that gets loaded onto you phone.

Posted by CDB on January 11, 2007 at 5:03 PM (CST)

Hi there, my only hope is about the policy applied to this gorgeous device. If we talk about ipod ok, we don’t need too much more, just games ok, why not.
But for the iPhone, i don’t think that’s the right choice. As we know is shure, more apps, more crashing, more formatting and so other…but can I decide for ME what can i have on my phone? it has a big screen why not as GPS TomTom, Route66, destinator?
Anyway, i hope they don’t do that, or a new NEWTON born and DIE.

I would love to have it, but…

Posted by NandoX on January 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM (CST)

This kind of kills it for me. The hardware and software look incredible and just seeing the picture makes me drool. But I have about 10 3rd party apps on my sony ericsson and I don’t know how I’d live without them. For me, being able to add things you want, whether it’s productivity apps or games, is an important feature. How else can you get the phone to do what you really want it to? It’s your phone, it should do what you want, not necessarily what Apple wants.
Ah well I bet a week after this thing is released people will have figured out how to crack the software and load it full of Java goodness. I can only hope, anyway.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on January 11, 2007 at 5:19 PM (CST)

Yeah, I’m pretty much in the “I won’t buy it if I can’t install my own apps” camp.  I love my Treo 700p, except it’s not as gorgeous as the iPhone and isn’t also an iPod.  I was practically in line to buy one until Jobs said this.  Now I’ll avoid it like the plague.

Posted by Sheppy on January 11, 2007 at 6:01 PM (CST)

hmmm…. all I hear people saying hear is,” it’s my phone I should be able to put what ever I want on it”. Yes, you did buy a phone but, no, just because Apple put a slim form of OS X on it doesn’t mean it is there for you to tinker with. As Steve said in his Keynote they used OS X because all the functionality they needed was already in OS X to allow them to put together a device that they wanted to develop, not so you could put anything you want on it. If you don’t like the the product, don’t buy it. I personally agree with Steve, in the fact that you don’t want to be able to load crappy third party software on your phone. I have owned treos in the past and I can tell you, that is there biggest downfall. All it takes is one bad Application and then all the device does is crash for the rest of it’s life even after you delete the application. Bottom line OS X is there for Apple to develop a great phone, not for others to make Applications for…. don’t like it, don’t buy it! It goes without saying that I WILL be getting one.

Posted by dozx on January 11, 2007 at 6:02 PM (CST)

Apples tight control over the hardware and software has been the hallmark of there success and what makes Apple products great to use.

Posted by dozx on January 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM (CST)

too many hands in the pot ruin the dish…..

Posted by dozx on January 11, 2007 at 6:08 PM (CST)

Personally…. I’d LOVE to have my cell run like a PC instead of a Mac….. Tons more applications to choose from and cheaper, too.

Plus…. PC can still do way more things than Mac…. and when it comes to choices of accesories….. there’s simply nothing for Mac….

I used Mac for more 10 years & finally made the switch to PC a year ago…. Now I hate myself for not doing it Earlier…..

Posted by DJ on January 11, 2007 at 6:28 PM (CST)

Being the owner of a PPC-6700, my phone is way too much like Windows (because it IS Windows Mobile 5.0). Thanks DJ, but no thanks. If I’m going to have a phone act like an OS X Mac or a WinXP (or Vista) PC, I’ll choose Mac every time.

Treo’s, Palm’s, and Blackberry’s may be different, I’ve already seen how bad things are when the phone works like a PC. - Tim

Posted by TimTheFoolMan on January 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM (CST)

Wont the ipod games work on the phone?

Posted by Eric on January 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM (CST)

@DJ
The Spammers would like your cell-phone to run more like Windows too. When you install the latest and greatest App from “Small Company of Dubious Origins”, on your phone, they are not only going to be able to increase the amount of Spam they send out, but also palm off the costs of sending that spam to you.

WRT apps on a Mac; There are fewer apps for the Mac because you need fewer apps to accomplish the same tasks on a Mac. You you really need to have PaintShop Pro, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Corel Painter, PhotoShop, Paint.NET, MS Paint and GIMP on your Windows Box?

Posted by Dan Woods on January 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM (CST)

I think that Apple may start selling phone apps a la cart on itunes.  It’s a great way for them to make more $, and the consumer gets only what they want/need on their phone.

Posted by Mitch on January 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM (CST)

Apple wouldn’t be half as far as it is today without 3rd-party software support. Steve is throwing out a red herring by saying “we don’t want this to be like a PC.”  You’re right, Steve. We don’t. We want it to be like a Mac. With the quality 3rd-party Mac software that I use more than I do Apple-published apps.

So get on the cluetrain, or your $500 iPhone, as beautiful as it is, will not convince current smartphone users to give up their open platform phones.

22-year Mac user and stockholder,
-Brett

Posted by Brett on January 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM (CST)

Yeah…. and when Mac FINALLY gets more market share…. you don’t think there will be more & more spam & virus targeted at Mac as well?????

You’re safe only for now….. Yes there are Mac viruses & spams these days…. Don’t EVEN try to tell me there’s none….. I’ve used Mac for over 10 years…. remember???

Posted by DJ on January 11, 2007 at 9:04 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >