Apple’s Jobs warns of ‘greedy’ record companies | iLounge News

Apple’s Jobs warns of ‘greedy’ record companies

Apple CEO Steve Jobs today called the major music labels “greedy” for considering a hike in the price of songs on iTunes and warned that such a move would drive users back to piracy.

“If they want to raise the prices, it means that they are getting a little greedy,” Jobs told reporters before the opening of Apple Expo in Paris. “We’re trying to compete with piracy, we’re trying to pull people away from piracy and say, ‘You can buy these songs legally for a fair price,’” he said. “But if the price goes up a lot, they’ll go back to piracy. Then everybody loses.”

Meanwhile, Jon Rubinstein, senior vice president of Apple’s iPod division, said the company was not planning to add radio features to the iPod because there was not enough demand for it.

« PocketParty speakers for iPod nano announced

XtremeMac intros high definition earphones »

Comments

Steve Jobs’s is right. I’ll go out myself and demand people go back to P2P trading of music. What these music companies don’t get (and refuse to understand) they are at OUR mercy. They only get money because we FEEL like paying. Try to screw up and they’ll be the one feeling the violation.

And about not enough demand for FM features ... is this guy ever an A S S! What a remarkably retarded comment on Rubinstein’s part. THERE IS DEMAND FOR FM FEATURES IN THE iPOD, YOU FOOL. GET USED TO IT. There’s also demand for an iPod with batteries that can be easily replaced BY THE USER—LIKE AAs or 9-Volts. Hey, if they’re on flash drives like the iPod nano, then it wouldn’t be a problem for the battery to be able to power it for quite a while. It’s ridiculous for it taking so damn long for such a player to come out. When you think about it, it’s ridiculous. Your battery goes out, you’ve got to turn it to get the battery replaced, or get a new one, and even if you somehow borrowed one in the meantime, you’ve got to take some time out to fill it up with your favorite songs. That time could be saved by simply allowing the iPod to be powered by AAs or 9-Volts.

Posted by Jack on September 20, 2005 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

I often think Jobs is smoking some (too) good stuff with decisions he makes, but I think he’s completely right to fight the labels on this one. Not only do the consumers hold the power to download music on demand from both illegal and grey market sources that completely cut the labels out of the equation with very little risk to themselves, Apple holds a huge amount of power here themselves. With such a large market share what are the labels going to threaten? To pull their music from iTunes? That will guarantee the users will go back to piracy. The labels will beat their chests, but if Steve holds strong they’ll back down.

As for the FM comments, I’d love to see what market research told them there wasn’t a market for it. I’d love to have AM/FM on my iPod, I might not use it much, but it wouldn’t add to the cost in any significant way and it wouldn’t affect functionality in any way.

And although not part of the original stories, yes, I’d buy an iPod that used NiMH AAA batteries over the “sleek and beautiful, nearly seamless modern art objects” without hesitation. I’d so much rather have standard rechargeables in these things.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 20, 2005 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

Posted by Tobiwan on September 20, 2005 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

“And how exactly would you propose fitting a AA, AAA or 9-Volt battery into the iPod nano or shuffle form factor?”

I believe I’ve made my disgust at the nano’s form factor clear in the forums, and I’ll leave it at that. I have no interest in these “so small we forgot to make them practical” iPods.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 20, 2005 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

I have a sneaky suspician that the Belkin battery pack that lets you put standard batteries in it would power the Nano for days at a time.  That would definately take care of the need for throwing in batteries on the go when your Nano’s battery poops out.  smile

Posted by Phoenixfury on September 20, 2005 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

Actually, I think that the prices in iTunes Music Store can only go down from this point.

In fact, the price should be so low, that people woun’t even bother download the complete works of <favorite artist> from popular torrent site of the month. Further more, iTMS should contain so much music, that it becomes google of music. (2,000,000 Songs in iTMS 51,645,931 Songs on Gracenote.com)

Replaceable batteries and radio? No thanks.

Posted by klang on September 20, 2005 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Replaceable batteries?  When a replacement solution is like $50 - $100 bucks?  No thanks, my iPod batteries have lasted years and had I had to buy even the regular AA rechargeable batteries or god forbid regular batteries, I’d have spent well over $200 per year on them.

FM radio?  The only time i even think of listening to the radio is when a hockey game is on.  But I use my iPod every day all year and hockey games are on the radio every three days for about eight months.  The radio to my music ratio that I’d use is like 100 : 1.  If I do need radio I’ve got one at home, one in the car and about three portable ones on old Walkmen.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on September 20, 2005 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

My guess as to why Apple’s completely dismissing the notion of an FM feature?

They ARE, eventually, planning a subscription-based service.  Or at very least, they’re leaving themselves open to it.  Adding an FM radio into the iPod could, in a sense, limit the profitability of the subscription service.  (If you’ve got FM radio, would you be as likely to load up your iPod with random music?  I don’t think so.)

Posted by SPThom on September 20, 2005 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

im happy with the thousands of songs on my ipod, why do i want to listen to a fm radio, so many commericials. satilite radio? i might buy, if they improve on the battery life. but i wouldnt want to spend money on AA batteries everytime a ipod runs dry

Posted by Navas on September 20, 2005 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

I haven’t purchased a regular battery in well over a decade. There’s these things called NiMH batteries that don’t cost much more than alkalines and last for the same 1000+ charge cycles as the one in your iPod. Bunch of freaking idiots out today.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 20, 2005 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

“im happy with the thousands of songs on my ipod, why do i want to listen to a fm radio, so many commericials. satilite radio? “

I can see the value in having radio features. I commute via bus a lot and it would be nice to find out traffic reports or news stories on the go. Also, a few years ago, we had a huge blackout and listening to the radio was the only way we could feel connected to the rest of the world. If I wasn’t at home or near a car, then my iPod isn’t really gonna do much for me in that respect.

Posted by blah on September 20, 2005 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

“There’s these things called NiMH batteries that don’t cost much more than alkalines and last for the same 1000+ charge cycles as the one in your iPod. Bunch of freaking idiots out today.”

So, why do you want “replaceable” batteries for your iPod again? Oh… cause they last as long as the battery that comes in your iPod already. Makes perfect sense.

Posted by Tobiwan on September 20, 2005 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

“So, why do you want “replaceable? batteries for your iPod again? Oh… cause they last as long as the battery that comes in your iPod already. Makes perfect sense.”

Jesus, what is it with people and the complete lack of a brain???

See, every other device I have uses NiMH, I keep a pool of them fully charged at all times. At no point is ANY other electronic I own ever plugged in. Batteries get low, pop them out, pop fresh ones in, go on my way.

My iPod is the only device I own that doesn’t at the least have user swappable batteries and one of a handful that uses a non-standard battery. It’s a kludge based on Apple’s desire to keep the “lines clean” or some other bull like that.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 20, 2005 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Everything Jobs says is self-serving.  I can’t knock him for wanting to make consumers dependent on his services, but I’m not going to be deluded and think he’s got my best interest in mind.

He wants to stick with $1 a song so that they are affordable to consumers so they will be more apt to drop $300 on an iPod.  On the other hand the Labels would prefer you spent $100 on a player and $3 per song so more goes in their pockets.  Jobs isn’t trying to change the sum total of what the consumer pays, he just wants most of it to end up in his pocket.

Jobs doesn’t want you to have an FM tuner option because he fears it will allow people to listen to music without buying it from iTMS.  Think about how often the top selling songs on iTMS are playing for free on an FM station.  A radio integrated into the iPod would undoubtedly cut into iTMS sales.  I bet Jobs is busily trying to find a way to offer satellite radio since it provides another revenue stream whereas FM wouldn’t.

Jobs is full of BS.  He tries to be a hero to the consumers when it comes to keeping songs at a $1 a piece, but what about how he effectively raised the price of the mini by $50 by replacing it with the nano?  He’s thinking about his bottom line just like everyone else.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on September 20, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Thats Bollocks we need a radio.I wont be buying another iPod till it comes with a Radio.People are just blinded my The Ipods icon status.Me included.Lets face it we all know its not the best music player out there.We need a Radio.“Full stop”

Posted by Eire on September 20, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

When I had previous players, I always thought: Oh, this is the best! I can use rechargeables anyway, but I can make up a backlog supply of charged batteries for trips, and if I ever do, god forbid, run out, I can always just buy alkaline.

But you know what? It’s a hassle. “Are these batteries charged? Where did the ones I left in my coat pocket get to? Did my mother “borrow” these for the digital camera? Oh, I’m in bed and I forgot to charge my batteries, should I bother getting up?”

But the ipod charges overnight, when I’m listening to my music anyway. It’s the simplest thing in the world. I’ve had the thing for nine months now, and I haven’t run out of charge once, which is more than I can say for my little AAA irock.

User replaceable batteries would be fine, but if the ipod itself can’t charge them—and know how, and whether it should charge them—it would lose a lot of the simplicity and elegance which makes it so ridiculously wonderful.

Posted by threemilechild on September 20, 2005 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

FWIW, the RealPlayer Music Store currently has their top 200 albums on sale for $7.99 each.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 20, 2005 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

When I drag my camera gear around, I always have spare batteries around, both disposables and rechargeables. Why shouldn’t my Apple DAPs be just as accomodating as my Nikons? Sure I sometimes use my cameras for work, but I also shoot for pleasure as well, and I’ll be damned if I’ll be caught out with nothing but a dead battery. I don’t see why Apple devices can’t get the message. Cells phones get it, PDAs get it, even PSPs and Gameboys get it. So why not Apple’s DAPs?

While I don’t necessary agree that AA/AAA form factor cells are the best solution for a DAP, using standard battery sizes does make sense. However, I’d be glad if Apple just made their batteries, in ANY form factor, removable for easy replacement with a fresh, fully charged cell when the need arises.

Posted by flatline response on September 20, 2005 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Code Monkey-

I feel you, brotha.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on September 21, 2005 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

Wow,where to begin.

As for removable batteries. One,UNless your battery is faulty from the start it should last you at least 2 years. More like 3. I am sure ‘most’ people will buy a new ipod before 3 years is up. As far as having extra batteries around to pop in. I can’t see paying $250 for a nano and then another $60 per extra battery. Instead,how about Apple start givng us AC plugs again? I like that idea better.

As for radio. No demand? Right. What I don’t get is why all the fuss for FM. Ever hear of AM!!!!!  AM is where sports,news and talk are…the things you want when you are SICK of music. FM? Big deal..if I am sick of the 900 songs on my ipod the last thing I want it to turn on crappy FM radio. AM AM AM!!!!!!
50% of the content on my ipod is talk radio I find online. To shove podcasting down our throats(which is nothing more then canned AM RADIO) and then to say there is no demand is silly. Excpet podcasting offers NO local NEWS…no local WEATHER…no Local traffic…no local scores and no local live sports games. Who wouldnt want those things on an ipod? Sure,25% of the time you might be using your ipod in a car and can turn on the radio…or at home…but what about when on the bus,train,walking,bike,work,etc? Who wants to carry around another device? C’mon Apple. AM radio…nobody else has done it. Get with it! I would pay $40 more for any ipod if it had AM radio. FM would be ok but not perfect. I could live w/ FM only but I really need AM too.

Posted by Homescoop on September 21, 2005 at 12:36 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >