Apple’s Remote application offers Wi-Fi control of iTunes, Apple TV [Updated] | iLounge News

Apple’s Remote application offers Wi-Fi control of iTunes, Apple TV [Updated]

image

Alongside iTunes 7.7, Apple has released its new Remote application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Remote allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control the music on a computer or Apple TV using a Wi-Fi connection. Users can play, skip, pause, shuffle, and search, with access to all songs and playlists, complete with album art. Remote is available now as a free download from the App Store and requires iTunes 7.7, Apple TV software version 2.1, and an iPhone or iPod touch running Software version 2.0.

Update: We’ve added a few screenshots of the new application in action below.

image

image

image

« Familiar games, developers appear in iPhone App Store

App Store opens, 500+ applications, 25% free [updated] »

Comments

Wow, looks amazing from the screenshots!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 10, 2008 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

Would be nice if they add a keyboard to access the AppleTV from the Ipod Touch

Posted by Miguel on July 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

I like the idea of the Remote application, but I’m having trouble getting a library selected. It tells me to select the device in the source list. I do. There is then a 4 digit number in the iPhone window, but I don’t know where to type this and so I’m just stuck there.
Obviously missing something simple. Anyone help with this?

Posted by Kevin on July 10, 2008 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

@Kevin:
Your iPhone will appear as a device in your iTunes library, but it will instead have the Remote app icon.  Click on it to enter the four digit number.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 10, 2008 at 4:11 PM (PDT)

@Kevin:

I had issues getting this working as well. Here are steps to get it working.

1. Make sure your iPhone and Computer are on the same network (Double check wifi is enabled on your iPhone (that was my problem)).

2. Open itunes and you should see the remote icon in the device list and make sure your phone is NOT docked, as it does not need to be in it’s dock or attached via cable. (it may take a few seconds to show up in the list)

3. Clicking on the remote icon in itunes will bring up the screen to enter your passcode.

Posted by Josh Kendall on July 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

This app is really bothering me. I do all the steps, my Wi-fi is connected on my pc and my itouch, same network.  My firewall isnt blocking itunes and I tried it with and without my library shared.  I put in the passcode and my itunes tells me that the remote can now control my library, I try to use the remote, but it says it cannot find my library =[ I really wanna use this remote, I have read so many great reviews about it.  Why isnt it working for me?

Posted by exquisite little tart on July 12, 2008 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

ok, had problems getting this going on Touch with 2.0 installed today.

1)  My laptop was wireless, could not PING my Itouch (test this… goto WIFI on the touch, you need and should be able to ping it

I could not ping from my wireless Laptop,

I CAN ping from my Wired Desktop

2) plugged Laptop into Network, turned off Wireless

3) ping Itouch, I got a replys

4) close and reopen Itunes, It should now find, under devices, “Remote”

5) enter the 4 digit code..  The rest is pretty much just works then.

I have a Sonicwall Router, it is business class and may not like the Itunes /Touch Try testing with Linksys home calss stuff later.

So it seems not working is just Network issues, not som odd Itunes thing.

Posted by Jim P on July 12, 2008 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

I want to be able to play music on an iPhone through an airport express hooked to a stereo—no computer or apple TV.
Is this possible?

Posted by drew warren on July 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

I’m seeing the same as exquisite little tart, remote pairs to my iMac fine, but can’t find the library when I try to connect. I’ve reboot my machine and the iPhone, still no luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled Remote software, still no joy. Going to try next on my wife’s PowerMac, once I get iTunes updated there.

Posted by Bryan Walls on July 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

I’m using Vista and had all sorts of problems with my touch being unable to find the itunes library after I had pressed the home button or the touch went to sleep.

I finally had good luck going into Control Panel/Programs and Features, right-clicking Bonjour and choosing “repair”, then restarting.

Remote suddenly seems to work as it should. I am able turn off the touch, quit itunes, and they both remember each other and pair up once they are running again.

Posted by mpjoyn on July 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

I have the apple Remote App - with my 32gb iTouch - my neighbor lets me use her wifi as I don’t have wireless yet.  My remote never shows up - do I have to have my own wifi connection?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Posted by Swalker on July 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

Now that I think about it - it would seem that it has to have wifi on my computer - it would be cool though to still be connected via wifi (neighbor) and be able to use remote on my computer.

Posted by Swalker in Chico, CA on July 16, 2008 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

this app doesn’t seem to work if you library is on an external hard drive. i have my library on and external fantom drive, but “info” for the app is looking for the library in the itunes folder on my macbook hard drive. not sure what to do now. macbook only has a 60 gig hard drive so its more efficient for me to keep the itunes library on my external. any thoughts?

Posted by Randolph Smith on July 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

im getting to the 4 digit number part on my iphone and my iphone shoes up in the devices column.  But there is no remote icon so when i click on my iphone, the normal summary screen comes up. help please

Posted by chris on July 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

Kevin, you rock… for a week now I have been searching the drop down menus to for the Devices List to enter the password…  this is so cool and impressive to show off!

Posted by Patrick Adams on July 20, 2008 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

I recently downloaded the Remote application from my iPod Touch. I tried to connect it to my MacBook 10.5.4 (laptop) iTunes but it displayed the following: “The passcode you entered was incorrect. Please try again.” I have iTunes 7.7 and an iPod Touch version 2.0. I also have the laptop and the iPod connected to the same network. I have been at it for quite a while and it’s been frustrating! If there’s anything that would help, please tell me! Thanks.

Posted by Yousef Bugaighis on July 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

After i received the four digit code, I clicked on my name under the devices but nothing happened. Is there supposed to be a pop up in order to put in the code? I already checked to make sure that my looking for remote setting is enabled.

Posted by chase on July 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

My wifi is correct and the search for remotes is on. I’m not getting any remote icon on the left menu. I can’t figure it out to save my life!

Posted by El on July 25, 2008 at 7:07 PM (PDT)

i love this application for my iPhone… i use it on a daily basses with my TV… but why doesn’t apple integrate the control of the TV into iTunes?

i’ve found myself looking around for my phone to change the song when it’s across the room… yet i’m sitting on my laptop watching or listening to my TV.

i know you can choose the TV as your speaker source for music… but that only works if i have all my music on my laptop. hmmm all my music is on my desktop machine.. and that’s the one that pairs with my TV.

i guess i’m waiting for the Remote Application for my laptop! wink maybe i can download the SDK and make it work. :D

Posted by Justin Smith on August 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Remote software works great on my iPod touch.  The only problem is that when I connect to my AppleTV the menu on the iPod does not allow me to access Shared Movies/Music that is stored on the network.  I can access them fine using the AppleTV remote, but library not shown on iPod touch.  Any idea how to access these files??

Thanks,

Posted by Mack on April 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >