Apps: Automatic 2.0, Paper 1.2, Slingshot + WebMD 5.0
Automatic Labs, makers of the Automatic Link, has released version 2.0 of the Automatic app. The free app, which can only be used in conjunction with the accessory, has been redesigned and can now give users fuel level updates and low-fuel warnings. Also, the speed warning alerts can now be customized to whatever speed the user wants.
Facebook has updated its Paper (free) app to version 1.2. The app has added a number of new features, many of which have long been accessible through the original Facebook app. A user can now edit his or her profile picture and cover photo, view photo tags, tag friends, add hashtags, copy text, and more. It may not sound like much to normal users of the Facebook app, but considering Paper’s added visual appeal, some people may prefer Paper as the features come closer to achieving parity.
Also new from Facebook today is Slingshot (free), the company’s answer to Snapchat. Like Snapchat, users can take photos and videos — with added captions, if they prefer — and send it to a friend. Users can also add drawings to their photos. When a shot or video is swiped away, it’s gone forever. Unlike Snapchat, recipients won’t be able to see what’s been sent until they send something back. The app encourages participation, but some longtime Snapchat users might be frustrated by the back-and-forth nature.
WebMD has updated its WebMD (free) app to version 5.0. The update is notable for one key reason: it has introduced Healthy Target, a program that tracks health data in one place, much like Apple’s recently announced HealthKit. Users can connect an activity tracker, wireless scale, or glucometer to view all the data in one place. Healthy Target supports devices from Fitbit, Jawbone, Withings, Entra, and Telcare. Though it won’t be exactly the same as what HealthKit will offer, this app should give users a decent idea of what Apple’s trying to do.
- Airmail, Day One 2, Airfoil Satellite, Instagram + Pocket
- Facebook rolls out Live Video to US users
- Microsoft releases News Pro app for iOS
- Report: Apple to offer subscription content via News app
- Frogmind releases Badland 2
- BBC iPlayer app arrives on Apple TV in UK
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!