Apple’s Steve Jobs on innovation, iPod releases | iLounge News

Apple’s Steve Jobs on innovation, iPod releases

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, May 26, 2006
News Categories:

image

In an interview with Brian Williams for NBC News, Apple CEO Steve Jobs commented on innovation and the speed in which new iPods are being released. “As the technology keeps moving and lets us do more and more, we want to bring customers with that, not just leave them using stuff that they could do five years ago,” Jobs said. “You keep on innovating, you keep on making better stuff. And if you always want the latest and greatest, then you have to buy a new iPod at least once a year.” When asked by Williams where he sees himself in the American family of thinkers and inventors, Jobs said: “I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what’s next.”

« Podstar Diablo cases for 5G iPods announced

Mix: Concerto table, iSee cases, iPodulator Pro, iWeddings »

Comments

Hey Steve can I have .5 percent of your gross annual earnings?  Then I could afford to buy a new iPod every year.  Until then I got to tell the wife and kids sorry no dinner this week I’m gonna buy a new iPOD.

Posted by Joe on May 26, 2006 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

He didn’t say you had to buy a new iPod every year, just that technology was progressing so fast that if you always wanted the latest and greatest you would have to.

If that wasn’t the case then Apple would lose their edge in the market because they’d be stagnating innovation wise.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on May 26, 2006 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

2$ a day will get you a new ipod every year… not that much really wink

Posted by Dzign on May 26, 2006 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

iPods are $730 now?

Posted by ort on May 26, 2006 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

somebody gotta go back to the 2nd grade…

Posted by slayer on May 26, 2006 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

musta been listening to his iPod instead of paying attention in math class…  wink

Posted by good grief on May 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

don’t be too hard on Dzign—-probably just rattled off a quick figure…with the current price point on a 30 gig, not to mention nanos and what not, you could obviously keep up with the newest iPod for under $1 per day, or approximately the price of a newspaper.

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on May 26, 2006 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

so when is the new one coming out?

Posted by Jordan on May 26, 2006 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

iPods seem expensive at first, but if you compare the amount of entertainment I get out of my iPod, the overall cost to entertainment value ratio is probably the highest of anything I own.

I use my iPod everyday for 6-7 hours at work, plus 45 minutes in my car, and then probably about 20-30 minutes at home. That’s about 7-8 hours a day.

So far I have been keeping iPods for about 2 years… That’s about .34¢ a day. (not counting what I spend on music, which is a whole different story).

Posted by ort on May 26, 2006 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

Boy, I sure hope “the next big thing” is really great, and I hope not to have to wait too long for it! smile

Posted by Black Beauty on May 26, 2006 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Jeffery Simpson-

Lame comment, bro!

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on May 26, 2006 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

ort, you spend 1/3 of every day listening to music, podcasts, or videos on your ipod?

Jesus, takes those stupid ear phones out of your ears and listen to the world around you.

Posted by el diablo on May 26, 2006 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

Which means another 1/3 is sleeping, so he he has 8 hours free time.

Posted by nojok3 on May 26, 2006 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

If you want the latest and greatest of anything you have to at least buy one a year. How often does a new processor come out. Or how about cell phones nokia and Motorola come out with new phones all the time. What is apple supposed to do not keep innovating and coming out with new products. I would say one new iPod a year is just right. And just because there is a new one out doesn’t mean your old one doesn’t work just as well as it always has.

Posted by jaosn on May 26, 2006 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

hmm..i buy an ipod a year..almost. i got my first one 7/2005…another one 2/2006 and another 4/2006.
you mean to tell me that this is his evil plan??? well he made a fool of me.

Posted by Ru on May 26, 2006 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

ok. 52 weeks in a year. if you work monday through friday thats 5 days (duh). 52 x 5 = 260

the sales tax in florida is 6.5 percent. so that would make a $400 60gb 5G ipod $426.

$426 divided by the 260 days a year we work is about $1.65 per day you work. so basically, $1.65 of every day you work for a year will buy you a video ipod. thats not that bad.

Posted by random crazy person on May 26, 2006 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

A lame comment is something with no substance to it…so at least Jeffery Simpson is actually saying something (in my opinion pretty valid points). A lame comment goes something to the affect….

Talking Madness -
Lame comment, bro!

BTW - appropriate moniker bro!

Posted by Sebby on May 26, 2006 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

Sebby-

Admit it, there’s something absurd about buying an iPod a year.  You may do it, I know I’ve done it, but there’s something absurd about it.  Jeffery’s standard “I got your back Jobs” response was lame, and you know it.  If you don’t know it, just think about it for a minute and you’ll get it.  I know you will get it, you’re a smart guy.

Oh, thanks for the compliment.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on May 26, 2006 at 9:52 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness -

Mate, in any other field I’d admit that the ompany were extracting the urine and ultimately to Jobs this means more money - bottom line. But, in defense of Mr. Simpson - no one’s got a gun to our heads to buy one. In fact, I bloody try and talk my way out of buying the latest iPod release each time - but fail! And why do I fail? Because each new iteration either has new design or functional features I gotta have. Each to their own, but I know I’m waiting with baited breath for the next one. This strategy will only fail when Apple undelivers on the cost tradeoff of procuring this new kit, to date I ain’t been dissapointed yet….....

Posted by Sebby on May 27, 2006 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

Are you kidding?  $1.65/day is not that bad?  Do you have any experience managing money?  How much do you think your self phone costs you per day?  Your car?  $1.65/day is about $50/month.  That’s not nothing; that’s a bill—in case you’ve ever paid one.

Posted by Saywhat? on May 27, 2006 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >