Apps: Comedy Central, Endless Numbers, Shazam 7.5 + Tabular Mobile
Comedy Central has released an all new free app. The app features full episodes available the day after airing — generally provided that you sign in with a television provider. There are, however, a number of shows which don’t require a sign-in. Some of the network’s most popular programs, including The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, South Park, and @midnight, are all available for free viewing. The Comedy Central app also includes some archived shows and stand-up specials.
Following Endless Alphabet and Endless Reader, leading childrens’ app developer Originator has debuted Endless Numbers (Free*), and it’s even better than its predecessors — something that we wouldn’t have thought possible. While the focus is seemingly on a specific number your child selects, the app uses each number as a chance to teach sequences, rather than just matching one number to its outline. You pick a number from a ferris wheel filled with different characters, then do several activities for each number. Pick 5 and the numbers 1 through 5 need to be matched on screen, followed by matching the numbers to a simple addition problem, then by interacting with an animated character or set of characters representing the number. As was the case with the past titles, the animation and audio are both fantastic enough that it’s hard to object to the $4 in-app asking price for numbers 6-25; 1-5 are included in the initial free download.
Shazam Entertainment has updated its free Shazam app to version 7.5. The music identification app now offers a whole new track page design — some pages have song lyrics that scroll in time with the music. Shazam can connect to Facebook and Rdio, as Rdio users can add Shazam tracks to their playlists. Auto Shazam is also now more efficient for improved battery life.
Tabular Mobile is a new tablature editor app from Chromatic Labs that lets users read and write music for guitar, bass, drums, and more. The iPad-only app allows users to create for nearly any stringed instrument with 3 to 12 strings. A built-in library of tunings is included, along with a ton of other features. The app’s MIDI playback includes 53 different instrument sounds. Users can import from Guitar Pro or MIDI and export to PDF, MIDI, or plain text formats. A companion Mac app syncs with the iOS app through iCloud, as well. Tabular Mobile is free, but users can upgrade to Tabular+ for $10 to remove all restrictions, get custom tunings and more.
- Apps of the Week: OmniFocus 2 for iPad, Transmit, Asphalt Overdrive + more
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: The Met, Iconic, Infinity Blade 1.4 + more
- The Room Three coming to iOS next spring
- Apple updates App Store Guidelines, reveals app rejection reasons
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch