Apps: Broken Age, (R)evolve, Skype 5.0 + VVVVVV
Broken Age ($10) from Double Fine Productions is the first graphic adventure game in 16 years from developer Tim Schafer. Famously funded through Kickstarter, Broken Age is an iPad-only game which was first released on other platforms in January. Players control two teenagers who find themselves in similar situations, but in completely different magical worlds. A star-studded affair, it features the voice talents of Elijah Wood, Jack Black, Jennifer Hale, Wil Wheaton, and Pendleton Ward. The game has been well reviewed, and if you’re a fan of point-and-click adventures, it would make a lot of sense to get the iPad version. Act 1 is now available, and Act 2 of the game will be added as an in-app purchase in the future.
(R)evolve (free) is a new release from Team17 Software, best known for developing the Worms series. The game tasks players with taking care of life on an alien planet as meteors crash down upon it in different waves and patterns. Controls are simple — press the left side of the screen to spin the planet to the left, and likewise for the right. You’re aimed with making sure the meteorites hit the bare spots on the planet. Winner of The Great British Game Jam 2014, (R)evolve is a neat little game that’s worth a try for free; a $1 in-app purchase removes ads.
Skype has redesigned its free Skype for iPhone app in version 5.0. The app has been revamped to start up faster and puts recent conversations first. Users can now create groups, share photos, and leave video messages. The updated app makes it easier to switch between conversations, and new in-app controls lets users better manage notifications.
Terry Cavanagh’s platformer VVVVVV ($3) was released for Mac in 2010; it hits iOS nearly four years later. Of course, if you haven’t played it — or heard of it — it’s new to you. The touchscreen controls are simple, as players use the left side of the screen to move, and the right side of the screen to “flip” — you reverse gravity to stand on the ceiling or the floor. This is how you get around obstacles, rather than jumping. It introduces some interesting play dynamics. Graphics are very basic, but don’t detract from the experience at all. If you haven’t tried it before, VVVVVV is a fun twist on the platform genre.
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?