Apps: Angry Birds Space 2.0, Catan 4.0.5, Disney Villains Challenge + Rival Knights
Rovio is claiming its newest update for Angry Birds Space ($1) is its biggest update ever, and has given it a fitting name: Beak Impact. The new episode in version 2.0.0 introduces 40 new levels, in addition to 10 bonus levels. Players can unlock bonus levels by, strangely enough, finding NASA research spacecraft within the levels. Lest you think that was the end of astronautical tie-ins in this update, you are mistaken, as there is now a Buzz Aldrin bird. No, that sentence was not a joke. The Aldrin-inspired “Mighty Buzzard” is now in full effect, and it can completely obliterate an entire level.
USM has updated both Catan and the iPad-only Catan HD (both $5) to version 4.0.5. It’s a major update as the game — a port of the already-classic board game The Settlers of Catan — now offers online multiplayer. Players must register on the Catan servers to access online multiplayer. Both the basic game and the Seafarers expansion are supported, with the Cities & Knights multiplayer to be added in the next update. A number of other optimizations and improvements were also included within the update.
Disney recently released Disney Villains Challenge, a new app filled with mini-games featuring popular Disney villains Maleficent, Cruella De Vil, and Captain Hook. The free download includes six mini-games, and the full game can be unlocked for $3. A good comparison for Disney Villains Challenge would be Nintendo’s Wario Ware games — the mini-games come fast and furious with little explanation. If you don’t download the full game unlock, you’ll be through everything in less than a minute.
Gameloft’s newest, Rival Knights, is a Medieval jousting game. Players take control of a knight, which they can name, and are then thrust into battle. Though the presentation is nice, as expected from Gameloft, the gameplay itself is very simple — you time taps to make your horse go faster, then when you’re in the right position, you drag your lance onto an identified weak spot on the opponent. We worked our way through the first “league” in a few minutes. There’s not much variety to the gameplay, but some may get a visceral thrill out of the action. Among the many bells and whistles included are the abilities to unlock and upgrade weapons and armor, and challenge other players in asynchronous multiplayer, which is an intriguing concept. Rival Knights is free, but its IAPs are always lurking.
- Airmail, Day One 2, Airfoil Satellite, Instagram + Pocket
- Facebook rolls out Live Video to US users
- Microsoft releases News Pro app for iOS
- Report: Apple to offer subscription content via News app
- Frogmind releases Badland 2
- BBC iPlayer app arrives on Apple TV in UK
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!