Apps: FireChat, Photowall for Chromecast, Second Canvas Museo del Prado + Starbucks 3.0
FireChat is a new free app from Open Garden that lets users send messages to other nearby users without an Internet connection or mobile coverage, using iOS 7’s Multipeer Connectivity Framework to link users together. Users can see what FireChat users everywhere are talking about, or they have the option of creating conversations for just nearby users. The nearby chat function works best within 30 feet and may be ideal for events or private conversations between friends in a larger group. FireChat has limitations — it’s not possible to create private conversations, for one thing — but it’s an interesting idea with lots of potential.
Google’s new Photowall for Chromecast is a free photo app described as a “Chrome Experiment.” Photowall lets users send photos from phones or tablets to a TV using Chromecast. The app takes users to a browser, where they can add pics one at a time. Anyone can participate using the provided link and code to make a live scrapbook of sorts. After the Photowall is finished, the app auto-generates a YouTube video of the experience. Google has some kinks to work out with the concept, but it’s a cool addition for Chromecast users.
Second Canvas Museo del Prado ($4) by Museo Nacional del Prado is a genuinely exciting app for art aficionados — a collection of 14 famous paintings found in one of Spain’s most famous museums, each rendered using “Gigapixel” (minimum 1 billion pixels) photography. In addition to giving users the ability to zoom in on the finest details of paintings by Rembrant, Raphael, El Greco and others, Second Canvas includes brief audio narration, text discussions, and location maps for each painting, plus non-Gigapixel images of over 60 other paintings that help to explain the others. While the Second Canvas app can be used at the museum to study the works in detail, the renditions of the paintings are so impressive that they can be enjoyed at home or elsewhere, as well. Interestingly, the Museo del Prado’s version of The Mona Lisa — a copy of the original attributed to da Vinci’s workshop — is sold as a $1 in-app purchase rather than included with the rest, a sign of the value the museum places on that particular work’s enduring mysteries.
The official Starbucks (free) app got a major update in version 3.0, and has since updated to version 3.1 with bug fixes and improvements. Redesigned for iOS 7, the Starbucks app now features a simplified view giving users easy access to paying with a Starbucks Card, checking rewards, locating stores, and giving Starbucks gifts. A messages section offers free app and song downloads and Starbucks deals.
- Apps of the Week: Auxy, Golfinity, Space Age, Monument Valley + more
- Apps of the Week: Julius Jr.‘s Playground, Nighty Night Circus, Google Maps + iMovie
- Microsoft Office apps gain iPhone support, free editing
- Apps of the Week: SimCity BuildIt, Run Sackboy! Run!, Star Wars: Galactic Defense + more
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Apps of the Week: Inbox by Gmail, Pixelmator, NHL 2K + more
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Google settles patent litigation with Apple’s Rockstar consortium
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 4
- Report: GT Advanced struggled with sapphire production
- Report: Apple plans to integrate Beats Music directly into iOS
- Apple plans to ‘repurpose’ Arizona manufacturing plant, save jobs
- Apple announces WatchKit software tools available to developers now
- Apple ordered to pay $23.6M in pager technology settlement
- Apple opens up Lightning port to third-party manufacturers, begins accepting HomeKit plans
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.1
- Apple adds UnionPay support to Chinese App Store
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Logitech Keys-to-Go For iPad
- IvySkin Renegade for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Infinity Infinity One Wireless Speaker
- Twelve South PlugBug World iPad/iPhone Charger
- Pelican Protector for iPhone 6 and Voyager for iPhone 6 Plus
- STM Flip for iPhone 6
- Griffin Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Olloclip 4-in-1 Photo Lens for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0