Apple’s Remote application offers Wi-Fi control of iTunes, Apple TV [Updated] | iLounge News

Apple’s Remote application offers Wi-Fi control of iTunes, Apple TV [Updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 10, 2008
News Categories: Apps + Games

image

Alongside iTunes 7.7, Apple has released its new Remote application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Remote allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control the music on a computer or Apple TV using a Wi-Fi connection. Users can play, skip, pause, shuffle, and search, with access to all songs and playlists, complete with album art. Remote is available now as a free download from the App Store and requires iTunes 7.7, Apple TV software version 2.1, and an iPhone or iPod touch running Software version 2.0.

Update: We’ve added a few screenshots of the new application in action below.

image

image

image

« Familiar games, developers appear in iPhone App Store

App Store opens, 500+ applications, 25% free [updated] »

Comments

Removing Bonjour is the key.

Close iTunes.
Remove the Apple Bonjour application.
Download the new Bonjour from the Apple site
Install new Bonjour
Open iTunes
Open ‘Remote’ on your iPhone or iPod. Wait for the 4 digit key to popup
Goto iTunes and wait for your device to show up under ‘Devices’
Enter 4 digit code

You are done!

Posted by David B. on April 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

I’m perplexed.  I love this app and downloaded it about a month ago.  I thought it was cool until I realized I was only getting limited functionality from it.  During a learning session at an apple store I found out that my remote app was only giving me access to iTunes DJ and nothing else.  So I uninstalled, reinstalled (not sure what else I did) but ultimately, I got to discover the full value of remote.  It worked for a few weeks (library is on my iMac, wireless is working fine in the house) when suddenly it stopped working as did the wireless connection in general on my iPhone.  So…brought it in for service yesterday.  It checked out fine.  I came home and did a reset on network settings - no change.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled - no change (AND the app stalled partway into loading and never finished).  SO, I did a full restore.  Wireless now working fine on the phone, but after reinstalling remote app I’m back to the having the limited ‘version’ that I first had last month (with iTunes DJ only).  HMMM!  If I don’t get other advice, I think I will remove the app from my iMac, sync with my phone and then do a full restore on the phone.  Make sure the iPhone works fine without the app.  Then reinstall the app.  Any other suggestions?

Has anyone else seen this bizarre version of remote?

Posted by nicole on May 7, 2009 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

i put in the 4 digit code and everything works well until my ipod pops up with “remote cannot connect to your library…make sure firwall is not blocking”

ive set all my firewalls to allow itunes and everything i can think of to help, but it still wont work.
my ipod keeps popping up with that same message.

anyone please help
been trying at this off and on for weeks, seems like a really cool app and i’d love to use it.
thanks

Posted by brandon rodriguez on May 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

oh and i’m on windows vista

Posted by brandon rodriguez on May 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

David B
you are a genius

Posted by Jackiee on December 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

i down loaded the app, then opened itunes on my computer, then opened the remote app on my itouch but my ipod never showed up in the devices list. it shows up on other peoples computers but not my computer….can somebody please help me?

Posted by Shaun on December 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

I enter the correct password when it displays on iTunes, but it claims it’s incorrect. How can I fix this?

Posted by kb on May 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

I have several macs in the house; is there any way of making the Remote app differentiate between my iTunes libraries which all show (on the Remote app) as “Ken Hare’s Library”?

Posted by Ken Hare on May 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

Same here “passcode you entered was incorrect”, docked and undocked, restarted both devices (pc itunes 10 and ipad). Sort of silly

Posted by hpavc on September 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

why do i have to repair my connection after awhile to reastablish the connection between the app and my itunes? once i run the repair it works fine for awhile but then drops again. whats goin on? plz help i would appreciate it

Posted by jason on November 24, 2010 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2