Apple’s Steve Jobs gives podcast interview | iLounge News

Apple’s Steve Jobs gives podcast interview

Jake Tapper of the ABC News Shuffle podcast has interviewed Apple CEO Steve Jobs about iTunes 4.9 and podcasting. You can download the podcast interview or read a transcript of the interview online.

When asked if podcasts will remain free, Jobs said: “Well, you know, podcasting has been free since the beginning. It’s been an emerging phenomenon that has been growing very rapidly. But we’re hoping to take it mainstream with the latest version of iTunes, which has everything you need to podcast built right in it. So podcasts, I think they’re gonna remain free. Although I do think we may start to see some advertising tagged onto them in the coming months.”

Jobs went on to discuss why podcasting is so convenient: “I think one of the most precious resources we all have these days is free time. And that’s one of the great things about an iPod is you can use it while you’re doing other stuff. So you can use it while you’re exercising. You can use it while you’re taking the subway to work, driving to work, et cetera.”

“What podcasting does is it lets me pick out those precise things I’m interested in,” Jobs said. “Whether it’s a podcast on new films that have just come out, on music, whatever. And it automatically—every time there’s a new episode of that particular show, it automatically puts it on iTunes and syncs it to my iPod. So without any work on my part whatsoever, when I’m driving to work tomorrow, the latest and greatest episodes of the podcasts that I’ve picked are right on my iPod, saving me a ton of time.”

« Forums: iTunes 4.9, iPod reshuffle, 5G’s unwanted, Audiophile?

CSFB expects iPod shuffle, iPod mini storage increase »

Comments

Kinda ironic that when trying to download the interview I get “The item you requested is not available in the Finnish store”.

Same thing with the “iTunes New Music Tuesday -podcast”.

Sigh…

Posted by Oliver on June 29, 2005 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

I can’t even use it with the US store.

Posted by wt McGee in Atlanta, Ga on June 29, 2005 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

Let’s hope the “advertising” that Steve is talking about isn’t something being “implemented” or “enabled” by Apple and iTunes. That would ruin the entire experience.

Posted by coolfactor on June 29, 2005 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

For those of you in the US who want to hear this, use this link:

Posted by Bill on June 29, 2005 at 7:32 PM (CDT)

Or you could listen to it here:

Posted by Matt on June 30, 2005 at 9:24 AM (CDT)

Too bad that Apple thinks that Podcasts are more important than playing music on the Ipod.

They have now REMOVED the feature that allowed Smart Playlists to Live Update on the Ipod on their new models, and on the new firmware release.

The older 3G Ipods now have more control over playlists than the new 4G Ipods.

Posted by BuzzardBait on June 30, 2005 at 2:37 PM (CDT)