Apple’s Steve Jobs discusses iPod, Zune, song pricing, more | iLounge News

Apple’s Steve Jobs discusses iPod, Zune, song pricing, more

In excerpts from a Newsweek interview with Steven Levy, Apple CEO Steve Jobs says he’s unconcerned that the iPod might lose its cool factor because it’s too popular. “That’s like saying you don’t want to kiss your lover’s lips because everyone has lips,” Jobs said. “It doesn’t make any sense. We don’t strive to appear cool. We just try to make the best products we can. And if they are cool, well, that’s great.”

Jobs also said he was not impressed by Microsoft’s Zune media player. “I’ve seen the demonstrations on the Internet about how you can find another person using a Zune and give them a song they can play three times. It takes forever,” Jobs said. “By the time you’ve gone through all that, the girl’s got up and left! You’re much better off to take one of your earbuds out and put it in her ear. Then you’re connected with about two feet of headphone cable.”

The Apple CEO also discussed keeping iTunes song prices at 99 cents. “If we go back now and we raise prices—this is what we told the record companies last year—we will be violating that implicit deal,” Jobs said. “Many [users] will say, ‘I knew it all along that the music companies were gonna screw me, and now they’re screwing me.’ And they would never buy anything from iTunes again.”

Finally, when asked if the iPod will always be about the music, Jobs responded: “Who knows? But it’s hard to imagine that music is not the epicenter of the iPod, for a long, long, long, long, long time… Music is so deep within all of us, but it’s easy to go for a day or a week or a month or a year without really listening to music. And the iPod has changed that for tens of millions of people, and that makes me really happy, because I think music is good for the soul.”

« Apple to report Q4 earnings this week

iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED in stores now »

Comments

If Wal-Mart succeeds in forcing the record companies and RIAA to lower the price of new-release CDs so that WM can sell them for $9.72 and still make a profit…iTunes is going to have to lower the price of badly-compressed 128K files.  There should NEVER be talk of raising the price of an item that costs almost nothing to create (a digital file) and so little to distribute.  If there is any movement, prices should always be going down at iTunes.

Posted by stark23x on October 15, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

That is not going to happen anytime soon where Wal-Mart will dominate the CD market.  Not until they start selling CD’s with Parental Advisory.  I do not understand Wal-Mart’s stance on not selling Parental Advisory stickered albums.  I can buy an Unrated DVD or even a R-Rated movie at Wal-Mart, but I cannot buy a CD with Parental Advisory on it.

You also say there are no costs to distribute.  Do you realize they have to pay for bandwidth, programmers, and still money to the RIAA for the music.  It costs probably near the same to make a CD as to distribute the music.  You are not thinking of the underlying costs.

Posted by Jamie on October 15, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

“If you don’t like iPods, then you are clearly very gay”- Steve Jobs

Posted by _Ethan on October 15, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

this must be a very important article, if ilounge is willing to interrupt their weekend break to post it

Posted by Johnny on October 15, 2006 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

No thats like saying “you dont want to kiss your lover’s lips because she’s been everyone’s B!+(C)H “

That said, I love the iPod reguardless if everyone has one. There’s different types (mini, nano, shuffle, ipod all gens) and colours and different ways to dress it up with the most accessories for any mp3 music player on the market.

Furthermore its a simple, no crap music first player- with all the extras there if you want them, but simplicity first.

Zune is interesting in theory- but not everyone is going to have a zune to share music with… it needs another way to be popular first… trying to imitate iPod in every other way will not make it popular.

I’d stick with creative if you hate Apple… thats ok with me, because I love my iPod.

Posted by Leigh Masson on October 15, 2006 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Jamie, you are absolutely dead wrong about Wal-Mart’s importance to the music business.  Wal-Mart sells 20% of ALL CD’S SOLD in America.  That is so huge that the industry is scared to death of Wal-Mart’s new demands.  Wal-Mart wants all CDs in the $9.72 program and they want to make a profit doing it.  If you think the music industry is going to lose 20% of *ALL* CD sales by saying no, you’re crazy.

Meanwhile, CD sales encompass just 2% of Wal-Mart’s total revenue stream, and they lose money on most new releases.  If they stopped selling CD’s tomorrow, they would never, ever notice.

As for distribution of digital files costing anywhere near making and distributing physical discs?  Well, I’ll let others judge that remark.  I know it’s 100% incorrect.

Posted by stark23x on October 15, 2006 at 8:43 PM (PDT)

It could lead to the long-wanted upgrade from 128kbps to a Lossless option for tracks on the ITS. I’d like that.

Posted by Japester on October 16, 2006 at 2:50 AM (PDT)

It’s not about selling the music at a profit, it is about locking people into a playback solution (iTunes, iPod and soon to be iTV).  If you have bought from the iTunes store you are locked into these hardware/software solutions for playback.

Posted by Tim on October 16, 2006 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

Its not about locking people into anything Tim.

You have alternatives to choose from, regardless of what they do or do not offer there is always a choice.

That comment of yours has been discussed over and over and over again.

Get over it already.

Posted by unreal on October 16, 2006 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Great point, Japester.  I’d pay about a buck less than a physical CD for lossless tracks from ITMS.  I’d buy a lot of music that way if they offered the option.

Posted by stark23x on October 16, 2006 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Unreal…get real!  It is about locking people in.  It’s always been about locking people in for Apple.  It will always be about locking people in for Apple (and Microsoft with their current Zune efforts).

Other format wars (CD’s, LP’s, Cassettes, DVD’s, VHS) have been about getting you to convert.  They’ve been about getting you to re-invest, but none have been so blatantly about locking you in as the Apple iPod/ACC format war.

I like Wal-Mart’s approach to make CD’s $9.72.  I’ll rip it myself.  My library is built on VBR MP3 files and I like knowing that my library will play on anything…even the Zune if I get one.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 16, 2006 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Wow Madness…rip music from CDs that you own?

What an interesting alternative.

Look before u leap next time.

Posted by unreal on October 16, 2006 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

“Music is so deep within all of us, but it’s easy to go for a day or a week or a month or a year without really listening to music. And the iPod has changed that for tens of millions of people, and that makes me really happy, because I think music is good for the soul.”

I loved music in my youth and lived with it constantly, but as I grew older I found it hard to find time to listen to music over a traditional stereo system. The iPod changed all of that for me and I now listen to music every day again. I am re-discovering a joy that I had lost. So this is true for me at least.

Posted by Orcin on October 16, 2006 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

I would MUCH rather buy from itunes than Wal-Mart.
You dont even have to leave the room to get a new song, and it is a good format W/Album Artwork.

iTunes ALL THE WAY FOR ME!!!!

Posted by LawnBoy04 on October 16, 2006 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

Unreal…like I said…get real, dude!  Ripping CD’s is an alternative I’m sure Apple would like many to forget about.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 16, 2006 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

You’d think I, of all people, would diss and dismiss the Zune. But I won’t. I’m curious about it.

Posted by Charles O. on October 16, 2006 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

Madness, do you even listen to yourself?

To quote a good but old cartoon…

Your like school on Sunday….no class

Posted by unreal on October 17, 2006 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

“If you think the music industry is going to lose 20% of *ALL* CD sales by saying no, you’re crazy.” - stark23x

First of all, the music industry wouldn’t lose 20% of all CD sales.  Wal-mart would lose 80-90% of it’s sales.

People that buy CD’s don’t just shop at Wal-mart.  They’ll go to Target, Best Buy or whatever other store they have in their area.

The music industry doesn’t HAVE to sell to Wal-Mart.  But if Wal-Mart wants to sell music, they HAVE to buy from the music industry.

As to Apple locking us into their format, don’t buy Apple if you don’t like it.  It’s as simple as that.

It’s called the principle of “alternatives”, “choices,” and “taking responsibility for your own decisions and actions.”

Posted by JokerPoker on October 17, 2006 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

“I think music is good for the soul.”

Yeah Steve, its also good for your wallet!

Posted by jqc on October 17, 2006 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

i have loved music since i was 3 years old. i had a walkman and a discman and right at the moment i have a ipod mini. there is one thing said earlier, that ” u have choices” and its true guys. i have a Zune pre-ordered and im taking a chance and seeing if microsoft has it in them to be a worthy opponent to apples ipod. im a diehard microsoft fan. i own the xbox the xbox 360 and have 3 computers that run on windows. is all in what u like. if u like apple then thats u. i want some thing that i can use on my computers and my 360. the zune can. not the ipod. im looking for a great media solution for all my music, movies, and pics. and it looks like a viable choice to make. the zune interfaces with all my needs.

Posted by Deadbreathless on October 22, 2006 at 9:53 PM (PDT)