Apps: Automatic 2.0, Paper 1.2, Slingshot + WebMD 5.0
Automatic Labs, makers of the Automatic Link, has released version 2.0 of the Automatic app. The free app, which can only be used in conjunction with the accessory, has been redesigned and can now give users fuel level updates and low-fuel warnings. Also, the speed warning alerts can now be customized to whatever speed the user wants.
Facebook has updated its Paper (free) app to version 1.2. The app has added a number of new features, many of which have long been accessible through the original Facebook app. A user can now edit his or her profile picture and cover photo, view photo tags, tag friends, add hashtags, copy text, and more. It may not sound like much to normal users of the Facebook app, but considering Paper’s added visual appeal, some people may prefer Paper as the features come closer to achieving parity.
Also new from Facebook today is Slingshot (free), the company’s answer to Snapchat. Like Snapchat, users can take photos and videos — with added captions, if they prefer — and send it to a friend. Users can also add drawings to their photos. When a shot or video is swiped away, it’s gone forever. Unlike Snapchat, recipients won’t be able to see what’s been sent until they send something back. The app encourages participation, but some longtime Snapchat users might be frustrated by the back-and-forth nature.
WebMD has updated its WebMD (free) app to version 5.0. The update is notable for one key reason: it has introduced Healthy Target, a program that tracks health data in one place, much like Apple’s recently announced HealthKit. Users can connect an activity tracker, wireless scale, or glucometer to view all the data in one place. Healthy Target supports devices from Fitbit, Jawbone, Withings, Entra, and Telcare. Though it won’t be exactly the same as what HealthKit will offer, this app should give users a decent idea of what Apple’s trying to do.
- Layout from Instagram, Periscope, The Trace + Apple Watch app updates
- Atari Fit, Launcher, Stormblades, Camera+ 6.2, GoodReader 4.1 + IMDb 5.0
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Nintendo to develop games for smartphones
- Age of Sparta, Google Calendar, Snow White + more
- Apple wants networks to handle streaming for its web TV service
- Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?