Apple’s Steve Jobs calls family of teen killed for iPod | iLounge News

Apple’s Steve Jobs calls family of teen killed for iPod

In a phone call to the father of the 15-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed over his iPod last week in Brooklyn, Apple CEO Steve Jobs conveyed his sympathies and told the man not to hesitate to ask if there was anything Jobs could do for him.

“I didn’t know who he was,” Errol Rose, father of the slain Christopher Rose, told The New York Times. “He called me on my cellphone, at 4 maybe. Or maybe it was 5.”

“He told me that he understood my pain,” Rose said. “He told me if there is anything—anything—he could do, to not be afraid to call him. It really lightened me a bit. Some people talk to you like they’re something remote,” Rose said. “He was so familiar. After every word, he paused, as if each word he said came from his heart.”

“We live in a world which is changing rapidly,” Rose said. “We have the technology that can give us the iPod and everything else, but it’s not all these things. We have to work on the minds and the hearts. We’re failing these kids. We’re not loving them like we’re supposed to.”

« Forums: Total Songs, Smart Playlist bug, Anti-Podcast, Woody iPod

Denon intros home entertainment systems with iPod connectivity [updated] »

Comments

as the NewYorkTimes article requires membership, here is a mirror.

Posted by ja450n on July 6, 2005 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

This is either,
1. Steve Jobs, wanting to help the poor father.

OR

2. a publicity stunt. And a really good one. It make’s you all think that Jobs is a god and friendly man, so maybe the next time you are going to buy a new computer or mp3-player, you think - “Why not buy something from apple, and in that way I can support Jobs and his friendly company, who cares about the consumers. A company with fealings, not like the other cold and hard companys.
I don’t blame Jobs if he did it because of #2, he is still the CEO of one of the biggest companys, making mp3-players. And he still have to sell his products!!!

Posted by Gentleman_finn in Denmark on July 6, 2005 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

wow. what a thing to do…what a person Jobs is.
I agree with the first comment about the scholarship with the computer.

Posted by Noah on July 6, 2005 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

a) According to just about every article about the mugging, the gang of thugs wanted his iPod.  Not his shoes, not his cellphone; his iPod.

b) The way I see it, Steve Jobs didn’t need to call the boy’s father as a “publicity stunt”.  He realized that some people take this iPod thing waaaay too far, and I sincerely believe he regrets what happened.  Not because it was his fault for making something so wildly popular, but because it came to this.  Besides, if he wanted it to be a publicity stunt, one would think he would have gone to the papers himself and told them that he was going to call the kid’s father.

“Nice guy” or not, it was the right thing to do.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on July 6, 2005 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

The idea that this is a publicity stunt is cynical in itself… I don’t think it is a publicity stunt at all.

The fact is that this wasn’t some big press conference where Steve, in some sort of self aggrandizing way, comes out and speaks of this boy and his father. This was a private conversation between a grieving father and a stranger who was wishing him his condolences. A kind gesture, that’s all. The only reason anyone even knows about it is because the father was open enough to share the conversation with the NYT reporter.

To think that someone like Steve Jobs is only doing this for the gain of his company is EXTREMELY cynical… Just because he is a public figure doesn’t mean you guys have to take apart every single thing he does and conclude that he’s just out to sell more iPods…

Posted by Ben on July 6, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

I don’t think it’s an odd thing to do at all, what’s wrong with being human? Many times I have come upon a story that makes me feel as though I should do something to make the situation better. I’ve spent countless hours thinking of the tragedy that befell Dimebag Darrell in Columbus, OH. Being from Oh I feel somewhat guilty, are these the people I live around? I feel like I should do something, but I have yet to act upon it. Steve has, I can’t imagine it would be an easy call to make. Nobody is that cold and calculating. I can understand where he’s coming from and the guilt he may be feeling. He has done the right thing. I applaud steve for allowing himself to express his empathy, and I am not saying that because I am an Apple supporter. Lars, there is no need to turn it in to a political debate, accept at face value.

Posted by Kevin on July 6, 2005 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

I’m not a Steve Jobs fanboy, but I think what he did was a warm act of human kindness.  It is very easy to view this as a cynical ploy on Job’s part, but I don’t see it that way.  If you know part of Job’s life story then you probably can understand his true motive, which I believe to be pure.

This is unlike the president of GM calling a crash victim because iPods are not autos with their intrinsic risk.  We all understand that driving carries risk.  It is an extraordinary occurance to die over an iPod.

Jobs should be lauded for his simple act of kindness.  Perhaps other corporate execs SHOULD follow Job’s example.

Posted by Obadiah on July 6, 2005 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

OK, I give up. Mabye you don’t want to take the time to read my posts carefully, mabye my English really just is too bad. I tried to explain something GREY - not black, not white. Hail to Steve Jobs. He’s a kind, kind man.

Hopefully, someday somebody will make a documentary about fanatic Apple fans like they did with the Trekkies ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

... and PLEASE - if someone comments on me again, please read at least this sentence of one of my previous posts again:

“I don’t doubt that Steve Jobs call had good intentions and wasn’t about publicity, but personally, I find this call about as useful as movie stars travelling to the third world for some nice photos ...”

You see: I was the last one saying that Jobs did this for publicity, so please don’t mix this up again! My point was something different ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Okay, I’ll comment on that sentence, Lars.

You’re insinuating that movie stars go to third world countries, where there is abject and horrible poverty, simply to make it look like they care.  It’s a nice photo op set up by their publicists so that the general public will think, “Oh, that movie star is so kind to travel to that tiny country” and maybe go see that celebrity’s next movie.  That may or may not be true (as many celebrities do in fact donate large amounts to various charities, some without big press releases noting it).

From the articles, I’m not getting the impression that Steve Jobs needed a publicist to tell him to call the kid’s father.  He didn’t give the guy a free iPod or anything as a token gesture; he told him to call if there was anything he could do to help.  And again, Jobs didn’t go to the press, Dad did.

Maybe my naivete balances out your cynicism, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.  But I firmly believe that Jobs called the kid’s father because he was genuinely sorry that a product that his company produced was the root cause of a senseless murder.

And maybe they will make a documentary of Apple “fanboys”.  It’ll be funny, and I’m sure a lot of iPodLoungers will have starring roles.  But to applaud Jobs for calling and consoling the kid’s father by no means warrants any kind of Apple fanaticism “sect behaviour” tag.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on July 6, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

PushButtonAction: What you write makes perfectly sense. As to the “Apple fanboy documentary” thing: You’re right. I have to admit that I chose the - probably only existing - wrong time for this commentary. This fanatic Apple devotee thing just is SOOOO damn ridiculous and cramped (?) all the other times on hardware news ...etc. I’m not able to understand it, but most of the Apple freaks even seem to believe that a Windows user LIES when he tells he has no problems with his PC and hasn’t seen a blue screen since Win 98 ... I am a PC user and perfectly happy with it, so why should I change? I also think that the iPod is by far the best mp3 player since years - but there are also chances that this will change someday (and therefore, I will also NOT jump on the ...). And regarding this, many people on this and other Apple boards REALLY show a 100% sect behaviour ... Unfortunately, my English is not that good, but I hope you got what I wanted to say.

As to the comparison with the movie stars in the third world, I should have left the “nice photo” thing - that was misleading. I just wanted to say that it doesn’t help and changes anything, so that it is “useless” (not meant in a cold sense, just as a fact). Your kid dies and a Steve Jobs calls you and says something like “If there’s anything - anything - I can do for you, tell me!” just seems ambivalent to me. That was all I tryed to express. What does he expect - that the father says to him: “Send me one of those cool iMac ...”?! Like most of the others here, I believe that the gesture was real - and as the father said that he feels at least a little bit better now, I have no right to say something negative about ist. It just seems ... helplessly strange.

This was my last comment on this topic. Hope I made the nuances a bit clearer with my average English ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

... “jump on the AAC-train” was what I wanted to write. And sorry about all the other slips of the pen I too late discovered after posting.

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

Lars, I may be an apple/Steve Jobs zealot. You are definitely an apple/Steve Jobs hater. Go spread your hate elswhere, because you just come off as a complete #######. I hope with your limited english you understand that.

Posted by Kevin on July 6, 2005 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

#### = A-Hole

Posted by Kevin on July 6, 2005 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Yeah, I am an Apple hater. That’s why I said that the iPod is the best mp3 player on this whole planet. You just made me fell asleep. Es könnte mir nichts egaler sein. Hope you understand this with your NO German ...

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

And please, Kevin: Don’t try to look up the German words - you would be disappointed as they don’t contain primitive abuses like your posts ...

Hey, by the way: Do you have some free time to starr in my Apple fan documentary?

Posted by Lars on July 6, 2005 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

I, unlike Kevin, actually read all of Lars’ posts, and I did not detect the least bit of malice toward apple or Steve Jobs.  Because he made a comment without genuflecting at the apple alter, people assume that he is an apple hater.  He never used abusive language, nor did he claim that Steve Jobs had anything but the best of intentions.

/Apologizes in advance for feeding the trolls.

Posted by Coumos on July 6, 2005 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Mr. Jobs is at a point in his life where he better understands life—he’s maturing in age. His act was selfless, and I can bet you that Apple’s legal department was against him calling. The iPod is society’s current lead in instant gratification and hence instant criminal gratification as well. Even Jobs realizes this and must wonder if the iPod’s symbolism (yes, the iPod actually qualifies for true symbolism) is worth the price of life; in this case, thugs though it was. I think people would be fools to think that this isn’t weighting heavily on Jobs’ mind.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on July 6, 2005 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

One must not forget that Jobs is a father too.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on July 6, 2005 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

Lars, I’ve got better things to do than starr in your little fan doc. Also I wouldn’t care what you said in German, it’s a discusting sounding language from a discusting country, which is why my ancestors left it about a century ago. Loser!

Posted by Kevin on July 6, 2005 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >