Apps: Adobe Voice, Cinamatic, GoodReader 4 + Record Run
Adobe’s new Adobe Voice (free) app lets users create videos in minutes, backed by their own voices. It’s very easy to use — you record some audio, and then pick a photo or icon to back the recording. Users can change the layout, pick from pre-set visual themes, and pick music for a backing soundtrack. The app also provides access to Creative Commons-licensed material for use in the video, which can be shared on a number of social networks. Of course, your own photos can be used, as well. It’s best to think of Voice as a presentation maker, rather than a true short film creator.
Another new short video app debuting recently is Cinamatic ($2), from Hipstamatic. Unlike Voice, Cinamatic is more of a filmmaking app. The app lets users shoot 3 to 15-second films and add video filters. Those videos can be posted to Instagram, Vine, or Facebook. It’s another short filmmaking app joining a space that’s getting a bit more crowded — perhaps the filters and the app’s design will be enough to get Vine and Instagram video users to take a look.
GoodReader 4 from Good.iWare is a new universal app that adds a number of new features to go along with the same PDF reading functionality GoodReader apps have had in the past. iOS users can now insert blank pages, rearrange pages in a document, rotate individual pages, delete pages, append pages from other PDF files and more. Users of the old GoodReader app can transfer all files and settings using the Migration Assistant. GoodReader 4 is available for $3 for a limited time.
Harmonix’s Record Run (free) is a new endless runner that creates levels based on your music collection. It will place your songs into the game and create a level around the beat, which is a neat trick that should add a bit of replay value. The gameplay itself offers a bit more than your typical running game, as players are rewarded for letting their character as close as possible to an obstacle before dodging. The 3/4 side view and detailed backgrounds do their part to help the game stand out, as well. While the stream of endless runners in the App Store seems ... well ... endless, Record Run might have enough to be your new favorite game in the genre.
- Google Spotlight Stories, PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX, Stupid Zombies 3 + more
- Microsoft releases email messaging app for iOS
- Apple blocks App Store reviews from users running iOS betas
- FastMail adds full support for push e-mail in iOS Mail
- AnyList, Coda 2, Navigon, Numix
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?