Apple’s Steve Jobs calls family of teen killed for iPod | iLounge News

Apple’s Steve Jobs calls family of teen killed for iPod

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 5, 2005
News Categories: iPod

In a phone call to the father of the 15-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed over his iPod last week in Brooklyn, Apple CEO Steve Jobs conveyed his sympathies and told the man not to hesitate to ask if there was anything Jobs could do for him.

“I didn’t know who he was,” Errol Rose, father of the slain Christopher Rose, told The New York Times. “He called me on my cellphone, at 4 maybe. Or maybe it was 5.”

“He told me that he understood my pain,” Rose said. “He told me if there is anything—anything—he could do, to not be afraid to call him. It really lightened me a bit. Some people talk to you like they’re something remote,” Rose said. “He was so familiar. After every word, he paused, as if each word he said came from his heart.”

“We live in a world which is changing rapidly,” Rose said. “We have the technology that can give us the iPod and everything else, but it’s not all these things. We have to work on the minds and the hearts. We’re failing these kids. We’re not loving them like we’re supposed to.”

« Forums: Total Songs, Smart Playlist bug, Anti-Podcast, Woody iPod

Denon intros home entertainment systems with iPod connectivity [updated] »

Comments

I think the family should start a scholarship in the sons name, and have Steve Jobs donate a computer to the kid who wins. The family could pick the winner of the scholarship by who most resembles the qualities of the son.

Posted by Ben on July 5, 2005 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

This just goes to show you how awesome Steve Jobs is. He’s not a corporate robot, not completely, he’s a real, caring guy.

Posted by Nathan on July 5, 2005 at 10:55 PM (PDT)

So strange. Father doesn’t know who’s been calling, but everybody is confident that it was Steve Jobs… So strange.

Posted by Sergey on July 5, 2005 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

Sergey,

Maybe the father didn’t know who Steve Jobs is, until after he got off the phone and googled him.

Posted by Aaron on July 6, 2005 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

Anybody else here thinking that this was just a dumb and improper gesture of Jobs??

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

why would it be dumb Lars? at least he’s showing that he cares. Rock on Jobs!!!

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on July 6, 2005 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

Steve Jobs of Apple Computer called him. WOW!

Nike or Michael Jordan didn’t call the family after one person died over $100 + a pair of shoe!

Steve Jobs stop at what he was doing and dialed the phone number. Spent about 15 talking with him AND Steve offered him to call Steve if he needs anything!!!!

STEVE!! GO STEVE! You rock our world!

Posted by Mel on July 6, 2005 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

The premise is so strange: “I’m the man who “invented” the iPod, so I am indirectly responsible that your son was murdered ...” English is not my mother language so I mabye don’t find the right words, but I really think this call is unintentionally cynical. Don’t get me wrong: I don’t think that Jobs has to feel guilty - and father surely doesn’t see it this way either - but I really think the call was inappropriate. It’s just ... weird. It’s a little bit like the head of General Motors calls: “Sorry that your son died in an accident with one of our cars ...” Dunno how to describe it better, sorry.

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 12:49 AM (PDT)

What has the world (specificly the U.S.) come to? Killing a kid for his iPod?? Thats just awful. I own an iPod and now I only listen to it when it isn’t plainly visible (inside my hoodie sweatshirt or jacket.)

I kind of see what Lars is saying…. I mean, what would the family ask for? Money is the only thing that comes to my mind, but that wouldn’t bring back their son. But still, I don’t think that the call was inappropriate and definatly not dumb, I just think it was a kind act of a guilty tycoon.

Posted by Sean on July 6, 2005 at 1:55 AM (PDT)

I think it is a nice gesture, but it might be a publicity thing. If Jobs actualy does somthing, like start a scholarship or some other kind of charity that would prove he is serious about helping, but if he just makes the call to the parents and gets in the news, it is probobly just a write off.

Posted by Rascal_King on July 6, 2005 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

Yes the scholarship thing makes sense. Probably kids should be encouraged to figure out ways to make life more comfortable using technology..  Steve says he is open to any initiative

Posted by Nitin Jaswal on July 6, 2005 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

Imagine yourselves in Steve’s situation: you are the CEO of a company who invented the iPod and sells them to the world, and someone got killed for greed over one of those devices. For those of you who are not completely insensitive morons, you would feel affected and somehow responsible in a surreal way. I know I would.
After I read the news about the stabbed boy I just thought “Gee…maybe Steve will call his parents…”. And he did! So stop being mean and accept that we all are human beings and just because he’s damn rich and famous and sells iPods doesn’t mean he’s turned into a machine himself!

Lars you make me sick

Posted by The one who is right on July 6, 2005 at 3:59 AM (PDT)

I just hope this kid’s death over an iPod is a one in a trillion freaky chance, and not going to become a common occurance.

Posted by Lee on July 6, 2005 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

If steve Jobs & Bill Gates were world leaders we would all live in a better world
both of them are kind people!

Posted by Shane Ellis on July 6, 2005 at 4:48 AM (PDT)

I think some of you guys are missing the point. He’s not calling because it was his iPod; he’s calling because he cares about the world and others.

Posted by Jon on July 6, 2005 at 4:54 AM (PDT)

I think the majority of you have been somewhat misinformed.  The kid was sadly killed in a mugging by gang members and he just HAPPENED to have an iPod, which, by the way, was not the only item stolen from him.

Posted by Drew on July 6, 2005 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

“The One Who Is Right”: Why do I make you sick? Because you think I’m cold? Quite illogical regarding my point of view that I consider a “Here’s Steve Jobs, let me know if there’s anything I can do for you ...”-call (unintentionally) cynically, isn’t it? You got your opinion, I got mine. Mabye I’m wrong - I should have known that this whole sect behaviour of Apple user also includes everything what messias Steve Jobs does. Again: I don’t doubt that Steve Jobs call had good intentions and wasn’t about publicity, but personally, I find this call about as useful as movie stars travelling to the third world for some nice photos ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

By the way, I really hope that Jobs from now on calls EVERYBODY whose close relative was killed in a robbery because of an iPod/Apple product and grant them wishes. Or do you really think this was the first case in the whole world ...?

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

Man, you guys are rough.

For one, the kid was robbed by gang members. From what I gathered by READING the actual article, they wandered through the wrong neighborhood and were mugged by several gang members, plus the iPod was his friend’s, not his.

And a publicity stunt? To sell more iPods? To hype the Apple brand? Give me a break. If you read the article, Steve’s call made the father of the boy feel slightly better about the whole situation, so who cares? Steve made a call, father appreciated it, everyone’s happy. Get over it.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 6, 2005 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

The way I used the word “publicity” in my previous comment, I didn’t meant it in the way to sell more iPod, but Jobs showing himself as a sympathic person and not to “damage” the iPod brand. BUT NO: I critizised Jobs call, but I DON’T think that it was cold calculated. (I just used the word when refering to another post.) Although on the other hand, I find it a bit strange that the father has a “New York Times” interview about Jobs call ... (But I don’t know the circumstances about this as I am living in Germany and have not read the article - so I ‘m not able to give an opinion on that)

I just find it ridiculous to now hear about Steve Jobs caring about the world and every individum ...etc. All these fanatic Apple fans here really frighten me from time to time ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »