Apps: FireChat, Photowall for Chromecast, Second Canvas Museo del Prado + Starbucks 3.0
FireChat is a new free app from Open Garden that lets users send messages to other nearby users without an Internet connection or mobile coverage, using iOS 7’s Multipeer Connectivity Framework to link users together. Users can see what FireChat users everywhere are talking about, or they have the option of creating conversations for just nearby users. The nearby chat function works best within 30 feet and may be ideal for events or private conversations between friends in a larger group. FireChat has limitations — it’s not possible to create private conversations, for one thing — but it’s an interesting idea with lots of potential.
Google’s new Photowall for Chromecast is a free photo app described as a “Chrome Experiment.” Photowall lets users send photos from phones or tablets to a TV using Chromecast. The app takes users to a browser, where they can add pics one at a time. Anyone can participate using the provided link and code to make a live scrapbook of sorts. After the Photowall is finished, the app auto-generates a YouTube video of the experience. Google has some kinks to work out with the concept, but it’s a cool addition for Chromecast users.
Second Canvas Museo del Prado ($4) by Museo Nacional del Prado is a genuinely exciting app for art aficionados — a collection of 14 famous paintings found in one of Spain’s most famous museums, each rendered using “Gigapixel” (minimum 1 billion pixels) photography. In addition to giving users the ability to zoom in on the finest details of paintings by Rembrant, Raphael, El Greco and others, Second Canvas includes brief audio narration, text discussions, and location maps for each painting, plus non-Gigapixel images of over 60 other paintings that help to explain the others. While the Second Canvas app can be used at the museum to study the works in detail, the renditions of the paintings are so impressive that they can be enjoyed at home or elsewhere, as well. Interestingly, the Museo del Prado’s version of The Mona Lisa — a copy of the original attributed to da Vinci’s workshop — is sold as a $1 in-app purchase rather than included with the rest, a sign of the value the museum places on that particular work’s enduring mysteries.
The official Starbucks (free) app got a major update in version 3.0, and has since updated to version 3.1 with bug fixes and improvements. Redesigned for iOS 7, the Starbucks app now features a simplified view giving users easy access to paying with a Starbucks Card, checking rewards, locating stores, and giving Starbucks gifts. A messages section offers free app and song downloads and Starbucks deals.
- An Octave Higher, Broken Age, Week Weather, Apple Store, Amazon Instant Video + more
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Does not Commute, Pursuit of Light, Tiltagon, Lightroom, Keynote + PowerPoint
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Halo: Spartan Bundle, Cut!, Sago Mini Toolbox, Chrome, System Monitor + Tumblr
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?